Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
thanks - and 1 question ????

Thanks for posting!

Any indication of "rev match on downshift" in the G8 GT w/the A6 trans???

Thanks!

- Ray
With a GM V8 & A6 - but no "rev match on downshift"....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great article!! Most GM US ECUs will advance timing for octane. Will the processor on the G8? If yes I'm running 94, or maybe even miking in 10% 106 octane E85. I wonder how close to maxed out the injectors are?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Great article!! Most GM US ECUs will advance timing for octane. Will the processor on the G8? If yes I'm running 94, or maybe even miking in 10% 106 octane E85. I wonder how close to maxed out the injectors are?
Actually, none of them will. If they are tuned FOR high octane then yes they will run higher timing. They dont "advance it" on thier own, unless of course you've been running horrible gas and pinged it into the low octane table. The calibration in the G8GT is setup to run on 87 octane and achieved the 361HP on 87 octane BP fuel.

Just some other notes I found interesting about our little journey.

-The fuel door, this thing is hilarious.. you push on it to unlock it and it springs open no more button. It DOES however lock when you lock the doors!

-Ride is remarkably good, even with four people in the car.

-Power is smooth and well delivered although when we romped on it we DID get some wheel hop which is pretty bad in the back seat hehe. It definately seemed better than the GTO!

-Seats, my God someone finally did it.. these seats are actually BETTER than the GTO's! I know, unheard of.. The materials are also incredibly touchy feely hehe

I'll add more as I remember but man its a pretty sweet car :D

·
Flying at low altitude
911 Posts
-The fuel door, this thing is hilarious.. you push on it to unlock it and it springs open no more button. It DOES however lock when you lock the doors!
thanks so much for the review, additional info, and great to hear about the seats being even better than the GTO's!

Regarding the fuel door, the operation you discuss is pretty standard on European cars for years, push to open and lock the doors and it locks. Only problems (minor) are that now the fuel door has an electric actuator that can wear and break (I know from experience) and 2, for women, they have to unlock their door to open the fuel door (for when they are in less than desirable neighborhoods ;) )

·
Registered
551 Posts
fuel filler

I am still ( more than a litte bit ) annoyed that
the filler is on the right side.

Virtually every gas station I have seen is set up expecting that the fuel filler will be on the left....

And in a busy station, pulling in on the ** LEFT ** side of a row of pumps - when almost every other driver is heading toward you - can be an issue...

(( sigh ))

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm I rent a lot of cars and I find them to be about half and half. ANd of the cars I've owned it's been about half and half. Most of the stations I have seen you come in the driveway and there is a row of pumps. You pick the pump on the side of your filler door. No big drama.

·
Registered
551 Posts
one more question ( V8 exhaust ? )

What were your impressions of the V8's exhaust?
Note?
Tone?
Loudness?
Inside & outside?

Thanks!
- Ray
Addicted to the distinctive, heterodyne beat of V8 exhaust . . .

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
What were your impressions of the V8's exhaust?
Note?
Tone?
Loudness?
Inside & outside?

Thanks!
- Ray
Addicted to the distinctive, heterodyne beat of V8 exhaust . . .
Note, typical V8 production nothing crazy
Tone, relatively deep
Loudness, not really unless you are in the back seat with the passthrough open LOL

Inside easily livable, outside not sure didnt hear it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am still ( more than a litte bit ) annoyed that
the filler is on the right side.

Virtually every gas station I have seen is set up expecting that the fuel filler will be on the left....

And in a busy station, pulling in on the ** LEFT ** side of a row of pumps - when almost every other driver is heading toward you - can be an issue...

(( sigh ))
Generally (since inception in Australia) Commodore have been right hand side fuelling where Ford are left hand side.

Mike

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nice article! I do however have a question.

You told us the technical aspects of the stereo but how does it SOUND? The gto's stereo looked like it would sound good on paper but it sounded like crap! I'm hoping it sounds close to the stereo in my g6. Please tell me your impressions.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Nice article! I do however have a question.

You told us the technical aspects of the stereo but how does it SOUND? The gto's stereo looked like it would sound good on paper but it sounded like crap! I'm hoping it sounds close to the stereo in my g6. Please tell me your impressions.
Sounds great, we cranked the GT's stereo up pretty damn high with no distortion.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Sounds great, we cranked the GT's stereo up pretty damn high with no distortion.

Good to hear. I wonder if we'll be able to do the "Bass Mod", and turn up the gain level on the amp?

That's what the GTO guys did, right?

21 - 40 of 114 Posts