Pontiac G8 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
They are BTR bolts.

I have a new timing chain and tensioner. Is that IWIS?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Well, the new 2800 stall torque converter from Circle D got installed today.

Guess I start taking the engine apart next week.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Okay, a dumb question. I seem to remember seeing a post where there was a discussion of a special tool that was needed to release the clamps on some of the hoses/tubing, if you will, on the engine. Did I see this correctly?

If so, is there a name or part number for this tool? I would hate to break some connections while disassembling the engine.

Thanks..

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
332 Posts
Not really, you can splurge on a fancy spring clamp tool if you really want but you can do the job just fine with pliers or channel locs. The only fancy hose connection is the trans cooler lines to the radiator, there's is a small wire clip that you need to dig out with a pick or small screwdriver.

Oops, also forgot the fuel inlet to rail, you do need a fuel line removal tool for that connection.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
332 Posts
Better: Hose Clamp Plier Auto Repair Tool Swivel Flat Band for Removal and Installation of Ring-Type or Flat-Band Hose Clamps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CR6BN2Y/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_MCN4GQHH6HCYNZ42RMJD

Best: 24" Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers Locking Tool Fuel Oil Water 2FT Long Reach https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3LYZM7/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_0DQ080X15EMZFYRX2D09

Fuel line connections: ABN Automotive SAE Air Conditioner & Fuel Line Quick Disconnect 7pc Tool Kit – Plastic Auto AC/Gas Set 1/4 – 7/8in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015D8QEGC/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_XR7GJ55368V9Q3XGW4M5

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Okay, this starts D Day (Disassembly Day). I am going to post pictures as I go for all those that are considering doing this themselves. I hope it starts in a few weeks when it is back together and I turn the key. At best, an average backyard mechanic here.

Any comments or questions are welcome.

I have removed the front bumper and the lower air dam. Pictures below.

Going to drain the oil and coolant next.

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Grille
Vehicle Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Car

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm jealous. I remember the excitement of the first time I cracked open my f-body to swap the cam. Hope to tear into the GXP one day. Have fun and take lots of pics!

-J

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I'll take lots of pics and post as I go to share and for me so I remember how to put it back together. ..smiles..

Pulled the front tires and put the car on two 3.5 ton Craftsman jack stands. Some genius put some kind of sealant on the oil drain plug. Took some force to get it off. Battery is disconnected as well.

I don't know if excited is the right word. More anxiety for me, haha.

Automotive tire Sculpture Wood Art Floor
Wood Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Audio equipment
Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Bumper Bag Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
I am going to pull the air box off next to get it out of the way. Throttle bode is filthy. Will need to clean that of course.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Air box is out. I am going to let the radiator drain more before next steps.. Throttle body is filthy. I'll need to clean that of course..

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Tire Finger Automotive lighting Measuring instrument
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Vehicle Car
Clay Ingredient Water Plastic Drink

·
Registered
387 Posts
Throw a wheel under the side of the car or put the front on ramps, IMO. I can't recall needing the wheels off for any front engine work but I might just be out of the loop with G8s. Just like a backup plan for the safety factor.

-J

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I raised the car to drain the oil and the radiator. To your point, I can put the wheels back on and lower the car for now. I'll double up on the jacks stands if I have to lift the car again.

I do have two questions..

1. Is there some trick to disconnecting the transmissions lines from the radiator?
2. I understand the fuel line needs to be de-pressurized before I disconnect anything connected to it. Can anyone give me a heads up on that process?

Disconnected the connector for the fans and a couple radiator hoses. Also, removed the clasps for the top of the radiator.

A little tip maybe. I cut myself twice on the front steel bumper. I taped on a couple stains pads to each side to save my skin.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part Carbon
Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Tire Hood Automotive tire Grille Wheel

·
Registered
387 Posts
(y) II just go overboard with safety especially if I'm working on something alone.

Got a pic of the fitting? I can't speak to the G8 but I know on my Chevy 2500 I had to pop a snap ring looking thing off with a screw driver, then the rest of the line just pulled out with some muscle.

Any time I have done fuel work on an LT/LS, I have taken the schraeder valve cap off the fuel rail, pressed the plunger to allow some fuel out, take the fuel cap off, and disconnect it. It's never PERFECT but I've never had a fuel tanker spill in my driveway. Perhaps someone whom is more experienced with these cars can chime in.

-J

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
332 Posts
Don't try to disconnect the lines from the radiator, about a foot back, the hoses connect to the hard trans lines with a metal wire clip

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
When I tried to disconnect the transmission lines from the radiator, I couldn't find the little clips to pull out. While trying to find them, I pushed the little white pieces back and the clips were underneath. Used a little hook tool and the clips came right out. See pic for little white pieces. I picked up a pack of little stoppers on Amazon for like $10. You can see the yellow stoppers I used in the pic below.

Amazon.com: 40 Pc 1/16" to 3/4" High Temp Silicone Rubber Tapered Plug Kit - Powder Coating Custom Painting Supplies : Automotive
Light Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior

Had to release the condenser from the bottom of the radiator to get the radiator out.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Brick Gas

Removed the two bolts holding the radiator and condenser together. Removed the upper and lower radiator hoses from the engine. Had to work the radiator around to get it out. Took a little effort as it kept binding on the condenser.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part
Font Metal Auto part Circuit component Rim

Picked up a small concrete mixing tray from the local Home Depot to slide under the engine to collect all the constant dripping. You can see the black plastic tray on the ground in one of the pictures above.

Removed the coil packs next. Pulled the little blue locking clip out and released the connector. Removed the five bolts holding the coil pack and it came right off. Removed the spark plug wires while doing so. Same for the passenger side..

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Vehicle Gas Auto part

When I pulled the radiator, I noticed my air conditioner belt had come off. I have no idea how or when that happened. Air was certainly working last month.

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle brake Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust

Okay, I'll send more as I get more done.

Put the tires back on and removed the jack stands as per Lastcall190's comment above. Car is on the ground.

Again, comments and questions are welcome.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Fuel Injectors..

As far as I know, mine are working fine. Should they be replaced?

·
Premium Member
7,868 Posts
...When I pulled the radiator, I noticed my air conditioner belt had come off. I have no idea how or when that happened. Air was certainly working last month...

Plan on cleaning or replacing the air filter?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
I think I am going to buy a VCM CAI and install it when I get the engine back together.

Thanks for the link on the AC belt.

61 - 80 of 163 Posts