Pontiac G8 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I need to check into a converter myself. Read some threads on here about the Camaro converter for ZL1. I won't be racing so I don't need a high stall. As far a I can tell they are 1800 rpm. If your looking for a 3.45 diff I have 1 in a auction right now for $300 plus shipping. If interested I could pull some strings for forum fam.

The ZL1 is a good upgrade for a blower car for sure. It would also be a little upgrade for an N/A car. I would give a reputable shop a call and discuss your goals with them. I actually sold the original one I bought for this one, otherwise I would offer to sell it to you. :(

I would be interested in more information for sure. Miles, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I just got a bid on it. So it would be kind of crappy of me to end auction now. Sorry. I'm excited about your build. I would love to have ability and not to mention my better halves blessings on a build like yours. Keep us updated if you would please.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Got my parts in hand and despite a few busy days I have at least got a little done.

First I got my covers cleaned up and tapped the old seals out,

Installed my new seals in both covers.

Since I am hoping to not have it off again anytime soon, I cleaned up my oil pan and baffle.

Melling oil pump installed.

Using the Kent-Moore tools I aligned the front and rear covers.

All covers and oil pan installed.

I cleaned all the bolt holes up and the engine is ready for the studs and heads when I get a chance. I also finally got my transmission cooler and the adapters and AN stuff for them. Hoping to have the engine pieced back together and at least back in the car by the end of next weekend.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
A little more progress was made today, although it was slowed by running to grab a few things.

Got my Johnson lifters installed in the new trays and torqued down.

I wiped down the block surfaces with solvent and then realized I could find my dowel pins. Luckily they local dealer had some in stock so I ran to grab them and tapped them in place along with the LS9 Gaskets.

I dropped the heads on and put the studs in hand tight.

In proper sequenced stages of 25, 50 and then 70 ft-lb I torqued down the nuts on the big studs. I torqued the small studs and nuts to 28 ft-lb.

Next up was drilling the crank and installing the ATI Pin. Using the guides I drilled an 11/64" hole through the crank and then reamed the proper depth using a 3/16" reamer.

I tapped the pin in place so it was sticking up the recommended .093" (Roughly 3/32")

Using the damper tool I installed the ATI Super Damper. Before I installed the balancer I put on the A/C ring and torqued the bolts to 16 ft-lb with Loctite.

Hopefully tomorrow the rest goes together pretty quickly and I can start getting to work on the reassembly of the car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A little more progress was made today, although it was slowed by running to grab a few things.

Got my Johnson lifters installed in the new trays and torqued down.

I wiped down the block surfaces with solvent and then realized I could find my dowel pins. Luckily they local dealer had some in stock so I ran to grab them and tapped them in place along with the LS9 Gaskets.

I dropped the heads on and put the studs in hand tight.

In proper sequenced stages of 25, 50 and then 70 ft-lb I torqued down the nuts on the big studs. I torqued the small studs and nuts to 28 ft-lb.

Next up was drilling the crank and installing the ATI Pin. Using the guides I drilled an 11/64" hole through the crank and then reamed the proper depth using a 3/16" reamer.

I tapped the pin in place so it was sticking up the recommended .093" (Roughly 3/32")

Using the damper tool I installed the ATI Super Damper. Before I installed the balancer I put on the A/C ring and torqued the bolts to 16 ft-lb with Loctite.

Hopefully tomorrow the rest goes together pretty quickly and I can start getting to work on the reassembly of the car.
Iowa weather is coming around. Hopefully you'll be done in time to let her rip!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Well I have been terrible about updating this thread. Going to get you guys and girls caught up with some quick high points and then get to the stuff that matters.

With the engine removed I had ample room to swap out to the new converter.

Along the same lines I went ahead and got the Derale trans cooler mounted up and wired. I mounted it in the front grille area. I wired it with a relay off of a switched ignition source to a 180* turn on for the fans. I used a braided sleeve with heat shrink ends to keep a high quality appearance.

I also took this opportunity to upgrade the transmission pan and filter to the Camaro setup. I got the old pan removed, fluid still looked pretty good.

Welded a bung into the new pan for the trans temp sensor. As well as built an extended harness for the sensor.

New pan all ready to go on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Next up I mounted the gauges in the HSV Pod. However, with the thickness of the X-Series gauge bezel the didn't sit flush before hitting the hood on the pod. To solve this problem I made some spacer rings for each gauge out of 3/16" ABS.

All the gauges mounted up.

I disassembled the center console to put in the new pod and center console parts.

I didn't expect the removal of so few pieces to result in such big voids.

New gauges mounted up with all sensors except the o2 sensor. The gauges were wired into a relay on the headlight circuit. This will allow them to be powered on during remote start as well which will properly heat the o2 sensor and avoid premature failure of it.

Also while I don't have much for pictures the engine went back in the car without issue.

Once the video uploads I will get the next post up which shows startup. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
It's a short video, but I will get a new idle one up soon. Been super buys since this happened about a week ago and the weather here has been kind of spotty as well.

I recommend watching it in HD as the sound is much more accurate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds good! I'm running the same cam, you're going to like it. Looking forward to the build progress.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
In case anyone is in the market this car is long complete and has a few hundred street miles. I am listing it for sale so feel free to inquire if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Any particular reason for the sale? Didn't see it mentioned in prior posts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Any particular reason for the sale? Didn't see it mentioned in prior posts.
The car is amazing and has been deadly reliable. I just don't find myself driving it as much as I originally planned and I am starting the process of restarting an older business of mine. I'd rather use money from a toy that isn't neccessary for the venture than dig into savings.

·
F1rehawk
715 Posts
Such a great build. Sad to hear you are parting ways with it.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Understood. Recommend starting a thread in the cars for sale section of the forum. Both of fortune in both undertakings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I appreciate the compliments. I love the car, but I know it is the responsible choice at this time sadly. I plan to get a few updated pictures any start up a thread in the next day or two.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Well the car hasn't sold so I am now putting it back to stock. Feel free to message me about any parts on the car you are interested in.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Unaware of time constraints, but in lieu of returning the car to stock would periodically bump the for sale thread and let it remain posted a little while longer. The G8 board doesn't have nearly as much user traffic as before and it may take just a tad bit longer for the right buyer to come along. If such is not feasible/plausible, then disregard the notion.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts