Pontiac G8 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm wondering, would an aftermarket Bluetooth kit be easily integrated into the car? If it had a "phone" input, then an aftermarket kit from Motorola or Parrot might work.

I wonder if the Aussie BT or the OnStar uses this input on the radio that can be used with an aftermarket kit instead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking at the marketing brochure somebody posted last week, it says the target demographic is men 35-45 who may have families. I think the percentage of the target market who want the bigass spoiler is tiny, like 10% or less. I am firmly in the target demo and I don't want any part of that spoiler. Stealth is the key. :D

·
2004 GTO Owner
74 Posts
I'm wondering, would an aftermarket Bluetooth kit be easily integrated into the car? If it had a "phone" input, then an aftermarket kit from Motorola or Parrot might work.

I wonder if the Aussie BT or the OnStar uses this input on the radio that can be used with an aftermarket kit instead.
From what I heard from DY was a guess that if you disable OnStar, then you can add the Bluetooth kit. Can't have both, some kind of voice interference between the systems that GM was trying to work out. GTPrix or DY can clarify probably more than I can, or it'd turn into a very bad telephone game. But I bet someone will figure it out by May if the cars come out in March.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's a shame they added so much tacky chrome trim around the windows and grilles for the US version of this car. It really looks awful compared to the Commodore and makes the style of the car harder to work with for those of us that want to tweak it.

There's also no reason we shouldn't be getting anything the Commodore offers like the big spoiler as an option. We aren't getting the interesting colors, the spoiler, or the manual transmission on a performance car, but they thought it would be important to add cylinder deactivation? Why on Earth do they think people in the market for a V8 muscle car have fuel economy as a high priority? It's not or we would be buying something else.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am still ( more than a litte bit ) annoyed that
the filler is on the right side.

Virtually every gas station I have seen is set up expecting that the fuel filler will be on the left....

And in a busy station, pulling in on the ** LEFT ** side of a row of pumps - when almost every other driver is heading toward you - can be an issue...

(( sigh ))
I drive a GTO and believe me it is not an issue, in fact you generally get a spot much faster than everyone else that has to fill on the driver's side. You also don't whack your door on anything as you're getting out.

·
Cynical A$$hole
2,353 Posts
Thanks for the write up DY. I have a question and I don't recall seeing any info on it anywhere else, does the Information Screen have an option for MPH like our GTOs have? I know alot of GP owners love their HUD and since the G8 won't be getting one I know this feature would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks for the write up DY. I have a question and I don't recall seeing any info on it anywhere else, does the Information Screen have an option for MPH like our GTOs have? I know alot of GP owners love their HUD and since the G8 won't be getting one I know this feature would be helpful.
Sorry, I do not recall all the screens selections. I recall it being very similar to the GTO but the tire pressure was new. I was taking note and photos of new things that caught my eye.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. The VE Commodores do show KPH and also Nav directions (similar to the HUD in the GP).

Chip

·
Registered
373 Posts
The DIC will display OnStar turn by turn directions.
Thanks. That will help bridge the gap a little since no Nav is currently available.

BTW, great writeup. I appreciate the real info you and CW have been able to provide, especially some insight into the NAV, Bluetooth, and XM issues. I was wondering if you could provide some additional details around the NAV issues (is it positioning, software lockout on motion, etc.?). While it appears that Pontiac has an interest in providing all of those items in an integrated package, it looks as though they (Pontiac) were involved too late in the design cycle or Holden was not familiar with some of the US laws. I know I heard that very thing on the lack of a HUD (certain design parameters had already been locked in by the time Pontiac was asking about a HUD).

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The odd part about it .... it's not a law, just a suggestion. No OEM has implemented a system against the suggestion yet. Fines or forcing the suggestion into a law is not worth it at this point. I think that is why they worked so hard to integrate the turn by turn directions.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I guess my question may have been more about what part is not complying with the suggestion. I ask because it seems from my reading that the NHTSA guidelines/suggestions (specifically thought on the "15 second" rule) reflect not only US thought but European and Japanese suggestions/guidelines/research. I think that was why I was initially surprised to hear no Nav because of guidelines. SAE seemed to internationally have common thought on this that should have Holden much more in sync with the NHTSA guidelines.

·
Registered
373 Posts
OK. Thanks for that bit of info.

I would be interested about what you find out about us (consumers) being able to get the Holden unit and receiving US data maps.

Also, I saw this and found it interesting: http://www.cobracaralarms.com.au/Text/1146719020816-7917/Satellite-Navigation

Look for the one for Holden. Not sure if the pieces are there since we will not have a NAV button.

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
I drive a GTO and believe me it is not an issue, in fact you generally get a spot much faster than everyone else that has to fill on the driver's side. You also don't whack your door on anything as you're getting out.
You know, I never thought about the door ding scenario. I suppose which side of the car the gas door is on is no bother for GTO owner/former owners. :thumbsup:

·
Cynical A$$hole
2,353 Posts
Sorry, I do not recall all the screens selections. I recall it being very similar to the GTO but the tire pressure was new. I was taking note and photos of new things that caught my eye.
Yeah, if it were me I probably wouldn't have bothered to look either. Too much other new stuff going on. :)

Although I did find this. At least the SSV has it so there IS a possibility that the G8 will have it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Man, I have been watching this car since I first heard about it and now I am not so sure. I love the engine and the look, but how does Pontiac expect to compete with the German/Japanese sedans without offering simple Nav and Bluetooth????? I understand they are trying to milk the OnStar thing, but this is ridiculous........

61 - 80 of 114 Posts