Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the board and I should probably introduce myself. I am new to G8s, but not to LS vehicles. I have owned a couple fourth gen F-Bodies, had a 76mm/80E/Etc. 2003 Silverado. I have also started and sold quite a few turbo LS builds including a foxbody, S-10, Volvo 245 and probably some other stuff, haha.

I purchased my G8 on Monday December 3rd 2018. The car was a trade at a local dealership and I stumbled upon it by accident while driving by. I had been looking for one for quite some time and had specific wants. This car actually met and exceeded them. I knew I wanted white with decently low miles, wanted the premium option, but without a sunroof. My plan was to find one and start off easy with a Roto-Fab Intake and a Solo Axle back. This is part of where I lucked out as this car actually had both of those things already. My plans are to build a blower car that I can still put my son in the back of and drive anywhere with some style and comfort. I will go ahead and give the basics.

Car Purchased:
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Hot White Exterior
Premium/Sport Package
Black/Red Interior
72,240 Miles
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Solo Axle Back

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Not one to leave well enough alone I went to my friend's speed shop today and ordered some parts to start off with my build.

ZL1 Torque Converter
American Racing Headers & Midpipe
LS3 Valley Cover/PCV Parts/ Gasket
BTR .660 Spring Kit
BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam
Johnson Lifters
LS2 Trays/Chain/Damper/Etc.
Smith Trunion Kit
LS9 Headgaskets
ARP HeadStuds
Melling 10295 Oil Pump
ARP Crank Bolt
Miscellaneous Gaskets & Seals

Once I get everything in I will measure for pushrods and get them ordered up. I will also be ordering some more parts here in the next day or two. Car could stand for some new brakes and I will probably do things like the carrier bearing and driveshaft flex joint while I have the exhaust off. Also eyeballing a set of the Aussie MGT Shocks and King Springs, but I need to do some more research on that first.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow good start! Congratulations on your purchase. I intimidated and outsourced the upgrades on engine and tuning. Cost a lot but has been bug free so far. Good luck with the build. Let us know how it turns out.

·
F1rehawk
619 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Car is very clean. And that's one impressive list of parts to "start off" your build lol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow good start! Congratulations on your purchase. I intimidated and outsourced the upgrades on engine and tuning. Cost a lot but has been bug free so far. Good luck with the build. Let us know how it turns out.

Thank you! I can understand being cautious and it often saves headaches to have it done by a reputable shop. Luckily I cut my teeth on cheaper builds, so less worry about problems. A lot of the stuff around here we do is 1/8th mile no prep stuff. Lots of guys making 800+WHP on stock bottom ends, so longevity was never a huge concern. Makes it easier to start wrenching when you know you'll probably be replacing the $300 5.3L bottom end within a month or two, haha.

Welcome to the forum. Car is very clean. And that's one impressive list of parts to "start off" your build lol.

Thanks to you as well. It's not too bad of a start, haha. I actually ordered a few more parts today, but figured guys would be more interested in seeing stuff as it came in than a list of stuff. So, I will go that route for now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blower or turbos in your future?

Blower I think. Likely an LSA with a few upgrades. I like the predictability as well as the street manners. The reliability seems to be very good as well. The car will get driven quite a bit including several hundred miles trips to see family and things like that. I really want something that will bang with most sedans on the road and will also comfortably take my son and I anywhere, anytime.

Don't get me wrong, I have a daily driver and this will only be used on nice days. However, it's the goal I set for the car when I decided I was getting out of the world of 95% track builds. Low 5's in the 1/8 are a blast, but constantly fixing stuff is not. :p

·
Chronically Undefined
46 Posts
Did you happen to buy that at Shottenkirk in Waukee Iowa?

·
Chronically Undefined
46 Posts
I did, almost scared to answer. Haha.
Ha! Nothing bad, I just wondered because I almost bought it! I went and drove that car, talked to them about it, and then the salesman called me the next day and let me know that it had sold. It wasn't even through detailing or anything when I went and looked - I think they had just gotten it in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some of the parts arrived today. Still waiting on the American Racing headers and pipes. I ordered a few more parts as well, but they won't be here for a week or so.

Here is what was waiting at my friend's shop.

I got the boxes opened up.

ZL1 Torque Converter

I have seen them several times, but the BTR Springs and Smith Parts are gorgeous.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha! Nothing bad, I just wondered because I almost bought it! I went and drove that car, talked to them about it, and then the salesman called me the next day and let me know that it had sold. It wasn't even through detailing or anything when I went and looked - I think they had just gotten it in.

I was told someone was driving it when I showed up. I think I drove it right after you. I bought it pretty much right away. It was exactly what I was looking for and I knew the former owner had taken care of it. So do you currently own a G8 as well or shopping for a new one, etc?

·
Chronically Undefined
46 Posts
I was told someone was driving it when I showed up. I think I drove it right after you. I bought it pretty much right away. It was exactly what I was looking for and I knew the former owner had taken care of it. So do you currently own a G8 as well or shopping for a new one, etc?
I ended up buying one from a dealer in Des Moines a couple days later. Black '09 GT, 79k miles. Pretty much the same car, similar price too.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
16 Participants
Funkster
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing