Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has sought to change the color of the center display (DIC) in the G8's dash. I first saw that some the G8's siblings (i.e. Caprice) has a DIC that is back-lit in white. So, I figured it'd be easy enough to change it...just get that alternate part and install. I researched some on the web and found this company in Macomb, MI (near Detroit) that actually mods the car with the white DIC (keep it clean, folks) and also includes a re-calibration of the gauges. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near Detroit and haven't found anyplace/anyone else who's even heard of this. So, I decided to ask here.

If you're wondering what I'm complaining about, it's the fact that the red lighting on the DIC is hard to see during bright daylight. There's also a lot of glare from the dash components (and even my incredibly pale face...seriously) that hinders my view. If I wear sunglasses before the DRLs come on in the morning...FORGET IT...can't see a thing on the DIC.

So, here's a pic of what I'm talking about...
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/in...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54&vmcchk=1&Itemid=54

I'm not 100% sure I want to go with the white DIC but I at least want to brighten the back light with the current one. Has anyone out there done anything to improve the visibility of their DIC? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll add that I've contacted the company that I linked but they aren't very forthcoming with information (or possibly just not good with email). From what I gathered, you have to bring the car to them and it takes them more than a day (at least one night at the shop) to get the work done. When I first contacted them, I had a business trip planned to Detroit and thought I might drive it and get the work done while there. That trip changed so I couldn't follow-through. So...I'm hoping you folks can share some info. :)

·
Cynical A$$hole
2,353 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice find regarding the cluster rework site… That blue DIC looks good, I changed the led’s up a bit, took about 2-3 hours, dic still stock, may change it after seeing your post… sorry the pic is a little out of focus…good luck…

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has sought to change the color of the center display (DIC) in the G8's dash. I first saw that some the G8's siblings (i.e. Caprice) has a DIC that is back-lit in white. So, I figured it'd be easy enough to change it...just get that alternate part and install. I researched some on the web and found this company in Macomb, MI (near Detroit) that actually mods the car with the white DIC (keep it clean, folks) and also includes a re-calibration of the gauges. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near Detroit and haven't found anyplace/anyone else who's even heard of this. So, I decided to ask here.

If you're wondering what I'm complaining about, it's the fact that the red lighting on the DIC is hard to see during bright daylight. There's also a lot of glare from the dash components (and even my incredibly pale face...seriously) that hinders my view. If I wear sunglasses before the DRLs come on in the morning...FORGET IT...can't see a thing on the DIC.

So, here's a pic of what I'm talking about...
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/in...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54&vmcchk=1&Itemid=54

I'm not 100% sure I want to go with the white DIC but I at least want to brighten the back light with the current one. Has anyone out there done anything to improve the visibility of their DIC? Thanks in advance for any help.
He is very big in the gto world and does great work. Look him up on ls1gto.com and you will find many happy customers. I do believe you can remove the gauge cluster and send it to him if you cannot make the drive to him.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Nice find regarding the cluster rework site… That blue DIC looks good, I changed the led’s up a bit, took about 2-3 hours, dic still stock, may change it after seeing your post… sorry the pic is a little out of focus…good luck…

Nice change there....I do like the stock colors of the Gauges, tho the DCI I would change.

QUESTION: What is that installed under the A/C Controls?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice change there....I do like the stock colors of the Gauges, tho the DCI I would change.

QUESTION: What is that installed under the A/C Controls?
Thats Pioneer DEQ-7600.

Interesting how he mounted that.
I happened to have one of them sitting on garage from my days of Import with double din radio, and had no use for them.

They are cool, as you can see that cool dancing lights.
Since OEM audio on our car have external amp, it may actually be used to control OEM amp..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts