Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for comments on a trade I'm thinking about doing.
History: We have been buying Pontiac cars since 1993, first one was a SSEI and owned multiple models of Pontiacs My wife is the primary driver & users the vehicle for daily commuting. We put around 20k miles on each year.

I have a 2009 Liquid Red GT with Sunroof 63k miles. This past summer the brakes & tires were replaced. The vehicle needs some TLC on the paint, the front hood & bumper needs painting as well as the rear bumper. Numerous of scratches and dings as well.

At the dealer tday when getting an oil change on my GMC The owner showed me a 2009 liquid Red GT with Sunroof & 19 inch premium tires
Here is the deal...My wife doesn't not want another car & wants to keep her GT for another 5 years.

Retail price 26,750 Trade in 13,500 Trade payoff 11,750
Trade equity 1,750
I have 19 payments of 593 left.
New Deal 60 months 3.3% $483 per month 110 less per month
Car is certified pre owned KBB shows sale price of 26.8k and trade value of 16.4k

The deal is not a great deal however we get a nearly new car for less payments per month & extend a use of a GT for another 5 years.
The dealer will also swap the tires & wheels from my GT to the purchased one as they as 2 months old. Plus a get a vehicle that I don't have to worry about maint costs on a 70k plus mileage car.

Thoughts? I believe I can get the purchase price down another 1.5K?
Thanks for your help PIC of NEW car enclosed.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't see how many miles the new on has on it but for the difference in amount of trade in. U could get everything fixed and still come out ahead i would think. Plus u could get ur current one refinanced to bring the payments down.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
My thoughts: I would not do it. I personally don't see the benefit of committing to another 5 years of financing on pretty much the exact same car. If it was a significant upgrade and a steal, maybe. You are very close to paying the car off. No car payment speaks loudly in my mind and opens up other spending doors like a brand new HQ paint job, mods, or a trip to Hawaii or something.

70K miles on an LS engine is nothing. We already have several members who have eclipsed 100K and in a few more years they will be checking in at 200K.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Wow, I paid 24k for my 2009 G8 GT brand new. I can't believe how they have kept their value.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm with Agose25 on this one. Keep what you have and get it paid off. Once it's paid off, just sit half of the money aside each month that you would've used to pay your car payment, and use it for repairs if needed or even better, use it on mods :) Then you still have the other half of the payment for savings, trips, or just to help with everyday bills.

·
****cray
2,199 Posts
another vote to keep what you have and get it paid off.
once paid off, you can get the paint / body issues repaired
and do some other mods with the car payment you dont
have anymore :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would keep what I have. Unless there is unmentioned problem, it may seem its 110.00 cheaper the length is the killer. I would only consider trading up to a GXP. Not staying in the GT.jmo good luck with your choice.

Sent from my SPH-D710

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did the same thing just over a year ago but it was for a gxp. People called that dumb (not here, just people I know) I see what your thinking though, lower millage plus warranty on a car you already love. Could go either way. But a paid off car is nice

·
Registered
209 Posts
don't do it... makes zero sense. if you were stepping up to a GXP?? that's personal preference, but for the same car? no way... if you were related to me i'd do everything in my power to talk you out of it lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am going to agree with everybody on the "no payments" but on the other hand if the payments dont bother you then you have a rare chance to start over and nobody will ever know, lol. You can tell everybody you had the car painted...

I paid $23,500 for mine with 16K miles 2 weeks ago. I am soooooooooooo happy with this car.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sell yours for WAY MORE and buy the new one. I traded my 08 G8 v6, loaded w/leather and moonroof with 63,000miles in for my 09 G8 GT in April. My new GT had 30,000miles. $24,500. They gave me $16,000 for the V6. Soooooooo. Sell your GT for 18-19k on Craigslist and buy the new one! You'd only be financing $7k and for 3.3%, why not? That a 3 year loan (36 payments) and a "New" car. That's what I would do. Think about it.

·
Go fast grocery getter
610 Posts
Keep your current and pay her off. No car payment (I think it was implied that you're paying $600/month now) will be huge, especially if you're trying to justify your decision by saving $110 per month on the new one.

Like others have said, 70k is not a lot on these engines. I fully expect to go another 5 years with my car (I bought new in 2008 and have 79k miles on her).

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I like the enthusiasm you show for what is truly a great car however ... 19 payments left on an already nearly 4 yr old car ... Pay it off vs extending out another 5 yrs on what will be an 8-9 yr old car then. Sure it'll still look good but not sure what kind of equity you'll have on it then. As much as I love my GT I'm not sure I'll keep it when it's 10 yrs old as I drive it daily. GXP ... Different story. GL!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I still say with the way these cars are holding the value, Sell yours for $19,000

Have $7,500 to put down on the "NEW" one with the super low 3.3% interest rate.

If you get it for $1,500 less than sticker like you say. You'd get the new one for around $19,000 after tax.

$343 would be the monthly payment and lower miles without the scratches and dings.

Also, at 40,000miles mine has went in for a new camshaft and valves, also in at 20,000miles for some work before I owned it.

Both time covered by warranty.

Buddy Jesse has his in getting new Rings, Oil Pump and some other misc parts fixed. He has 103,000miles. His extended warranty so he's covered.

Just some info I would share.

·
Crimson Cruiser
143 Posts
The new one will have the same body and paint issues when it hits 70k if it is used as a daily driver. It is too big of a loss. You still have powertrain warranty left and once it is paid off you can save up for a full restore when the time comes it will no longer be a daily driver. The money you spending on a milage reset could cover the cost of a high performance crate motor. GT with LT-1 is my current thinking when my motor is done many years down the road.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The new one will have the same body and paint issues when it hits 70k if it is used as a daily driver. It is too big of a loss. You still have powertrain warranty left and once it is paid off you can save up for a full restore when the time comes it will no longer be a daily driver. The money you spending on a milage reset could cover the cost of a high performance crate motor. GT with LT-1 is my current thinking when my motor is done many years down the road.
Agreed, and makes sense too, love the LT1 idea too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
16 Participants
njg8
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing