Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. My shifter is all of a sudden very hard to take out of park and when you think it's in park it's not and your can start the car. What exactly is the part number and cost for this. I think my wife parks on a hill and yanking on it has sprung something.

Retired_4life:slap:

·
Registered
9 Posts
may be a simple fix.

The g8 uses a rod style shifter that it is held in place with a 13mm bolt that simply squeezes the rod to hold it in plac it is possible that she could have pulled hard enough to cause the rod to slip out of the correct position. Very easy fix, if that is the problem. Simply get under the car and locate the shifter and shift rod on the drivers side of the transmission and locate the 13mm bolt. Loosen the bolt and reposition the rod in the slide to where park is positively engaged and then tighten the bolt again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The g8 uses a rod style shifter that it is held in place with a 13mm bolt that simply squeezes the rod to hold it in plac it is possible that she could have pulled hard enough to cause the rod to slip out of the correct position. Very easy fix, if that is the problem. Simply get under the car and locate the shifter and shift rod on the drivers side of the transmission and locate the 13mm bolt. Loosen the bolt and reposition the rod in the slide to where park is positively engaged and then tighten the bolt again.
This is most likely your issue, I had the same problem with mine

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it stopped, at 3am in the morning coming home from work. To get the thing to release the key, I broke a piece. SMH it was dark, anyway, I found out from zepcom that it's probly the linkage clip that broke because of the similar actions. Have a question now, does anybody have an automatic shifter assembly kit to sale before I go to the dealer? I saw one earlier on a post but it is sold already.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.