Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to three shops in the Washington DC area to get a quote to upgrade my camshaft and none will provide a quote. Each is 2-3 months out before they could even start the work, if they did provide the quote. Either there are not many shops around or everyone has money to spend...

So, I have decided I am doing this myself. Is there a DIY guide out there or a mechanics web site I could subscribe to in order to provide some general directions in case I need them? I understand the basics of what needs to be done, just don't know the nuances.

I have seen the various camshaft discussions here on the forum so, I can probably pick out what to buy from those threads. I have never taken an engine apart if you will but have replaced everything over the years, water pumps, fuel pumps, starters, alternators, brakes, etc..

Figured what could happen? I get it done or it gets hauled off to have the engine replaced sometime in the future.

Any general direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I have been to three shops in the Washington DC area to get a quote to upgrade my camshaft and none will provide a quote. Each is 2-3 months out before they could even start the work, if they did provide the quote. Either there are not many shops around or everyone has money to spend...

So, I have decided I am doing this myself. Is there a DIY guide out there or a mechanics web site I could subscribe to in order to provide some general directions in case I need them? I understand the basics of what needs to be done, just don't know the nuances.

I have seen the various camshaft discussions here on the forum so, I can probably pick out what to buy from those threads. I have never taken an engine apart if you will but have replaced everything over the years, water pumps, fuel pumps, starters, alternators, brakes, etc..

Figured what could happen? I get it done or it gets hauled off to have the engine replaced sometime in the future.

Any general direction would be appreciated.
Talk to Pat G or Rick C about speccing a cam for your setup. They will point you in the right direction for your wants in getting the deed done.

I think there may be a walk through here on the forum that is G8 specific for changing out the cam? You'll have to search it out.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
If you do a search, Bobthemonkee did a Great diy back in July 2009.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'll never understand how a place can't even provide a quote. That's a separate discussion but that is a GREAT thread linked by GT Drew, and what a surprise that the photobucket links arent broken!

-J

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks..

·
Registered
425 Posts
While it's not a 1:1 apples to apples comparison, LS1howto has some nice pictures of disassembly of an LS1. Could always be a nice supplement. Used that when I swapped the cam with no prior experience on my f-body. Good luck with the project (y)

-J

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Here is another reference. It's on a 5th gen camaro, very similar to G8 and well, an LS is an LS regardless of chassis.

1. Know what your power goal is.
  2. Speak with PatG, Rick C or Matt Gower ([email protected] ) for cam recommendation.
  3. Pick up HPTuners - will allow remote tune, you will need to for engine and trans calibration. Make sure to vet who does the tuning- that they have considerable LS and 6l80 experience.
  4. New lifter trays and Johnson 2110 lifters
  5. Open wallet, it's not cheap to do it right.

Reactions: Ramblerman

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you do a search, Bobthemonkee did a Great diy back in July 2009.
Bobthemonkey's G8GT came with the updated VLOM too!

JAM

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
356 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined and you don't run into any major issues, it's a relatively straightforward job. If you don't plan on upgrading the torque converter, you don't have to remove the engine or trans. For a basic cam job, I would assume a shop would charge about 10-15 hours.

I did it myself without ever working on these engines anything more than an oil change or spark plugs. Ended up doing a full rebuild when I pulled the cam and found a worn cam bearing. This engine is super easy to work on, though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
👆What he said. I paid around $6k for my build full exhaust, tune and all, of course I upgraded a few things that wasn't 100% necessary. Make sure to label all your bolts in cups or bags and take teardown photos as you go. That was a huge help for me. The toughest part for me and it wasn't even that bad was raising the engine and lowering the oil pan to get the oil pump pickup tube off. Oh, the stupid Hex style cam plate retainer nuts stripping sucked too. It is a blast to work on it, especially if you take your time and aren't rushed. You will appreciate it more with your own blood, sweat and tears going into it, IMHO.

Reactions: erickliban

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
356 Posts
👆What he said. I paid around $6k for my build full exhaust, tune and all, of course I upgraded a few things that wasn't 100% necessary. Make sure to label all your bolts in cups or bags and take teardown photos as you go. That was a huge help for me. The toughest part for me and it wasn't even that bad was raising the engine and lowering the oil pan to get the oil pump pickup tube off. Oh, the stupid Hex style cam plate retainer nuts stripping sucked too. It is a blast to work on it, especially if you take your time and aren't rushed. You will appreciate it more with your own blood, sweat and tears going into it, IMHO.
I didn't label my bolts. Spent atleast 2 (or more) hours of extra time just seeing what bolt goes where. I got it mostly right and only ended up with 2 extra bolts. 1 looks important, the other was probably replaced with a new one. Thats a win lol.

The job can be done with minimal tools apart from renting the occasional tool from your local parts store. Crank pulley puller, valve spring tool, 1/2" torque wrench to torque the heads, and crank bolt, 3/8" or smaller to torque everything else up to around 22 ft lbs.

I picked up my valve spring tool from Michigan Motorsports from Amazon. Super high quality and worked perfectly. They also have tons of LS specific parts and tools.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
freezer ziplock bags and sharpie.

Reactions: Ramblerman

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
356 Posts
I'm aware that's a great idea but I just can't make my self do it. I get going with that impact and bolts just start flying off. Habit from work where I know where every single bolt on the truck goes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I will say that since I went with new head and header bolts and the new valley cover came with bolts, there wasn't that many to keep up with.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I went through the bobthemonkey post and have a better idea of what is needed. DOD Delete kit? Anyone have a suggestion as to which one to use? I will reach out to PatG for a cam suggestion..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another question. If I decide to attempt this, should I go ahead and replace the heads since I have them off? Not trying to go crazy here. Looking at add 100-150 HP to stock when done. CAI is done. Headers soon with a Borla exhaust. Cam upgrade and a tune. Keep the L76 heads?

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
356 Posts
I got my kit from BTR. The heads, if you can afford the extra.... idk $1.5-2k for "nice" heads I would do it. Cam, intake, headers with a tune will give you close to 150 hp. If you don't have the cash to buy heads, consider having them ported.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, maybe replace the intake as well?

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
356 Posts
Stock intake is fine. Personally I'd rather get an LSA blower instead of spending hundreds for such little hp from an intake.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I reached out to GXPtuning as suggested above. He provided a suggestion for cam, DOD kit, oil pump and torque converter but said I would have to find a local tuner. Assuming I understood correctly..

1 - 20 of 575 Posts