Pontiac G8 Forum banner

G8 taillight moisture revisited.......

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  GXP-G8 
#1 ·
Installed V6 tails, had moisture, carefully sealed up outside seams with silicone, work for a year or so, back again?

Anything new tried lately?????

The V8 lights never had this problem, just do not like the look

thx

#3 ·
Thanks for the possible solution.
The area that fogs up is the clear b/u light lower portion
It has a void in the construction of the lens, bad design IMHO
Drilling a hole would be a tough decision without someone actually doing it on the exact lens......

#12 ·
Did you try removing the lights and letting them sit in the sun to dry out? Then reinstall them with the battery cover off. I would do that first before drilling.

#14 ·
I've been fighting this for years. Finally got pissed off enough about it I was going to take out the tail AGAIN and dry it out with a hairdryer but this time I was going to drill a bunch of holes in the bottom to let it air out better (the factory air exchanger is TINY) and hope it lets moisture out without new water in. However this time when I removed it it was below freezing out. The seal between car body and tailight had ice around the bottom of the seal. On one side the ice went halfway up the seal and stopped in a straight line. I've had this thing off quite a few times and never saw or felt a crack in the seal, but when I moved the seal around where the ice stopped there was a slash in it right there.

Dried it out with hairdryer, gooped up crack in seal with silicone, and installed back on car this time making sure the 3 10mm nuts holding it on were nice and tight to keep that seal tight against the body. I didnt realize how much water runs off the trunk edges and pours down the back of the tailight and how important that seal is.

#17 ·
My back up lights always fogged up after rain.
I made new gaskets for the taillights and never an issue again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.