Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice on Brake replacement.

I am hoping to upgrade to 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears.

My headache seems to be around the rears, being a M6 and parking on a sloped driveway. I need to have a working handbrake.

What options are available to myself and any recommendations for a complete setup: (Daily Driver mostly, Mosport track sessions 3-4 times/year) looking to spend $3,000 or less for a full turnkey.

Cheers

Chris

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Somewhere I heard about using the HSV rears allowing you to keep the parking brake. This is the reason why I haven't upgraded mine either. I need that parking brake, and parking in gear isn't my idea of fun.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Before you sink any major bucks on calipers. Do a "performance" pad upgrade first. Nothing from the parts store. You will be amazed at the difference getting rid of the stock pads makes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any recommendations on which "Performance Pad"?

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice on Brake replacement.

I am hoping to upgrade to 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears.

My headache seems to be around the rears, being a M6 and parking on a sloped driveway. I need to have a working handbrake.

What options are available to myself and any recommendations for a complete setup: (Daily Driver mostly, Mosport track sessions 3-4 times/year) looking to spend $3,000 or less for a full turnkey.

Cheers

Chris
I can't speak for the price of the HSV rotors (I've heard they're rather steep!) but with careful shopping on Amazon, you can get a 2nd gen CTS-V setup for a tick over 2k, with all new GM parts (save for Hawk front pads, and Russell braided lines). Yeah I've been doing some research lol. Also, between the colours I found available, silver rears cost less than yellow ones, but yellow fronts are cheaper than silver ones. Oh and a buddy of mine has a powder coating business in Bolton, if anyone's interested...

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
You missed the part about needing the parking brake. Which I think is the draw back to upgrading the rears currently if you use the CTS-V setup.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
I didn't miss it. You mentioned the HSV option in your initial post. If they do work, there's your (somewhat expensive) solution. I'd guess you'd still be under 3k total for everything going that route.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You could just keep the front calipers and upgrade to a better pad and rotor combo. Then do the HSV rear rotor and ctsv caliper. Done. Way under your budget. Install some front brake coolers since you do track days. Brake coolers are gonna be your most noticeable upgrade for track days since you have front brembos already. Cuts your fade in half. Just my opinion. No reason to spend the big money on 6 piston Vs. unless you want to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
No kidding! I didn't realize I actually did buy a 4dr vette. Now I have to pick and chose which one I'm modding this month.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
6 piston front brembo $1000-1200K for ALL parts brand new
4 piston front brembo $600-700K including HSV rotors for ALL parts brand new
Front and rear still be under 2K

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wildwood kit is 2k for everything for the rears and works with the parking break. You can easily get it done cheaper however

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Wildwood kit is 2k for everything for the rears and works with the parking break. You can easily get it done cheaper however
Wildwood kit is $2000+ rear only
brembo including HSV rotors $600 works with the parking break

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
While you keep talking about it, 6 sets got sold on amazon
All that set is missing is 4 bolts which is another $20 and pads $120

6 piston front brembo
ACDelco 18K2108X Disc Brake Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit - ACDelco
$20.98
ACDelco 172-2521 OE Service Front Brake Caliper - ACDelco
$274.87
ACDelco 172-2522 OE Service Front Brake Caliper - ACDelco
$270.32
ACDelco 177-1105 OE Service Front Brake Rotor - ACDelco
$213.90 x2
Subtotal: $993.97

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
part numbers

While you keep talking about it, 6 sets got sold on amazon
All that set is missing is 4 bolts which is another $20 and pads $120

6 piston front brembo
ACDelco 18K2108X Disc Brake Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit - ACDelco
$20.98
ACDelco 172-2521 OE Service Front Brake Caliper - ACDelco
$274.87
ACDelco 172-2522 OE Service Front Brake Caliper - ACDelco
$270.32
ACDelco 177-1105 OE Service Front Brake Rotor - ACDelco
$213.90 x2
Subtotal: $993.97
Are these the same part numbers as pace performance?? Is it true that with the 6 piston calipers you have to drill the bolt holes to a bigger bolt????

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Carbotech pads are very good, BTW.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Are these the same part numbers as pace performance?? Is it true that with the 6 piston calipers you have to drill the bolt holes to a bigger bolt????

I listed yellow
Pace is most likely silver, they cost more

5 silver sets on amazon right now
ACDelco 172-2487 OE Service Front Brake Caliper $340
ACDelco 172-2488 OE Service Front Brake Caliper $340

·
Registered
118 Posts
For a working parking brake you do have a few options. First, you can switch over to the Camaro rear (Zeta 2) setup, If you Autocross or track the car this will be cheaper in the long run, and will also improve the suspension geomentry. Option 2 is get a set of Squash performance rear brackets and then contact Specialty Group in Detroit, MI. Send them a set of G8 rear ebrake shoes and they can reline them to fit the larger factory Camaro rotors. Option 3, go with the DBA rotors, no brackets, Camaro or CTS-v calipers and pads but you will need to trim the rear brake pads to fit with the slightly smaller rotors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts