Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2008 g馃幈 with 87000 miles on the base engine. I was wondering if anybody know any ways I can get it faster. I changed the CAI already what else is it I can do?

I鈥檓 try to get at 400 horsepower out of this engine if I could....

Any input will be helpful

Premium Member
The proverbial juice isn't worth the squeeze nor are the inherent issues with the three timing chains setup. Just my $.02.

Reactions: BAS G8

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The proverbial juice isn't worth the squeeze nor are the inherent issues with the three timing chains setup. Just my $.02.
I feel like whenever the timing chains does go bad I鈥檒l just upgrade it to better ones and change the cams with it too

Premium Member
Very well.

Registered
Your going to need a power adder....nitrous...turbo...supercharger.

Cheap Fast Reliable.....pick 2 ;)

Sell it and get a GT would be my choice if I wanted to mod it.

I already have a Camaro SS so my 6 banger is just fine as a DD :)

Registered
There's nothing wrong with your idea is just highly impractical.
I don't like being a dream killer on here but as Pony Man said its just not there.
I've left my V6 bone stock, in my eyes the money spent will not produce the 400hp you want.
As mentioned if you want hp buy a GT, dependable bullet proof hp a GXP.
Headers and exhaust, Mace intake spacers and cams, larger injectors and throttle body, and a tune are about as far as you can go on our V6's. Probably left a few things out.
Super chargers or turbo's, I don't know of anybody in North America that's gone this route.
There was stuff available in Australia, depends how deep your pockets are.
Good luck with this.

Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
The ONLY way you will see 400 hp with a LY7 is with all of the above AND a supercharger. A V8(GT) would be the cheaper way to go and with less headache.

Reactions: BAS G8

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok what is a reasonable price to swap out 3.6 to a 6.0 or 6.2 motor? And would I have to change out the transmission out has well if I do I V6 swap to V8?

Premium Member
Yes. The transmission would have to changed as well.

Registered
Your better off selling the V6 and buying a GT

It has been done but the cost and time are huge.

Do a search on the forum for details.

Registered
Plenty of threads on the swap subject on this site.
Many have done the swap with various degrees of difficulty.
The swap itself is not difficult if you have the facilities and knowledge, tools and the like its wiring harnesses, ECM/TCM and tidbits that are the stumbling block.
Finding/buying a wrecked donor GT has been the best way to get parts.
Personally I'd go with the 6.2L but that's me.
If your looking to wake her up with some snap swap out the rear diff to a 3.27 or 3.45 from a Camaro, again plenty of threads on that subject on this site.

Registered
Mace Performance is one of the few that offer camshafts for the 6. 350 rwhp is easily reached NA with cam, headers and intake mods. 400 will take a blower or turbos. The ATS V reached 464hp with twin turbos.

Registered
I have my 2008 g馃幈 with 87000 miles on the base engine. I was wondering if anybody know any ways I can get it faster. I changed the CAI already what else is it I can do?

I鈥檓 try to get at 400 horsepower out of this engine if I could....

Any input will be helpful
I installed a 25 mm intake manifold insulator on mine, along with a new full exhaust and OTR cold air intake. Then I got it dyno tuned and the result was 320 hp from the 275 stock. 25MM MANIFOLD INSULATOR KIT FOR HOLDEN COMMODORE VZ VE ALLOYTEC LY7 LE0 3.6L V6 | eBay. Mace performance also makes 4 performances cams that with a tune will hopefully result in 350 hp. Those cams are designed to work with your main stock engine with no modifications required; just removed your stock upper 4 cams and replace with Mace performance cams and get it tuned.

Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
I installed a 25 mm intake manifold insulator on mine, along with a new full exhaust and OTR cold air intake. Then I got it dyno tuned and the result was 320 hp from the 275 stock.
Could I see the dyno sheet showing that? Not that I don't believe you but...lol.

A stock LY7 in a base G8 is not 275 either by the way.

Registered
Could I see the dyno sheet showing that? Not that I don't believe you but...lol.

A stock LY7 in a base G8 is not 275 either by the way.
I unfortunately no longer have my Blue G8 any longer. I lost my job a yr ago due to the pandemic to the business closing down. I was forced to sell the car and the new owner now has that dyno sheet. I didn鈥檛 make a copy of the dyno sheet to keep for myself unfortunately. I managed to find a better job paying more money and I did a search for a new G8 GT, because I love the car so much and I now own the Red one in my profile pic. I do have a pic of my base blue baby in my profile too. I am now in the process of making upgrades on this one. I installed a solo performances exhaust with high flow cats and installed a OTR intake. I will also be installing a intake insulator on this one too soon. When I can afford to get headers for it; I will get this one dyno tuned as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts