Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pretend that your battery goes dead. How would you get the trunk open to replace the battery? Note: there is no keyhole in the trunklid.

:driving::driving::driving:

Edit - someone smarter than me figured out that you could use the key to open the driver's door, pop the hood, use a battery charger to apply voltage to the engine compartment, and then you can pop the trunk. )

·
Registered
910 Posts
The door locks aren't mechanical? You sure?

Most cars with a similiar setup to this, have "jump points". Dunno though. Hadn't considered it.

·
Cantankerous Old Fart
848 Posts
1. Crawl into the trunk from the back seat and unlatch it.

2. I'm pretty sure those keyholes in the door are mechanical. I'll try it when I unlock my car on the way home today.

There are jump points inside the engine compartment on the driver's side.

·
Registered
933 Posts
1. Crawl into the trunk from the back seat and unlatch it.

2. I'm pretty sure those keyholes in the door are mechanical. I'll try it when I unlock my car on the way home today.

There are jump points inside the engine compartment on the driver's side.
1) Keyholes are electric.
2) Jump points under hood require hood release from inside car.

Two options that come to mind right now. Unfortunately, both involve breaking glass, and/or high explosives. :p

·
Alexander Haig
1,858 Posts
Yes, keys will unlock doors the old fashioned way. Fold down rear armrest, find a small enough person to crawl through opening into trunk and look for glow in the dark release. Or be blessed with really long arms.

If you lock keys in car and battery is dead, pray for a brick to fall from the sky through a side window.

·
Registered
933 Posts
1. Pretend that your battery goes dead. How would you get the trunk open to replace the battery? Note: there is no keyhole in the trunklid.

2. With a dead battery, how do you get into the car itself? Note: there are keyholes in the doors, but they are not mechanical.

:driving::driving::driving:
Outstanding quiz, BTW! I am sure that we will soon have a new sponsor selling a nice new exterior color matched brick holder that mounts under the drivers door.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes, keys will unlock doors the old fashioned way. Fold down rear armrest, find a small enough person to crawl through opening into trunk and look for glow in the dark release. Or be blessed with really long arms.

If you lock keys in car and battery is dead, pray for a brick to fall from the sky through a side window.
That pass-thru is big enough for Fatty Arbuckle! :p

·
Flying at low altitude
911 Posts
The manual trunk release is by the pass through, you can clearly see it when you open the pass through, it is on the passenger side, you pull that to open the trunk when the battery is dead.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the trunk release lever is "attatched" to the rear seats. open the pass thru and it should be on your left. not hard to find it should be right there.

or just pop the hood an use the jump ports to start the car.on the drivers side of the engine compartment the one in red is positive and less than a foot infront of that close to the fender is the ground. i used those to jump a buddys car and it worked fine.

·
Cantankerous Old Fart
848 Posts
I just checked the key in the door lock.

The door lock is mechanical. (Where do some of you get these ideas?)

When you unlock the door mechanically with the key, the alarm goes off (horn starts honking every 1/2 sec or so) until you press the unlock button on the key fob. 'Course, if the battery is dead that won't matter.

So the answer to the quiz is:
--Unlock the door
--Pop the hood to expose the jump points
--Crawl in the trunk through the pass-through to unlatch it.

·
Dazed - Confused
497 Posts
So...once I get into the car with the key, can I open the glove box to read the owners manual????

What size flashlight and battery charger do I need to send into the trunk with my wife???

Does AAA covet this?????

RRM

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
The manual trunk release is by the pass through, you can clearly see it when you open the pass through, it is on the passenger side, you pull that to open the trunk when the battery is dead.
the trunk release lever is "attatched" to the rear seats. open the pass thru and it should be on your left. not hard to find it should be right there.

or just pop the hood an use the jump ports to start the car.on the drivers side of the engine compartment the one in red is positive and less than a foot infront of that close to the fender is the ground. i used those to jump a buddys car and it worked fine.
I can't believe it took 9 posts before someone got it right! First time I opened the trunk on a G8, I saw the manual release handle, just inside the pass through!

mac

·
Registered
148 Posts
1. Pretend that your battery goes dead. How would you get the trunk open to replace the battery? Note: there is no keyhole in the trunklid.

2. With a dead battery, how do you get into the car itself? Note: there are keyholes in the doors, but they are not mechanical.
Hello, Roadside Assistance? I've spent >$30K for this car and the battery is dead already. You better get out here and fix it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow you make a good point, lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow you make a good point, lol
Well, I was referring to the possible use of OnStar sending a signal to unlock your doors, however roadside assistance is still available by calling the OnStar hotline and giving your pin number to the rep.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
About this Discussion
76 Replies
40 Participants
Turbo301
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing