Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my car wet sanded, corrected, polished and coated by Polished2Perfection in Hanover, Maryland. I can't say how impressed I'm am by the work. Here are the cliffnotes: Wetsanded it down with trizac 3000, polished it out with M100 and microfiber, then m205 and rupes yellow foam. Finished it off with Carpro Essence and yellow foam. Applied a coat of CQuartz classic and baked it with IR heat lamps, then applied a coat of CQuartz UK and baked again.
He had about 20 hours in it. If anyone in the Mid Atlantic area is looking for the best detailer around, look no further. Pix and video don't do justice to his work, but here are a few. My only regret is not having it done sooner.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks amazing.....but how much? Sounds like you need some deep pockets for that level of detailing. I do need some paint correction too but my car lives outside and gets driven all year long, there's no way I could justify spending $500+ or even twice that for a detail.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is the irony. If your car lives outside it would really benefit from ceramic coating. If you're going to coat it, it should be corrected first. Once done it will be much easier to keep clean and be protected from environmental hazards like bird droppings, tree sap, etc. The work on my car was over $1k. For a single stage correction and coating it would be less than that but still more than $500. There are price estimates listed on his FB page.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love paint correction. But it takes so long! Looks like they did a great job. I invested in a Griot's Garage DA a while back, and with a lot of research, have figured out how to do a decent job with this stuff.

It takes some guts to take sandpaper to your paint for the first time, let me tell you.

So JAYD -- you might look into picking up your own tools and polishes. For a few hundred bucks you'll have what you need for the basics...

If you want to keep it simple, you can get a DA, 3 types of pads (compound/polish/wax -- 3 of each type), meguiars ultimate compound and meguiars ultimate polish. It's hard to mess up with these. That's how i started.

oh, and you'll need to claybar before you start..

I've been eyeing the ceramic coating stuff lately -- trying to separate the snake oil from the goods!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here is a list of equipment and materials used on a full detail. It's a bit more than "A few hundred bucks".
Nice list! I did forget microfiber on my list of basics -- and yeah -- you could spend significantly more than 300-500 bucks easily. Just trying to give a more basic option for a lower budget... results will be on par with materials quality, but you can do some good work with it. The car is not going to be at good as yours above for sure!

I usually end up getting overwhelmed by all the options and reviews on all this stuff withe the more advanced options. I know a lot of the products are worth the money, but it can be hard to figure out what is what!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't discount the skills required to get the results. I could buy a Steinway grand piano, but will never be Motzart. The best paint in the world won't make me Picasso. It's the combination of materials and equipment AND the skills and experience to get the most out of them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Why do you have to show me this?! I've been wanting some level paint correction and polish. Was considering using one of those mobile guys, but your results are incredible.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Evil_

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I need to get the ceramic done on my car. I'm sick of waxing every weekend. lol.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Ceramic coatings can last around a year. A paint sealant will be around 6 months and a carnauba waxes around 3. All 3 will vary due to the amount of washing you do and the environment you live in. Vid shows error for me. Looks fine in the pic.

Hope he did a read on the paints depth before he wet sanded. Whenever you correct paint ,you want to be sure you should. Anything below 3.5mm is a no go. Once your paint has hit that mark , you don't want to remove any more layers. Doing so can risk failure to the paint system. Meaning the paint will no longer be able to protect the metal.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ceramic coatings can last around a year. A paint sealant will be around 6 months and a carnauba waxes around 3. All 3 will vary due to the amount of washing you do and the environment you live in. Vid shows error for me. Looks fine in the pic.

Hope he did a read on the paints depth before he wet sanded. Whenever you correct paint ,you want to be sure you should. Anything below 3.5mm is a no go. Once your paint has hit that mark , you don't want to remove any more layers. Doing so can risk failure to the paint system. Meaning the paint will no longer be able to protect the metal.
Some questionable info here. Saying a ceramic coating lasts a year, that really all depends on how well its cared for. If it's a garage queen like mine, then 4 or 5 years would be easy with proper care. If it's outside 24/7 and not cared for, sure a year is a good estimate but at the same time, a sealant isn't going to last 6 months under those same conditions.

As far as measuring paint depth, 3000 grit is nothing and it removes such a small amount of the tips of the orange peel, there's nothing he was concerned with. If it was alreàdy flat and he was trying to make it flatter, that would be different.

Any local guys interested in having this done but are scared off by price, shoot Brian a FB message or give him a call. You might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I think the price is fine for what you get. Shoot, if its going to save me time having to spend hours on my car before a car show, I'm in. But yes, durability is all in how it's cared for, or what type of environment the car lives in.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
That's why I said it depends on the environment.

As for the other question. If he is already at the point of 3.5 mils. Then a little bit is too much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts