Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
This is great news for those selling a G8 GXP, but it is making it more costly for those who still hope to own one.

·
GWS Pontiac
634 Posts
Holy moly!

I always thought this G8 GXP had great potential for being a "collector car," not unlike the 1987 Buick GNX.

I guess such estimates as $40700 to $47800 with "there’s no downside to this car, and it will never get any cheaper," only help to confirm this inevitability.

Now, what is my 6600 mile M6 worth?

;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Love how they put the GXP right smack in the middle.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Holy moly!

I always thought this G8 GXP had great potential for being a "collector car," not unlike the 1987 Buick GNX.

I guess such estimates as $40700 to $47800 with "there’s no downside to this car, and it will never get any cheaper," only help to confirm this inevitability.

Now, what is my 6600 mile M6 worth?

;)
I went to check the G8 GXP Registry to see what combination your car is, and drop you a message with some advice. I am not seeing it under your screen name though. Have you gotten me the last 6 digits of your VIN, so I could get you all your specific production info? This would also help me to give you worthwhile information.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I wonder how much mileage and mods affect the price....

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
So far the GXPs with under 10,000 miles are fetching the most money. The more miles you have enjoyed your GXP, the more it will depreciate (that won't stop me from enjoying mine though). In addition, most people who contact me are looking for unmodded GXPs. They either intend to keep them stock, or want to mod them to their own liking. I tell folks all the time that selling a car with mods likely isn't doing you any favors. At best, you will see pennies back for every dollar you spent. You are better off keeping all stock parts, returning the car to stock before selling, and then selling the mods at a used discount to others trying to pinch pennies.

·
Lone Star State
212 Posts
Hang on to 'em

I've posted elsewhere about Hot Rod magazine calling the 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP a "surefire collector's item" in their Sept. 2009 publication. They knew 10 years ago this car would be desirable, so I've keep my total miles down to about 13K. I rarely see another GXP when I take a drive on those clear weekends. I see lots of Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars, etc., but the rarity of the GXP will always be there. Hagerty is safe to say, "There’s no downside to this car, and it will never get any cheaper."

·
There was one?
2,308 Posts
127k miles and counting. Mods galore.....outta be worth something? LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think mine will stay in my collection for a while. It's at 94k now, but only 9,000 of those miles are from the two years I've owned it. It's fairly dusty in the garage at the moment, but I bought it to drive it, not to keep it nice for someone else to buy later.

On a similar note, there's another "last of" Pontiac I would like to own again. A 2002 Trans Am. I wish I hadn't sold the last one, but it made sense at the time. I hope to find another like it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
52,000 Smiles here. She stays in the garage 5 days a week, and comes out to stretch on the weekends if weather permits. I enjoy it, as it was meant to be!

I did keep every single factory part, nut and bolt on my GXP. I also made everything 110% reversible to stock, just in case I ever decided to be boring and sell. However, my son has called dibs on the GXP now. So, looks like the GXP isn't going anywhere for a long time.

·
There was one?
2,308 Posts
So far the GXPs with under 10,000 miles are fetching the most money. The more miles you have enjoyed your GXP, the more it will depreciate (that won't stop me from enjoying mine though). In addition, most people who contact me are looking for unmodded GXPs. They either intend to keep them stock, or want to mod them to their own liking. I tell folks all the time that selling a car with mods likely isn't doing you any favors. At best, you will see pennies back for every dollar you spent. You are better off keeping all stock parts, returning the car to stock before selling, and then selling the mods at a used discount to others trying to pinch pennies.
This phenomenon is all to real.....experienced it first hand when attempting to sell. I just told potential buyers, find a stock GXP like mine and then mod it for the difference....crickets........:laugh2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
i'm lucky to have two of the cars Hagerty lists, a PBM with A6 and roof with 23.500 miles. 5 yrs ago i also bought a one owner '95 Buick Roadmaster wagon with 66k miles(now 78k) always garaged . i wish the '08 IOM GT would come up on that list too. mines covered in the garage like the rest of its garage mates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be interesting to see how the Chevy SS's do in a few more years.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
The Chevrolet SS is a really nice car, and by 2016 & 2017 they really had it "perfected". However, since there were so many more of them built over the 4 years, I predict that they won't hold their value quite as well as the G8 GXP. I have to admit though, that I would LOVE to have a 2016 or 2017 SS to keep my GXP company, but that won't be in the cards for quite awhile.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts