Pontiac G8 Forum banner

G8 3.6 not running

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  PONY MAN 
#1 ·
My 08 g8 3.6 shut off on the highway, and won’t run. I checked all fuel pump fuses and relays. They all checked out good. I can spray starting fluid and it will run til I stop spraying. Any idea on what my problem may be? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Since the car only runs while spraying starter fluid, then it's not getting sufficient fuel. Current mileage? Fuse F12 in the rear compartment (trunk) as well as relay R12 in the instrument panel compartment power the fuel pump. Do you have a circuit tester? If not, try swapping the R12 relay with another and see if anything changes. When the ignition is turn to on (not run) without attempting to start the vehicle, can you hear the fuel pump "prime" the injectors? It should run for a few seconds before shutting off.

#4 ·
If you can get an ear near, or a device that would help transmit sound to your ear, you should/would hear that pump run for 2 seconds at ignition turn on. That's the way the system works "if" engine cranking does not happen. Once the engine detects rotation, the fuel pump would be commanded to run all the time until engine shutdown takes place. If "no" pump running sound is detected, an your sure the pump relay an pump power fuse is not the problem, the hard work starts. Gaining access to the pump electrical connector gets very labor intensive (unless the car has been modified with the installation of the fuel tank pump/sensor access plate under the rear seat cushion.

#8 ·
Checking fuel pressure would be easier versus power at the pump. If the fuel pump is found to be inoperative, might be worthwhile to install an access cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.