566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
Thanks. I'll try today..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
A crazy question maybe.. The engine cover. Is that functional or more of a dust/protection cover? Mine is dinged up a bit. Trying to decide whether to try and paint it myself or just leave it off.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Sound reduction and keeping water off the coils are the main features. I found an engine paint that matches exactly. I’ll get a photo of the can today

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 ·
Sounds good..

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
Never was a fan of engine "appearance" covers. Rather see the engine than keep it concealed under a plastic cover. Given triple digit summer temperatures it doesn't allow heat to escape which places excess stress on various wiring, connectors, plastic lines, etc. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 ·
Thanks for the input. I honestly don't know which way I will go at this time..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
Dang it. I got a slow leak. It's running down the flywheel cover by the starter. I can't see where it is coming from. I am going to pull the heater hoses back and re-tighten them. I hope that is it. otherwise, I have a head problem, don't I?

All bolts were torque'd down. Hope the gasket didn't move.

Gas Bumper Composite material Metal Tints and shades

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Gasket is not likely to have moved with the dowels in the block to locate it.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
Ok. I am going to loosen the heater hoses and reconnect them.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #531 ·
I just found the air bleed for the coolant system rubber hose near the Throttle Body was loose. Tightened it up. Wiped down the frame rails where it was running. Let's see if that fixed the leak. Fingers crossed. The heater hoses are about 1/2 inch off the firewall. I am going to move those in closer, just in case.

I'll post in a little while to see if the leak has stopped.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #532 ·
I think I got it. I had about 1/2 cup leak out initially. I have about 6 drips now. I think it is residual from the leak. I wiped the frame down underneath but, there is still a couple drips. I'll see how it does over the next hour or two. Moved the heater hoses up against the firewall.

The air coolant bleed rubber hose looks a little worn. I'll go order another and replace it when it comes in.

Loaded the tune while I was waiting on the drips.

Still need to install the exhaust and the oil dip stick sleeve.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #534 ·
It looks like it was installed well. I have the heater hoses tight against the firewall. Looks like it was the coolant air bleed hose by the throttle body that was leaking..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·
Well, thanks for all the help everyone. It's running!!

I am still wrestling with fitting the oil dipstick tube properly but, it is in the oil pan for now, not bolted to the block yet.

If I could figure out how to add a video, I would give you a listen.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Found this quite an interesting topic! Glad you got it running!

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #539 ·
I know my car is not unique with respect to the oil tube. I got suggestions of running it down the block and/or bending it around the header. For the motor mount on the passenger side, towards the front of the car, there is a hole about an inch in diameter. If I push the tube through there is goes right into the oil pan. I spent a couple hours trying to get this inserted / bent properly to fit through the motor mount, into the oil pan and the top close to the block. Needless to say, I ordered a new tube as mine is now bent to the point that it is very difficult to get the dip stick through.

This first picture shows a couple inches of the oil tube. The left side of the black tube goes into the oil pan, the right goes up through the hole in the motor mount.

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part Electrical supply

Here are a couple pictures from above. I think I am going to grab a light piece of pipe strap and make myself a little bracket to hold the top of the oil tube against the block until the new tube comes in next week, then try again. What I really need is an "Elf" to deliver me one that works for Christmas!! haha

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 ·
For the leak towards the back of the engine, passenger side, I did tighten up the heater hoses and the air bleed coolant hose clamp. I did have a drip or two later in the day that I am assuming was residual. While running the engine for about ten minutes last night, I did take a look under and nothing was leaking. I'll do a more thorough check later this morning.

521 - 540 of 575 Posts