Pontiac G8 Forum banner
541 - 560 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
So, I got a tune done by Pat G, which I uploaded yesterday before I started the car. I installed the DOD kit from BTR as part of my modifications. For a stall converter, Pat G had suggested a 2800 stall converter, which I purchased from CircleD and had the local transmission shop install for me in mid September.

I had the scanner on when I started the car, it was idling around 800 or slightly less.

The novice that I am, no way I was going to try and tune anything other than my FM radio. ..smiles..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 ·
Just took the car for a test run to collect the scan data for Pat G. Ran awesome.

Thanks for all the help again folks!!!

Still need too;

• Fix the oil dip tube when the new one comes in next week.
  • Ordered a new air coolant hose for the one that is leaking as it is worn out.
  • Need to see if it is still leaking coolant from the rear of the passenger side of the engine once it cools down from my test run.

Next, paint and, new wheels and tires. Paint in Dec/Jan, wheels and tires some time in the spring 2022.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
The parts I removed, Valley Cover, Timing Chain cover, rockers, balancer, all the misc nuts and bolts as well as the exhaust. Any reason I should keep any of this? I don't plan on ever going back. I was going to take everything to the metal recycler, especially the CATs and see what I can get towards my wheel and tires. I already have the money set aside for the paint and various body changes for worn out parts. Spoiler, hood scoops, front bumper, roof runners and a new windshield.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The parts I removed, Valley Cover, Timing Chain cover, rockers, balancer, all the misc nuts and bolts as well as the exhaust. Any reason I should keep any of this? I don't plan on ever going back. I was going to take everything to the metal recycler, especially the CATs and see what I can get towards my wheel and tires. I already have the money set aside for the paint and various body changes for worn out parts. Spoiler, hood scoops, front bumper, roof runners and a new windshield.
The Cats are high dollar items, look up what they are bringing right now. I think i got $400 for a set a year ago and I assume they will be higher now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Other stock parts can be resold online if desired. The exhaust is a frequently requested item.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Congrats on getting it up and running! I remember the excitement of the first start after my engine rebuild and how entertaining it was to drive the car and enjoy the newfound power.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
We meant the afm delete with the hp tuner didnt read about the stall converter fitting must have missed it. been interesting following it through seeing the different ways that the US handle a build as to down here. great job for a first timer on his own.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
Thanks for the input on the CATs. I had heard somewhere they were worth decent money.

I was hopeful I could do the build properly. With all the help you all provided, I thought I could get it done.

Starting the car last night. I sat there for about ten seconds with the key in my hand. Wife and other family was there to watch me fail or succeed. I was going to be utterly devastated if it didn't start and very excited if it did. Boy, was I glad it started about 4-5 seconds after I turned the key. Kept me awake most of the night with a grin on my face.

I never took an engine down to the short block before and was very slow about putting it back together, taking my time and checking myself twice as I assembled the various pieces. Took me about 7 weeks.

I added many of the upgrades you all suggested. Removed the Dump Relief Valve and added a plug. Installed the Holden AC Bracket. Upgraded to the ATI Dampener. Installed new bronze bushing rockers. Used new LS3 Intake Valves. Installed the VCM OTR CAI.

Hopefully, I get many years of enjoyment out of the car.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
For the old exhaust, it was a Borla system off the stock CATs. Don't know how long it was on there as I bought the car in January of this year with it installed. You think someone might want it?

I have no idea what it may bring.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #554 ·
No leaks from the passenger side rear of the engine. I'll keep an eye on it..

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I think we need a photo

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
Of no leak? Tell you what. I parked it on my asphalt driveway when I got home from the ride. If it did leak, maybe is was absorbed in the asphalt. I'll put in back in the garage tomorrow after a ride and let it sit there while I go hunting tomorrow afternoon/evening. It will be unattended from around noon until 8pm. I'll check it when I get home. I'll even spread a few paper towels that will crinkle in case it does leak while I am gone. I do hope they are dry when I return. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

..smiles..

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
For the old exhaust, it was a Borla system off the stock CATs. Don't know how long it was on there as I bought the car in January of this year with it installed. You think someone might want it?

I have no idea what it may bring.
Borla is an excellent exhaust and basically should never wear out. I've had one on my impala since 1996 and it's still as good as when I put it on. Really like the mellow tone too!

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
356 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
These are the best pics I can get in the dark at the moment. The ground wire to the head most he removed in order to get the tube to go where it has to go. You have to twist the tube a certain way but not bend it.

Reactions: GT Drew

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I noticed the dip stick tube bolt was backed out about the same distance as your spacer, I did tighten it up but now wonder if there should be a spacer there? There were some other posts earlier in this thread about the spacer kit from Kooks (those were on the car when I bought it), but the photos showed the spacer on the block by the oil pan. The dip stick is very tight trying to remove it, thinking the spacer may be needed on the head?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
Kooks did supply a spacer with the exhaust for the head connection. I am wrestling with how to bend/twist it to make it fit properly. I may just make a bracket and leave it where it is. I have a new tube being delivered next week so, I will try again and, my dip stick is very tight as well needing some pliers to help push down on it to get it seated.

541 - 560 of 575 Posts