Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Official Top Gear Addict
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since in my searches I noticed a lot of indefinite information on how to install a catch can on a GXP (LS3) I thought I would document my install. Very simple overall, took about 30 minutes.

Tools:
Flat screwdriver
Needle-nose pliers
Wrenches/Socket (to install bracketry)
Utility knife
Plastic zip-ties

Here is a picture of the front of the LS3 with no modification aside from an intake. I will be using the bracket next to the fuse box to mount the can.

First step: Remove the intake breather line from its location above the valve cover, and move it out of the way.

Now remove the plastic line from the plastic box (insert function/part name here) with needle nose pliers, move the line aside,remove the wiring connector and slide the box off the bracket by prying up the locking tab with the screwdriver, move the box aside to make room to work.

Next remove the stock PCV line from below the throttle body. This is held in with quick release clips, which are a pain to get to unless you have baby hands. I set a bad example of impatience and just pried the ends with a screwdriver and removed it that way, but it is now unusable, but I don't intend to ever put it back to stock anyway. The top line is the intake manifold side, the bottom is the engine side (crankcase).

This is the line to look for, and remove.

This is where I had to do some more digging to find definitive answers, the bottom port on the engine should be connected to the bottom port on the can with 3/8" hose, and the top port on the manifold should be connected to the top port on the can with the same 3/8" hose. For this installation the Mike Norris can didn't come with enough hose, so I got 2' of 3/8" hose from work and I used about a foot and a half to go from the bottom port to the can, and used the supplied hose to do the top port.

This shows the temporary routing I used to mock things up, I later settled on routing the hoses differently to get the heater hoses to lay flat like stock.

Now is the time to put the black plastic box, its plastic line and wiring connector, and the intake breather all back in their places and route your hoses. Basically I just let the hoses and stock items dictate where to route the hoses for the can, so that they weren't in anything's way.

I also mounted the bracket with some M6 hardware in the upper most hole the factory left in the bracket next to the fuse box.

You may notice the *fabulous* blue zip-ties, I ran out of black. :nonono: But that is to keep the heater hoses clear of the bottom of the can where the drain is. Otherwise they would have rubbed on the can, because of how low I had to adjust the can in the bracket to get it to clear the hood.

And, all done! I'll update any mis-information if need be.

·
Official Top Gear Addict
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, any LS motor really. But the GXP has a different PCV system than the GT does, which is why I wanted to compile this write-up. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sub'd because I still need to do this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been wanting to do this to my car too... THANKS!!

·
Official Top Gear Addict
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. Originally I wanted red. Anything but blue really. But I was impatient and blue was in stock. So I had it switched to blue, I don't mind that it's blue.

·
Official Top Gear Addict
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It helps keep oil and condensation (water) out of the upper intake, and from building up on the valves, where over time can build up "gunk" which could be less than an ideal condition. Some people say yay, some nay, but my theory is that oil and or water doesn't belong (and therefore shouldn't be) in the intake system. Basically this filters the liquids from the PCV system, allowing only air from the crankcase to vent back into the intake.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Why install this?
It helps keep oil and condensation (water) out of the upper intake, and from building up on the valves, where over time can build up "gunk" which could be less than an ideal condition. Some people say yay, some nay, but my theory is that oil and or water doesn't belong (and therefore shouldn't be) in the intake system. Basically this filters the liquids from the PCV system, allowing only air from the crankcase to vent back into the intake.
You can look up some posts from one of our members - mr_didgers.
He was a Lube and Vent Test Engineer for GM.
His intimate knowledge in this field determined that a catch can isn't really needed until the OEM intake has been altered.
Once it has there may be sufficient cause for a catch can.

Let's be clear though that "need" does not necessarily equal "piece of mind" in this case.
You may be performing preventative measures but the need may not be significant in an operation window of 150,000 miles.

The reason has been pretty much laid out by SSEiMan01.
By the way, this has been added to the DIY section of the board.
If there are corrections or additions to this thread please notify one of the G8Board staff so they can edit the DIY thread.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Nice work man! Thanks for posting. I love mine and it damn sure works too!

·
Official Top Gear Addict
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! This reminds me I need to check this sucker soon. Been a little over a week and ~800 miles.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in here for the benefit of those wanting a good quality catch can set up, Billet Technology now sells billet accessories for the '04-06 GTO engine bay, including the original catch can that was made for a sponser here called Billet Prototype. That business eventually went out of business as many of you know, but they weren't the actual manufacturer. So, you can now buy them again without all the wait and hassle/ordering issues of the past. I've had the original on my GTO before trading it in for my G8, and it works flawlessly and looks great.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You can look up some posts from one of our members - mr_didgers.
He was a Lube and Vent Test Engineer for GM.
His intimate knowledge in this field determined that a catch can isn't really needed until the OEM intake has been altered.
Once it has there may be sufficient cause for a catch can.

Let's be clear though that "need" does not necessarily equal "piece of mind" in this case.
You may be performing preventative measures but the need may not be significant in an operation window of 150,000 miles.

The reason has been pretty much laid out by SSEiMan01.
By the way, this has been added to the DIY section of the board.
If there are corrections or additions to this thread please notify one of the G8Board staff so they can edit the DIY thread.
No one modifies the OEM intake in a test facility; it's designed before it even gets there and redesigned after that if/when necessary. It's built for the masses. It is tested for all weather conditions and made into a mass produced part that can be used for just that. I work in the same facility as this person, tell him/her to take a peek into my intake manifold, then into my catch jar, then tell me it's not necessary. There's much more to be said on the topic, but I respect the intimate details of my company that I refuse to share with any competitor that might be watching this thread.

Sorry to sound harsh, but it's a dog eat dog world folks.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
No one modifies the OEM intake in a test facility; it's designed before it even gets there and redesigned after that if/when necessary. It's built for the masses. It is tested for all weather conditions and made into a mass produced part that can be used for just that. I work in the same facility as this person, tell him/her to take a peek into my intake manifold, then into my catch jar, then tell me it's not necessary. There's much more to be said on the topic, but I respect the intimate details of my company that I refuse to share with any competitor that might be watching this thread.

Sorry to sound harsh, but it's a dog eat dog world folks.

He hasn't frequented the forum in a while and like I said he's a former employee.
However, here is one thread (a couple years old) where he was discussing the topic briefly.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42327
I remember at least one other thread where there was a more focused discussion on this but can't find it right now.

I don't think there is any discouragement of installing a catch can here.
I didn't mean to offend you. :confused: :wall:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great write up, its definitely one of those mods everyone should do no matter what. Its cheap and easy and the benefits are there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts