Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a camaro v8 diff for my g8 but they are hard to come by in canada and it seems that getting one from the us is close to 1500 cad. Im thinking it would be cheaper to just buy a new gearset. Are there any differences between the g8 and camaro diff besides available ratios?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
For starters, G8 diff comes from ZF, Camaro is from American Axle -

Reactions: TechKnow

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Camaro Diff. is far stronger than the Holden unit. I purchased the entire Camaro rear frame from a junkyard for $350US. It came with everything except the Brembo brake parts.
Just make sure its an SS Camaro.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
215 Posts
Yes, you want to make sure it's an LSD and not an open differential.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
V6 Camaros usually don’t get the LSD. Get one from the SS V8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They changed the naming with 5th gen i guess i thought as long as it was v8 it would be good but looks like the v8 base is ss

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
LKQ online is the best source. 2010 to 2015 vary from $292 to $349 + shipping

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
Hate to be that guy, so I'll just go ahead and be that guy. A couple of years or so ago, LKQ sold a used engine under questionable pretenses at best. Discovered the deception only after unwrapping the engine. The mileage indicated on the sticker/ tag affixed to the engine mileage was significantly higher than the mileage given at the time of purchase. Sure it could have merely been a clerical error or maybe someone forgot to remove the tag from the engine. Dunno.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called lkq they only had v6 diffs and those prices are what ive seen for v6 diffs all the ss ones ive seen were 750 usd

·
Registered
743 Posts
You can get a Camaro V6 diff as long as it comes from a V6 with manual transmission. That's an LSD unit. The auto V6's had the open diff.

Edit to add more detail:
Auto V6 - 3.27 open diff
Manual V6 - 3.27 LSD
Auto V8 - 3.27 LSD
Manual V8 - 3.45 LSD

Reactions: Jcnadeau13

·
Registered
2012 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
11 Posts
I have been looking for a camaro v8 diff for my g8 but they are hard to come by in canada and it seems that getting one from the us is close to 1500 cad. Im thinking it would be cheaper to just buy a new gearset. Are there any differences between the g8 and camaro diff besides available ratios?
I got my 3.27 from eBay. It came out of a low mile 2012 camaro SS. I paid like $499 us for it. Check car-part.com I know I’ve seen Canadian wreckers list inventories before.

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
2009 G8 GT
496 Posts
Ok thanks. So 2010 -2015 has to be ss?
Correct. Stay within those parameters if you don't want to complicate things or end up with potential issues.

Also, you can check the Camaro forums For Sale sections. I found mine on Camaro5 forum out of a lower mileage '12 SS.

P.S. Word to the wise, no matter what the mileage, you should have it rebuilt by a reputable shop to freshin' it up before installation. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts