Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Drive train from a G8 Ly7 motor and trans. I foolishly thought it would be similar to other ls swaps.

uhhmm.. Not true the trouble is the ECM and all the electroinc things that need to be bypassed to get the engine and trans to run in another vehicle (Austin Healey 3000) in my case.

If any one can help I would be great-full and willing to pay for expertise.

It seems unless your going Japanese or V8 no one wants to work on things.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I may be able to help you, but I am not making any promises.

Do you have the ECM and the TCM as well as the harnesses?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Harness and ECM from the totaled G8. I think I have have the TCM if not I can get it.
I really appreciate you guys taking the time to even read the post. I am astonished that there is so little out there for this engine and trans its a perfect swap... well at-least on paper it seems like a great solution.

Again thank you. and please I will pay for anyone's expertise in helping me solve this problem. I think it would be very beneficial to a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You are going to need standalone controller/s. Wont work as it sits because the PCM needs to communicate with BCM and other modules to even crank.
Or could be piggyback the bcm, use that for signal triggers and outputs (gauges, signals and all of that)

Since its all custom anyway if that would work he could pin out a harness and be ahead of the game where all that wiring would be concerned....

Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing for sure it's going to be a challenge. I am going to document everything. So the next guy won't have it so hard. It's funny when I bought the drive train the seller was like " oh yea no problem" sheesh I got suckered. I am still a fan of the engine I just can't believe how little aftermarket support it has. I am taking the ECM to the dealer on monday to see what they can do. Surprisingly they were actually willing to try.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
One thing for sure it's going to be a challenge. I am going to document everything. So the next guy won't have it so hard. It's funny when I bought the drive train the seller was like " oh yea no problem" sheesh I got suckered. I am still a fan of the engine I just can't believe how little aftermarket support it has. I am taking the ECM to the dealer on monday to see what they can do. Surprisingly they were actually willing to try.
Hey there barryhund,

I see that you planned on taking your vehicle into the dealer yesterday. I am very interested on how everything went. Please let me know the details of your visit to the dealer.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Dealer basically said I am sh*t out of luck. All kinds of tuners out there but none for this particular ly7. I have not given up yet but I am getting there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.