Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only seen a few G8s' with this, and I kind of get the impression there's not a lot of love for it on the board. But I was wondering about opinions on the G8 sport graphic package that has the black stripes that go up the front panels to the hood where it meets the scoops. Then there are stripes that go up the rear panels as well. I think it looks cool and would jazz up the car in a tasteful manner.

Was this just a dealer option (or did any vehicles come with this stripe package from the factory)?
Does anyone know if it is still available and if you would just go the dealer to have it applied? Cost?
Would putting it on a GXP alter your recommendation one way or the other (or not a factor at all)?

I've always kind of liked racing stripes or other such add-ons, and it would also allow me to add some black to the car!

·
every village has one
2,169 Posts
It’s your car. If you like it, do it:)
Not all that important what some guy who sees your once or twice thinks and you damn sure don’t have to explain it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that's it. Thank you, LOWEREDD. I would definitely want someone else to do the application, though. I wouldn't trust myself. I'm not sure if I would move forward with it or not. But it's nice to have some of my questions answered. If anyone else has an opinion or experience with these kinds of decals, feel free to chime in.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
...Was this just a dealer option (or did any vehicles come with this stripe package from the factory)? Does anyone know if it is still available and if you would just go the dealer to have it applied? Cost? Would putting it on a GXP alter your recommendation one way or the other (or not a factor at all)?...
No. The stripes were available online, but don't recall the specific website(s). Yes. Assuming a few sets are still roaming around the Internet. No. Most reputable body shops should be able to correctly apply the stripes. Yes. Maybe on the V6 as the stripes scream "hey everyone over here/look at me". No on a GT and hedoublehockeysticks no on a GXP. Having said that, if you like them go for it. Providing a few other decal choices below.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here's a GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH for stripes on this forum. Some pretty cool stripes people have done to their G8s. I have a WH G8 and copied the black and red bathurst stripes you see in the 2nd image.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
A big fan of doing whatever you want to your own car if that's what you like.

My personal opinion, because you asked is that the G8 is a pretty well designed car. It's also pretty rare in most cities, so I've never felt like I needed to do anything to draw someone's eye. I guess it might be an option to cover up some rock chips lol.

There are some factory packages offered for some of the hemi's, camaros and vette's that I like. But at the end of the day I'm not sure I'd go for one. I like an easy to clean and polish paint job.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
I dig the little rally ticks on the front fenders. The big quarter panel stripes aren't my thing, but they are definitely better than regular racing stripes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think they're the opposite of tasteful and don't compliment the car in any way. That said, as long as it's just a sticker you can always remove them when it's time to sell.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, guys. Lots of good information. I appreciate all of the searches and compilations that were put together. I didn't realize there were so many options or that much imagination. What about having them painted on versus the vinyl application? I'm assuming having them painted would cost more, but would be much less maintenance in the long run. I do like to take my car through the touchless. So I'm not sure if there are specific concerns that I would need to keep in mind with vinyl packages.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
A lot of times, less is more.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Thanks, guys. Lots of good information. I appreciate all of the searches and compilations that were put together. I didn't realize there were so many options or that much imagination. What about having them painted on versus the vinyl application? I'm assuming having them painted would cost more, but would be much less maintenance in the long run. I do like to take my car through the touchless. So I'm not sure if there are specific concerns that I would need to keep in mind with vinyl packages.
paint will always cost more and hold up better. It shouldn't chip as easy, edges wont peel and you can polish and protect it just like the rest of the car. The downside, as mentioned is that it's pretty permanent. And if you go to sell, it may deter some buyers.

Maybe consider a wrap job? Not sure I've seen any 8's with a wrap but its a temporary thing that could be just what you're looking for.

·
Registered
469 Posts
paint will always cost more and hold up better. It shouldn't chip as easy, edges wont peel and you can polish and protect it just like the rest of the car. The downside, as mentioned is that it's pretty permanent. And if you go to sell, it may deter some buyers.

Maybe consider a wrap job? Not sure I've seen any 8's with a wrap but its a temporary thing that could be just what you're looking for.
The problem is that a wrap job that will stand up to time can cost as much as a decent paint job... That being said, there are some realllly cool wraps out there.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It's your car. If you like it, go for it! You don't need validation from us.

However, you did ask for opinions. I would definitely stay away from that stripe package. I agree with someone above that said our cars are pretty well designed without needing additional attention. I think the stripes you're considering make the car look more "racecar" and I just don't think our cars need that. I especially think these don't belong on a GXP. But, as someone else said, if they're removable, it should kill the value.

Good luck with your decision!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts