Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
I'm presuming you are complaining about the GTO's infamous rear inner tire wear & lack of room for really big tires. If you are questioning the front strut rub, no need to worry. I have a feeling that GM will be bringing over the G8 with the same sizes of tires as the Commodore. The G8 will have enough room for at least a 275 mm tire in the rear (as the HSVs use). The rear suspension was redesigned with geometry to reduce that rear camber change issue sustantially.

·
LSX Motors Rock!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had a problem with strut rub. But the strut mounts for the front would wear out real fast.

Does the G8 come with the FE2 suspension? I would hope the new G8 handles better than my old Goats did. Their suspension was way to soft for a performance car.

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
I'd imagine that the stock strut mounts won't hold up much better. Heavier car, similar front suspension design, & if you drive hard, you are gonna wear stuff out faster. I'm sure the new mounts got bigger & a little stronger, but they won't defy the laws of physics. The suspension (I'd bet) is still gonna be a little soft. It is designed as a daily driver, not a pure performance car. I can't remember what the suspension designation is. It won't matter to me. It will go from FE1, FE2, whatever to KS1.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I had strut rub. Went down to 235's. I've seen some pics of pretty big meats on the back of Commodores. Should be fun!

·
Registered
154 Posts
are you talking about the weak half-shafts? the irs was pretty weak in those cars. but you dont see too many people running slicks on irs, usually a conversion to solid works the best.

chrish

·
Old Fart - Banned
28 Posts
Pedders front strut top bush for 04/05/06 GTO = p/n 5851

Pedders front strut top bush for 2008 G8 = p/n 5851

Dunno how GM changed the OE part, but the VE owners on ls1.com.au are raving about the car _after_ they throw some money at the suspension.

·
♫♪♪♫♪
6 Posts
Thankfully I haven't had any problems with strut rub on my Goat, but I check to make sure every 6 months or so.
I remember the mags were fairly critical of the GTO's suspension, saying it was an old design. Not a suspension guru so I'll have to take their word for it.

It's good to read that the G8 is designed for wide tires.

·
GM Holden Ltd
523 Posts
the VE/G8 is a completely different chassis to the GTO/Monaro, yes they use FE2 suspension

motor is further rearward, steering is in front of the front axle, havent had a chance to drive them flat out, but all reviews are saying its a MUCH better balanced car.

combine that with a wider track and tyres, the grip should be pretty good

i think it was one of the 1st magazine reviews, said it steered better than a BMW.

·
♫♪♪♫♪
6 Posts
the VE/G8 is a completely different chassis to the GTO/Monaro, yes they use FE2 suspension

motor is further rearward, steering is in front of the front axle,
I like "front steer". It has a nice stable feel. My '86 TA has it. Don't know why it isn't more prevalent.

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
I like "front steer". It has a nice stable feel. My '86 TA has it. Don't know why it isn't more prevalent.
Don't forget: Your '86 T/A doesn't have rack & pinion steering. :D I haven't had an unstable feeling...at least after I replaced the rear springs on my GTO. The factory springs were too soft. It felt like it was shipped with a kangaroo in the trunk. :gr_jest:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm driving my second GTO. I really like the car, but I have replaced many suspension components in front and several in the rear (Pedders, Hotchkis, Koni). The stock suspension was a really poor design for the GTO.
I'm interested in the G8, but I'd like to see some detail on exactly which crappy GTO components have been switched out. Please provide details.
If GM is reading this, consider a dealer option for a "Pedders Suspension" upgrade.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm driving my second GTO. I really like the car, but I have replaced many suspension components in front and several in the rear (Pedders, Hotchkis, Koni). The stock suspension was a really poor design for the GTO.
I'm interested in the G8, but I'd like to see some detail on exactly which crappy GTO components have been switched out. Please provide details.
If GM is reading this, consider a dealer option for a "Pedders Suspension" upgrade.
All I know is that many of the testers have stated that it's the best handling Pontiac to date! That's saying something there!:driving:

·
i Actually own one...
354 Posts
My G8 handles really well for a stock car., def better than my buddies 540 bmw . The chassis and zeta platform is all new compared to the goats, and it combines the perfect amount of firmness for handeling/road performance without sacrificing ride quality...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts