Pontiac G8 Forum banner

What will be my best 60ft next time at the strip?

• 1.6 seconds

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 1.7 seconds

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 1.8 seconds

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 1.9 seconds

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 2.0 seconds

Votes: 2 12.5%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the trigger on some suspension and handling upgrades. I figured my car makes pretty decent power, now its time to do my due diligence by purchasing parts to manage and handle that power more effectively.

I ended up purchasing the following upgrades to improve handling and performance:

• Pedders Street XA Package
  • Pfadt Rear Control Arms (Trailing Arms & Toe Rods)
  • Nitto NT05r 285 18 inch Drag Radials

G8 ready for surgery...

Pfadt arms ready for bushings:

Drag Radials ready to be mounted:

Nothing like brand new rubbers!

The Pedders Street XA kit has not arrived yet, but I'll be expecting that early next week. I plan on installing the Pfadt arms tonight in the garage, and meanwhile the Tires are already at Discount Tire getting mounted on my stock 18 inch OEM wheels.

Very excited to see how this boat handles after these much needed upgrades!

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got the tires all finished up and mounted from Discount tire. They came out looking pretty decent on the stock 18 inch wheels. I can't wait to see how these wheels will do at the drag strip!

I also got the Pfadt trailing arms installed on the G8 tonight. I'm going to save the toe rods for a different night.

Trailing arm without the metal sleeve installed

Stock vs Pfadt

Stock Trailing Arms

Trailing Arm removed:

The toughest part of the install was removing the OEM bushings in the rear knuckle that connect the lower part of the trailing arm.

Pfadt recommends using their custom bushing removal kit that is $30 dollars, but I ended up renting a ball joint press for O'reileys and it worked great to remove the bushings.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Luckey you can i contacted pfadt wen they first cam out with those. They couldn't guarantee perfect fitment so i went with spohn. With XA and BMR sways. You will love the improvements!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you probably know but you have to drop the subframe for one toe rod, so get your subframe inserts ready when you do that
Thanks for the tip. Yeah this is another reason why I decided to do the toe rods when my Pedders XA kit shows up next week.

You can see one of the upper toe rod bolts wouldn't come out because it will bump directly into the subframe like you mentioned.

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just took the car out for a quick joy ride with the new arms installed. I can definitely notice a difference. Not so much when cruise, but when the tires break loose there is a lot less wheel hop and more grip to the road.

Very impressed thus far and I've only installed a small fraction in the big scheme of all the suspension upgrades on the way.

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

With the Pedders XA coilovers and Bushings arriving next week, I wanted to prepare the car. I'm assuming with 285 tires on the rear that the drop could have me rubbing badly.

So I got my fenders rolled this morning, and I'm pretty impressed with how they came out. Naturally the fenders bulge out a little bit more, but its quite smooth and well done where I don't feel its noticeable.

Can't wait to drop this car and install the missing parts!

Drag Radial installed

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:

I picked up most of my Pedders XA kit yesterday. I have the entire kit minus a couple bushings.

The coilovers looks awesome and I can't wait to get them installed. The bushings are a lot bigger than I imagined. Pictures don't do justice.

XA Coilovers:

Front Radios Rod Bushings

Diff Bushings

Drilling first two holes for strut mount brace

Drilled all 3 wholes:

Test fit plate:

Not sure when I'll complete the install but I'll try to keep you all updated with updates and pictures along the way.

This G8 needs a drop!

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well Pedders is slow getting me the remaining parts so the install is pretty much on hold at this point. Pedders was supposed to have all the parts dropped shipped last week at MAP based on the ETA I was given, but that never happened.

The weather here in Minnesota is absolute crap lately. Snowing the last couple days and today is freezing rain falling. I figured I would try to do something productive in the meantime.

Performed an Oil Change on the G8 in preparation for the never arriving spring.

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still waiting on Pedders to get their act together and send me the remaining parts for the XA Street Package. It doesn't sound like the remaining parts will be shipped until the 25th-26th so my plans of having this all installed before the drag strip is shot. Kinda blows considering I placed my order 2+ months ago.

Anyways, that didn't deter me from installing some parts on the car. I was able to wrench on the car last night with @Murlo to get the strut tower brace installed.

Here are some pictures of the process and results:

Test Fitting

Bolts trimmed and tightened

Finished Product

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the nice weather we are having in Minnesota, I decided to work on the car tonight.

Removing scrape pad to get at front lower control arm bolts

Control arm removed, will be replacing these bushings with Pedders

Removing Strut to install coilover

·
11 second all motor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to be dropping off the front control arms with DB Performance today to have the bushings pushed out, and the new Pedders front radius bushings pushed in.

I bet I could rig up some contraption to get the job done, but I'd rather just pay someone to have this piece done and over with.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.