Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to get a handle on how big the g8 is, and the pics havent really helped me any since i havent seen any side by side with other cars. I compared the dimensions of the 750i and the interior and exterior are almost identical, but weighs in almost 500lbs less. Wow this car is going to be BIG!

G8 dimensions
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2008&regionID=1&divisionID=7&type=0&vehicleID=6090&section=dim&page=&butID=6

750i Dimensions
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/7/750iSedan/techdata.htm

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Wheelbase is 3" shorter. That's a lot in the car world. Although the body is pretty much the same length.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Good analogy, that is what my impression of the G8 was: In person, it is bigger than a 5 series but just smaller than a 7 series. Definitely a presence in person!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep, but the BMW is only 4.8 Liters, producing 360/360, vs the 6.0L in the G8
Yeah, you got all those cam drives running around the DOHC and 4 valve chambers versus OHV and 2 valve chambers!!

And the torque of the Holden comes in much lower revs than the Bimmer!!

Lazy GM is preferrable to a higher revving DOHC Bimmer.

Mike

·
Alexander Haig
1,858 Posts
comparo among GM's fleet

At the onset I was so sure that the G8 was almost identical in size to the last Bonneville that it was starting to make me wonder if I could sell a "big" car to the wife. But take a look, not at wheelbases, but at overall outside dimensions for a feel of where it fits in GM's lineup. I knew it was bigger than the larger for 08 CTS, but the wheelbase is very very close. But looking at overall length the LaCrosse, Impala, and even GrandPrix are longer. 2" shorter in length than a GP, but 3 inches wider. 2" taller than the GP, but an inch lower than the Impala. The extra width, combined with longer wheelbase gives us greater interior shoulder and hip room. In fact the closest GM car in size is actually the Caddy DTS, when yu look at every number except overall length. Even the body width and track are very similar. But it takes the DTS an additional inch of wheelbase and almost an entire foot in length to package their car.
G8
GrandPrix
CTS
DTS
LaCrosse
Impala

This morning's takeaway lesson is it is amazing comparing the GP, Impala, and LaCrosse which are purportedly the same car that anyone could accuse GM of badge engineering this trio. Only the mechanical chassis is the same.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
If you look at the last Bonneville dimensions, it's actually closer to the G8 in nearly every spec but overall length than the GP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah, have you got the right specs for the 750i? Its definitely bigger....

As to teh GM 6 Liter versus the 4.8 in the 550i and 750i, the 4.8L builds its peak torque at 3400 RPM, and it has 360 ft-lbs. I know GM V8s, and while the G8 builds higher peak torque, if my old 5.7 Liter engines are any indication the peak torque on this will come in the high 3000 rpm range or higher.

As to the revs of the 4.8, its not a 7000 RPM+ car, its peak I think its 6000 RPM. Very similar to the G8 V8. Plus, even though its DOHC, the engine is actually lighter.

Not to mention how many HP per Liter its making: the G8 is making 60 hp per liter. The N62B48 (thats the BMW engine code for it) makes 75 HP per liter. If BMW built that large of engine, it'd have 450 hp! Thats better than an LS2 and both engines would be doing it on 91 octane.

I'm a G8 fan because I can afford it, but no one here should be bashing the 5 or 7 series. Those cars outsold the American ones in the same segments for two decades for a reason. One more thing: the G8 fully equipped is less than a 5 series or 7 series, but its also about half as well as equipped. I've drive both, and they both offer heated rear seats (the G8 does not), headlamp washers (the G8 does not), bluetooth access, sat-nav that does not require subscription (and its truely uplinked with a satellite, not DVD based), BMW Ultimate Service (Basically, Onstar), sport packages with way more options, and better seats (just go one day to a BMW dealer and ask if you can sit in a 550i, you'll want to take the seat home as a recliner).

I'm not bashing the G8, but the disrespect to BMW needs to end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts