Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
They will be printed by Helms when they are out. I have put in for an email notification when they are available for sale, but have not heard anything yet. Also, if I understand correctly, the manual for the tranny may be separate.

Here is the link for the manual:
linky

·
band
568 Posts
When I was looking for wiring diagrams at the dealer he told me I could order a complete factory service manual. IRC it was ~$200.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Anyone able to get their hands on one of these? I signed up for the email notification but still have not heard anything from Helms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I dont mean to bring up an old thread, but has anybody found the service manual yet? I'd like to try to do some of the minor services myself.......

Seems odd that they dont have this available for a two year old car....

·
I Void Warranties
1,438 Posts
I dont mean to bring up an old thread, but has anybody found the service manual yet? I'd like to try to do some of the minor services myself.......

Seems odd that they dont have this available for a two year old car....
I've been emailing GM Parts house for about three months checking on the status. They are still on back order with no expect release date.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
The 2008 manual is available from Helm. The 2009 is BACKORDERED and Helm told me they do not have an ETA. Best guess, several months.

They do come in paper. I can print any page of the 2009 manual direct from my GM site, but to print out a whole manual is a nightmare because it operates on links, like a web page, so to hit all the pages requires an inordinate amount of time clicking back and forth....

FWIW, the 2008 manual is fine, has the same info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It says the 2008 manual is backordered on the Helm website. Am I missing something?

The 2008 manual is available from Helm. The 2009 is BACKORDERED and Helm told me they do not have an ETA. Best guess, several months.

They do come in paper. I can print any page of the 2009 manual direct from my GM site, but to print out a whole manual is a nightmare because it operates on links, like a web page, so to hit all the pages requires an inordinate amount of time clicking back and forth....

FWIW, the 2008 manual is fine, has the same info.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd hope that it would be better than the factory manual I have for my 98 Z28. I realize that some level of mechanical competence and knowledge is assumed when they write the manuals but I found that they assumed a great deal with things like interior trim and such. Don

·
band
568 Posts
If it is the actual factory service manual then, yeah, they assume there is some prior technical knowledge. Those are intended for the dealer service techs, repair shops, etc. If "Car Repair for Dummies" is more your speed then Helms or Chiltons is a better choice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If it is the actual factory service manual then, yeah, they assume there is some prior technical knowledge. Those are intended for the dealer service techs, repair shops, etc. If "Car Repair for Dummies" is more your speed then Helms or Chiltons is a better choice.
Thanks for the cheap shot in the last line. I'm not a pro but I do OK. Don

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not ashamed to say I need the Dummies version!

It's not that I want to save money, it's that I dont trust some of these mechanics. Most could never fill the oil right in my Honda Civic - it was either too full or too empty. Cant imagine what they would do with the G8.

If no service manual is available, then I guess the obvious question is how do the service techs know how to do a mildly complicated service?

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
68Rustang YOU ROCK! that link will keep me content until they release the 2009 manual at Helm Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
68Rustang, thanks for the link.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
25 Participants
Sever Maximus
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing