Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents. I don't think I ever posted about my half mile experience. Anyway, I learned a few things. One thing was I needed more gearing. A 3.70 gear with a 25.6" Hoosier DR was not optimal for the half mile racing. I ended up being at redline well before the end, which resulted in a less then favorable trap speed. I ran 8 times, and all my runs where between 159-163 mph. This event took place in October, so it was still very hot. 97 degrees ambient to be exact. Anyway, the car is a tad stronger now, and has better gearing. I will be attending another half mile event in March and I am hoping for 165+. Anyway, here are some videos to give you a better idea. It was a fun experience. In this type of racing, its all about how much power you have. Very little skill required. lol. All my runs began in 3rd gear BTW.

Inside view...

Rear view...

Another rear view..

Another rear view with 5th gear missing action. lol

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very interested in doing this. Talk some about the cost, the prep, the tech, event management, etc. Thanks.

Omega Motorsports hosted the event. It was somewhat organized. Not bad. You pay 200.00 to run all day, as many times as you want. You race whoever you want. You want to make sure you have good tires, good belts, new oil and plugs.

I am very anal about the maintenance of my car, and so before and after the event, I changed the oil. I also checked my plugs, changed my clutch fluid, etc. Basically changed all my fluids except my coolant after the event. The event will definitely bring out a bad tune, or an engine that is about to break. Lots of high HP engines blow at these type of events, so your tune and maintenance all need to be in check. Especially when it's warm out.

·
G8/LSX n00b
855 Posts
JEEZ that thing was movin! I might go watch u in March.

·
165 Posts
What is your approximate MPH when the run begins in third gear?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
maxspeed96ct
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing