Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Thanks for keeping us updated! Where did you get the Holden Gauge panel? I checked JHP with negative results.
I actually picked this one up off of a gentleman in Australia who posted in a Facebook group. I believe he has a few more available. Shoot me a PM if you’d like his info. I’m unsure if I can post it here without getting in trouble.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I got the interior parts all cleaned up. The vinyl came off without issue. Unfortunately I forgot to grab pictures, so I'll have to do that later. In the mean time I got a few quick moments to work in the garage yesterday so I got just a couple things done. As the engine comes apart more and more I can't believe how clean it is. Granted I am used to 150,000 mile engines, but at 70,000+ I am surprised to see how clean off oil staining, carbon, etc. everything is. Anyway, on to the new stuff.

I got the balancer pulled off and quite frankly it looks like ****. I have been debating going ahead with the CTS-V accessories and parts to save some work in the future with the blower. I also have been looking at the ATI and Innovator's West balancer setups.

Above I talked about how clean the engine is. This is kind of what I mean. I pulled the front cover off and immediately took this picture of the inside.

Engine with cover off. I will have to drop the oil pan on my next free night and get the rest of the parts off.

Oh ya...and these showed up. :smile2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got the interior parts all cleaned up. The vinyl came off without issue. Unfortunately I forgot to grab pictures, so I'll have to do that later. In the mean time I got a few quick moments to work in the garage yesterday so I got just a couple things done. As the engine comes apart more and more I can't believe how clean it is. Granted I am used to 150,000 mile engines, but at 70,000+ I am surprised to see how clean off oil staining, carbon, etc. everything is. Anyway, on to the new stuff.

I got the balancer pulled off and quite frankly it looks like ****. I have been debating going ahead with the CTS-V accessories and parts to save some work in the future with the blower. I also have been looking at the ATI and Innovator's West balancer setups.

Above I talked about how clean the engine is. This is kind of what I mean. I pulled the front cover off and immediately took this picture of the inside.

Engine with cover off. I will have to drop the oil pan on my next free night and get the rest of the parts off.

Oh ya...and these showed up. :smile2:
Seems like you probably know a lot more than I do, but I got this crank pulley after I broke mine trying to get it off with a 3 jaw puller.

https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-1466-powerbond-oem-race-balancer-pulley-97-13-c5c6-corvette-08-09-g8-gt-09-gxp-chevy-ss-pb1117ss.aspx

It has worked so far through the dyno tune and around 500 miles of somewhat spirited driving. The link is the cheapest I found it. Most other stores have it for around $230 - $250.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Seems like you probably know a lot more than I do, but I got this crank pulley after I broke mine trying to get it off with a 3 jaw puller.

https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-1466-powerbond-oem-race-balancer-pulley-97-13-c5c6-corvette-08-09-g8-gt-09-gxp-chevy-ss-pb1117ss.aspx

It has worked so far through the dyno tune and around 500 miles of somewhat spirited driving. The link is the cheapest I found it. Most other stores have it for around $230 - $250.
Well firstly, I sure have plenty to learn still and this is certainly a new vehicle platform for me so I appreciate the compliment.

I also appreciate the suggestion on the balancer. I will do some research on if they have a CTS-V one so I can have the supercharger belt as well.

That’s one of my biggest debates on this process currently. I could just buy a CTS-V balancer, but they seem to be kind of badly made too. Plus an ATI, Innocator’s, etc. would allow me to swap the supercharger ring in the future if I wanted to make boost adjustments. It’s a back and forth I’ve been having a lot with myself. I could always button it back up with the OEM stuff and swap it all out with the supercharger later as well, but generally speaking it will be more efficient and likely cheaper to just do it now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Have been on hiatus a few days and the plan is (rather, was) to get some work done and hopefully get the cam swap buttoned up this weekend. However, this hobby is not forgiving to our plans.

I went ahead and finished stripping down the front of the engine.

I pulled the cam and all looked well with the removed components.

Unfortunately...I forgot to turn the lights off so I was able to see the cam bearings, haha. The wear on the first bearing didn't bother me much, it was the second bearing that was cause for concern.

So...these are going to need to be replaced. This means my plan for the weekend has changed. I will now be pulling the shortblock out and tearing it down for the machine shop. We will see how everything looks on tear down. This may end up being a complete refresh, if anything looks crazy I will weigh my options. There is already temptation to forge the bottom end, but at my goals it really isn't needed.

In the mean time, I did get my rocker arms disassembled. This press made the process pretty easy.

All the internals from the arms.

Empty rocker arms.

Will get started on removing the rest of the engine today. On the upside it will make reassembly on the stand a lot easier than in the car. Also will give me a chance to wipe down the engine bay.

·
Chronically Undefined
46 Posts
I'm enjoying following the progress of this car, since I drove it right before you bought it. :) Even though I'm in a different place on my own G8 journey - staying mainly stock and daily driving for now - it's fun to stay updated on the others in the area.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm enjoying following the progress of this car, since I drove it right before you bought it. :) Even though I'm in a different place on my own G8 journey - staying mainly stock and daily driving for now - it's fun to stay updated on the others in the area.

I appreciate the support!

Are you changing the timing chain? I used this https://www.amazon.com/Katech-TIMING-CHAIN-STANDARD-HEIGHT/dp/B07BL6DZD4

It is $30 more expensive than when I bought it over the summer. You can probably find it somewhere cheaper.

I am running an adjustable timing set and it came with the ISIS chain. Thank you for the link though!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I love it, but since you're doing all this work.. instead of doing the torque converter why not do a T6060 swap? =]

No desire to own a manual car at this point. The automatic suits my drag strip oriented side better and I like it for daily duty as well. I'll leave the gear rowing to the real car guys and girls. ;)

·
Chronically Undefined
46 Posts
Also, those wheels are gonna look great on a white car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well today I got everything torn out. Short block is currently loaded up and will be going to the machine shop tomorrow to weigh some options and make a decision on what to do.

Engine all hooked up and ready to pull.

Engine on the stand.

Stripped down to the block and rotating assembly.

Loaded into the trusty Honda, haha.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
After talking to the machine shop today I will be doing a full refresh. The list includes:

Block cleaned, honed, surfaced, clean up hone and finish clean.
Crank will be refinished as needed.
Durabond Teflon Coated Cam Bearings
King Main and Rod Bearings
Hastings rings which will be gapped for boost.

It will probably be 2-3 weeks before I get it back. In the mean time I am going to go ahead and install a few front end related components (Rack bushings, sway bar) and if my trans cooler parts ever show up I will get that hooked up.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Excellent work.
Wish I could do stuff like this but my garage is a phone booth, my kids have lost most of my tools and I have no appreciable mechanical skills.
….sigh....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Excellent work.
Wish I could do stuff like this but my garage is a phone booth, my kids have lost most of my tools and I have no appreciable mechanical skills.
….sigh....

Thanks for the compliment. Everyone starts somewhere. There is still a ton I don't know. I am starting to try to learn tuning specifics and the finer details on camshaft geometry at this point. However I have a couple other time consuming hobbies so I haven't been as involved with that process over the last couple years.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah I'm liking this project. The only thing that I'm bummed about is the auto tranny =P

Then again.. this coming from the guy who will be spending the next few days drilling out a rusty stud... so yeah.

@BAS G8

you gotta instill fear in your children when they take your tools. My dad used to get really pissed when I messed with his tools (woken up early AM saturday to yelling/interrogation about missing sockets) and fast forward a decade I've got my own garage and my own collection of toys. =]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yeah I'm liking this project. The only thing that I'm bummed about is the auto tranny =P

Then again.. this coming from the guy who will be spending the next few days drilling out a rusty stud... so yeah.

@BAS G8

you gotta instill fear in your children when they take your tools. My dad used to get really pissed when I messed with his tools (woken up early AM saturday to yelling/interrogation about missing sockets) and fast forward a decade I've got my own garage and my own collection of toys. =]

The beneficial difference an auto has in drag racing is insane and sadly is my first priority after street fun/comfort.

·
Registered
225 Posts
yes I know... I just fantasize about one of these cars with a manual. The brake torque with high rev launch essential for serious drag, but I just love the handling on these things.

I'm not giving advice I just see a guy who has the skill level necessary to do the swap and wanted to be the devil in your left ear.>:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
yes I know... I just fantasize about one of these cars with a manual. The brake torque with high rev launch essential for serious drag, but I just love the handling on these things.

I'm not giving advice I just see a guy who has the skill level necessary to do the swap and wanted to be the devil in your left ear.>:)

Haha, I understand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That’s one of my biggest debates on this process currently. I could just buy a CTS-V balancer, but they seem to be kind of badly made too. Plus an ATI, Innocator’s, etc. would allow me to swap the supercharger ring in the future if I wanted to make boost adjustments. It’s a back and forth I’ve been having a lot with myself. I could always button it back up with the OEM stuff and swap it all out with the supercharger later as well, but generally speaking it will be more efficient and likely cheaper to just do it now.
Go with ATI or Innovators West with a 10 percent overdrive or so. Will provide more belt wrap for the supercharger.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts