Pontiac G8 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Go with ATI or Innovators West with a 10 percent overdrive or so. Will provide more belt wrap for the supercharger.

I actually have already purchased one and taken delivery. Just haven't had a chance to make a full update. Hopefully will get one written up later today.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
A few things over the past days. Nothing major as I am waiting for parts and the engine to come back from the machine shop.

I received the following:
ATI Balancer
Crank Pinning Kit
Oil Pan Gasket
Rear Cover Gasket
Rear Main Seal
BMR Steering Rack Bushings
LS3 Waterpump

Got a couple odds and ends completed as well.

I sat down with my heads back from the machine shop to get them assembled. They ended up cleaning up really well and I had the outside surfaces glass beaded as well as had the heads surfaced.

Got them all put back together with BTR Dual Springs, lapped in valves, new seals, etc.

I mentioned the other day that the trim and pieces for the HSV gauge pod and cubby came in. I finally got them all cleaned up and am vinyl wrapping them black as the silver does not match the 2009 interior. I ordered the Black 2008 Seat/Traction Controls and Radio/HVAC faceplate. I got a few pieces done, but I am not sure how well it will match with the 2008 pieces until I get them on Tuesday. If they don't match up well I am planning to paint them.

Trim pieces:

Cubby wrapped. I like the look of the silver button, but I may end up doing it in black too.

Next I wrapped up the shifter trim. A word of warning...if you are a perfectionist, this job is a bitch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Did you use a guide to wrap? Or just wing it?

I've been doing small stuff like this for about 10 years. When I started I just watched a few videos and started at it. Lots of trial and error. It's pretty easy to work with if you have patience and a decent heat gun. Matte colors can be rougher to work with just because as you stretch them they get glossy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
It's been a bit since the last update and I have plenty of news. Unfortunately not all of it is good. :(

I learned some medical news that is going to cause an increase in my monthly expenses for a while and because of this I will be slowing down on the build for the short term. However, this is not to say it won't still progress, it just will have to change direction for the time being.

Firstly and probably the most notable is that for now the car will have to stay naturally aspirated. With that though, the PDS cam is not good to drive off boost and the ZL1 is not the best N/A Converter as well. Due to this I have switched both of those after a talk with Adam at Ace and I will be going with the RCR Drag Sportsman and a Circle D custom converter. I have worked with Chris at Circle D several times in the past and am looking forward to running his products again.

I also have received an update from the machine shop and while not terribly surprising they have pushed completion date back. However, that isn't a huge deal at this point as I am waiting on the new cam to arrive anyway.

Now for the potential good news. :)

Since I will not be using them if anyone is interested I have the following brand new in box that I am willing to sell at less than they would have cost new:
ZL1 Torque Converter
BTR PDS Stage 3 Cam
LSA Waterpump
ATI Crank Pinning Kit

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I got a call from the machine shop today. They got the engine all torn down and started on the actual machine work. They said everything checked out on disassembly, but not surprisingly the deck is a little off in the middle. (Common for LS engines) I'm glad I went ahead with what I did. They should have all the work done by the end of the week and then the only thing holding up reassembly will be waiting for the cam and converter to arrive.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Best of fate resolving the recent medical diagnosis as health and well-being should always take precedence over any materialistic goal. Have enjoyed perusing this thread thus far and be sure to keep us updated on your progress. -PONY MAN

·
Registered
250 Posts
wow love this thread. I'm thinking I'm in need of a refresh like this too. Been on my current cam for about 40k miles and it's starting to make me nervous lol. A buddy of mine who is a local G8 guru helped me do the cam the first time and i assembled the heads but now that i have a big garage I was thinking of tackling the top end refresh myself. You make it look easy and seeing your pictures shows really how little has to come off the car to get heads and cam out. Hope your health issues clear up without a hitch so we can keep getting these great updates.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Best of fate resolving the recent medical diagnosis as health and well-being should always take precedence over any materialistic goal. Have enjoyed perusing this thread thus far and be sure to keep us updated on your progress. -PONY MAN
wow love this thread. I'm thinking I'm in need of a refresh like this too. Been on my current cam for about 40k miles and it's starting to make me nervous lol. A buddy of mine who is a local G8 guru helped me do the cam the first time and i assembled the heads but now that i have a big garage I was thinking of tackling the top end refresh myself. You make it look easy and seeing your pictures shows really how little has to come off the car to get heads and cam out. Hope your health issues clear up without a hitch so we can keep getting these great updates.

Thank you both for the well wishes and compliments. I apologize that the build has had to change direction and hope it isn't too disappointing. However, still lots to come.

Should still be a fun car this year and we will see how it continues to develop. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Small update:
Cam was delivered and I dropped it by the machine shop to be fit to the bearings. I was told the engine should be ready for pick up by the end of the week. I have my son this weekend, so time will be limited to work on the engine. Hoping to get it home and at least get the cam degree'd in along with some basic reassembly. I am hoping to get the converter before the end of the week as well, but not a huge deal if not.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
A decent update for once. I will start with the small thing which is that I got my converter in, nice looking piece and Chris threw a pen and shirt in. Bonus. :)

Oh, and also I picked my engine up and started piecing it together. I got the cam degree'd in and am unfortunately waiting on some alignment tools to make much more progress. The cam degree'd in amazingly and everything looks good.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
A decent update for once. I will start with the small thing which is that I got my converter in, nice looking piece and Chris threw a pen and shirt in. Bonus. :)

Oh, and also I picked my engine up and started piecing it together. I got the cam degree'd in and am unfortunately waiting on some alignment tools to make much more progress. The cam degree'd in amazingly and everything looks good.

Love my RCR Spec'd Circle D! I have a 245, 4500 triple. Which one did you go with?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Love my RCR Spec'd Circle D! I have a 245, 4500 triple. Which one did you go with?

I need to re-verify, but if I recall correctly it is a Triple Disc 258mm in the 3,800 range.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
I need to re-verify, but if I recall correctly it is a Triple Disc 258mm in the 3,800 range.
Great choice, good street manners. I apologize I didn't go through the complete thread... What rear gear are you running? Stock? 3.27? 3.45?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Great choice, good street manners. I apologize I didn't go through the complete thread... What rear gear are you running? Stock? 3.27? 3.45?

No apologies neccessary. It is currently stock, hoping to have the budget to swap to a 3.27 or 3.45 here within the next month or so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I need to check into a converter myself. Read some threads on here about the Camaro converter for ZL1. I won't be racing so I don't need a high stall. As far a I can tell they are 1800 rpm. If your looking for a 3.45 diff I have 1 in a auction right now for $300 plus shipping. If interested I could pull some strings for forum fam.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
16 Participants
Funkster
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing