Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys help me? I have a v8 donor with a blown motor. Top end still good. Then i have a good deal on a v6 base model. The question is what is needed for v8 swap? I know that ill need the transmission, crossmember, driveshaft, the top end of V8 engine. The computer. Possible exhaust. Do i need to get any of the engine harness or any harness for transmission? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
In lieu of doing a V6 to V8 engine swap recommend swapping the engine in the V8 with another V8 assuming that's the major issue with the V8. Alternatively, have the motor in the V8 rebuilt. If the G8 GT has other problems, then would keep it as a donor vehicle, pass on buying the V6 and keep looking for a GT. To answer your question, the process is a bit involved and for starters here's a thread... https://www.g8board.com/forums/11-lounge/45628-hazers-oreo-g8-build-v8-swap-more.html

·
every village has one
2,169 Posts
Can you clarify “good deal” on the GT, price and mileage? Might help us get a handle on what it might cost you. Are you going to do the swap yourself, or are you going to have to foot the bill for the transplant? LS3 motors are out there and an option, there are short block vendors out there with upgrade options as well?
I’m in with Pony Man on the V6 base, not as many options and the engine in that one can be troublesome as it accumulates miles. Location of your cars is important also. 10 year old northern car and ten year old western/southern car can be worlds apart in terms of what’s left.
Waiting for the right GT to come along may be your best option even if you have to travel,
but can you get us some more info to work with?

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
The good deal is on the V6 base model.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Lots of threads you can search on doing the swap on this board.
Some have done it with excellent results some, not so much.
In the long run I'd heed the above advise, find and a used 6.0L or buy a short block and build it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts