Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past weekend there was a pretty big car show here in Columbus, OH. I shine up my PBM GT and pile the family in, do the slow roll in 1st gear, turn some heads. Was a good show, about 1000 entries in a bunch of categories, even a "Special Vehicle Tent" with a couple McLaren's and even a Bugatti Chiron. I go over to the Pontiac section, and there's a handful of '65-67 GTO's, some "Bandit" era TA's, some late 80's Firebirds... and that's it. Not a single G8.

Rewind a couple years ago, there was an all-Pontiac car show in town. There were about 200 cars and a wider array of Pontiacs (a mint old Bonneville station wagon with 5500 original miles and all original everything except tires, a bunch of Fieros, Firebirds and TA's covering the whole range of model years)... but not a single G8.

I've been to probably 6 car shows in the past 2 years, and have never seen a G8 at any of them.

My first question, of course, is... why?

My second question is this, and I know it's purely opinion: When I get older (as in: 20 years from now), I want to take my G8 to shows. So what would be better: fully decked out, custom paint, lots of flash under the hood, etc... or pristine condition, preserved stock? I've seen both types win. Part of me wants to preserve this car as-is, the other part of me wants to go big.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have noticed this as well. Went to a car show with a friend of mine and he was the only newest gen GTO and I was the only G8. I think a lot of it is that they just aren't collector status or "pure" Pontiac for some people with the Holden legacy attached. He went to Pontiacs in Pigeon Forge and said it was much the same of only older models for the most part. I think the GTO and G8 and under appreciated for what they are due to lack of marketing when they were out and being the last good models Pontiac made. I for one think the G8 looks better than the Holden equivalent body panel wise (HSV excluded).

I can appreciate people who do leave a car bone stock forever as far as preserving value, show car status, etc. but I bought mine to be a driver's car. Plan to keep the mods subtle/tasteful just to make it more of a backroad cruiser, so kind of in the middle. I love driving it too much to be a show car anyways with rock chips.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I've taken my G8 over to a local car show, and the car barely got any looks, so I stopped going.
In some cases there were no other Pontiacs there at all, if there were I'd try to park with them.
Once in a blue moon someone would know of the Holden/Pontiac connection and stop and comment otherwise....Crickets.
Mines bone stock, I have no intentions of moding it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My first question, of course, is... why?
Because nobody cares.

My second question is this, and I know it's purely opinion: When I get older (as in: 20 years from now), I want to take my G8 to shows. So what would be better: fully decked out, custom paint, lots of flash under the hood, etc... or pristine condition, preserved stock? I've seen both types win. Part of me wants to preserve this car as-is, the other part of me wants to go big.
It won't matter, because nobody cares.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's what I don't get: If no one cares, then what is driving the Haggerty's valuation? Just the strength of the G8 enthusiast market?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have noticed this as well. Went to a car show with a friend of mine and he was the only newest gen GTO and I was the only G8. I think a lot of it is that they just aren't collector status or "pure" Pontiac for some people with the Holden legacy attached. He went to Pontiacs in Pigeon Forge and said it was much the same of only older models for the most part. I think the GTO and G8 and under appreciated for what they are due to lack of marketing when they were out and being the last good models Pontiac made. I for one think the G8 looks better than the Holden equivalent body panel wise (HSV excluded).

I can appreciate people who do leave a car bone stock forever as far as preserving value, show car status, etc. but I bought mine to be a driver's car. Plan to keep the mods subtle/tasteful just to make it more of a backroad cruiser, so kind of in the middle. I love driving it too much to be a show car anyways with rock chips.
Best advice that anyone here can give you is: "Do what makes you happy." If you wanna trick it out, then go for it. If you want to keep it stock to preserve the history you can do it too. Don't lose any sleep over the historic/collector appeal.

Because nobody cares.

Sad but very true. GTO and G8 are in a tough spot, both collector wise and show wise. The issue is that to hardcore Pontiac fans, they will always be Holdens pretending to be Pontiacs. And to general car lovers they are going to be known as those two sleeper cars Pontiac made before going belly up.

Neither of the two cars, no matter how good, ever really impressed the masses. While they've had good performance, they both looked terribly mundane. I mean my car always gets mistaken for either GTO or a G6 FFS. Aside from the hood and the vailance, the car could of easily been an impala. They really should of made HSV body the standard for both, and they would of sold/captured the hears of youth. But no...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Not sure what the deal is in your state, but my G8 gets LOTS of attention at shows.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Best advice that anyone here can give you is: "Do what makes you happy." If you wanna trick it out, then go for it. If you want to keep it stock to preserve the history you can do it too. Don't lose any sleep over the historic/collector appeal.

Sad but very true. GTO and G8 are in a tough spot, both collector wise and show wise. The issue is that to hardcore Pontiac fans, they will always be Holdens pretending to be Pontiacs. And to general car lovers they are going to be known as those two sleeper cars Pontiac made before going belly up.

Neither of the two cars, no matter how good, ever really impressed the masses. While they've had good performance, they both looked terribly mundane. I mean my car always gets mistaken for either GTO or a G6 FFS. Aside from the hood and the vailance, the car could of easily been an impala. They really should of made HSV body the standard for both, and they would of sold/captured the hears of youth. But no...
Agreed. Building mine to be how I want it, not to impress everyone else. I did get compliments on it from a former owner at a show last weekend. Then he showed me his Jaguar XKR which is what replaced it lol.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Here's what I don't get: If no one cares, then what is driving the Haggerty's valuation? Just the strength of the G8 enthusiast market?
The G8 GXP's driving Haggerty's valuation mostly because of they're rarity due to low production numbers.
If there is a G8 enthusiast market it is miniscule IMHO.
These cars are 10 years old now, its a niche auto for those who may know about its story but in most cases it just floats some ones boat as basis transportation.
Prices most cases have dropped so much for GT's and especially the Base its an entry level used car for many first time buyers.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
1st point I think has to do a little with the fact that the G8 is 11 years old. This is not old enough to be old school cool and not new enough for people to want to check it out. In time it'll fall into that old school cool category.

Part 2 I would say neither, but that's just my opinion. I would do some tasteful mods. Maybe some nice wheels, a sharksfin antenna, maybe lowered slightly (however I like the stock stance), maybe a unique spoiler or diffuser, but i'd be careful to not go too crazy with appearance. In my opinion you can go full holden or really not at all. Anything to the engine and exhaust that isn't too obnoxious. Intake, catback and tune minimum. But you can add a nice cam, headers and even a blower and still have a real unique and sweet ride.

my .02

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I've taken my G8 over to a local car show, and the car barely got any looks, so I stopped going.
In some cases there were no other Pontiacs there at all, if there were I'd try to park with them.
Once in a blue moon someone would know of the Holden/Pontiac connection and stop and comment otherwise....Crickets.
Mines bone stock, I have no intentions of moding it.
in fairness, while the stock g8 is a unique and well designed car... most don't go to a car show to see stock cars, especially those that were heavy in the rental car fleet. Unless it's a supercar, stock really isn't that cool.

Because nobody cares.

geez man

·
Registered
89 Posts
1st point I think has to do a little with the fact that the G8 is 11 years old. This is not old enough to be old school cool and not new enough for people to want to check it out. In time it'll fall into that old school cool category.

Part 2 I would say neither, but that's just my opinion. I would do some tasteful mods. Maybe some nice wheels, a sharksfin antenna, maybe lowered slightly (however I like the stock stance), maybe a unique spoiler or diffuser, but i'd be careful to not go too crazy with appearance. In my opinion you can go full holden or really not at all. Anything to the engine and exhaust that isn't too obnoxious. Intake, catback and tune minimum. But you can add a nice cam, headers and even a blower and still have a real unique and sweet ride.

my .02
I agree 100%. G8 isn't old enough to get the "Classic" title yet. As with collector car markets, you get there once the generation of ppl who were young and saw G8 and wanted one, finally reach the age where they can get it on a whim for no other reason other than just to get one. Classic car market is driven by nostalgia, I'd say G8 is about 10-20 years away from getting there.

If you look at the market right now, Buick Gran National whom no one cared about since it looked like typical 80's car, now is a collectors item going up in value like crazy. 90's cars are JUST now starting to appreciate in value. Late 00's cars around this time have just started to bottom out on their depreciated value, and eventually will go up in price. (Depending on a few factors.)

To get the collectors price tag the car has to be: 1) Rare and 2) Desirable. However due to almost no real marketing (ex: GT-R became big from all the GT games, and Supra became big from F&F movie) most people even during 08-09 weren't all that aware of G8's existence. It's super tame appearance didn't help either.

And since Pontiac threw the G series cars at all rental agencies, it kind of hurt the image of the G series as the "rental cars". Combined with the fact that it's sibling G series cars were all notorious "S%#T" cars. Nostalgic appeal will not start to show at-least until you stop seeing all lower G cars on the road, and ppl forget about them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd say G8 is about 10-20 years away from getting there.
So... about the time I'll be ready to start showing. :grin2:

If you look at the market right now, Buick Gran National whom no one cared about since it looked like typical 80's car, now is a collectors item going up in value like crazy.
Oh yeah, there were about half a dozen Grand Nationals there on Saturday. Funny thing: the guy I bought it from was a real gearhead. Restored Willies in his spare time. Said he thought the G8 would be "the next Grand National."

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Our cars are rare. Add to that a lot of people who aren't lovers of their car, that won't bother to go.

I used to see g8s more frequently. Now if I do. Its generally a women toting around her kids. Haven't done a show in a while but the last time I did ,i was the only g8.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Show attention of G8s

Not sure what the deal is in your state, but my G8 gets LOTS of attention at shows.
I, too, get a lot of attention at shows and cruise-ins with my 2008 IOM GT. It has every option that was available for the 2008 model, along with some select available accessories such as the Pontiac logo floormats and the formed trunk mat that is no where to be found anymore. Also has a full size spare and jack set. Tinted windows were added by the previous owner who took exceptional care of the car, performing maintenance of items not even required by GM. I have a 3 ring binder full of receipts and records of maintenance along with introductory DVDs used by the dealers for training purposes for sales people and the dealer brochure for the cars and original invoice. Received a trophy for Best Orphan at one show. But, aside from that, there are a few people among the general public that know these cars as well as some law enforcement people who have from time to time asked if my car was for sale (not this IOM one, but a 2009 PBM I also own). They are aware of the performance capabilities of the G8 GTs and would like to have one as a personal vehicle. Recently, as well as in the past, I've had people at gas stations come over to comment on the car and remark about the performance capability.

So, whether you mod them or choose to keep them stock for posterity, continue to enjoy them while you can. I personally will retain mine in stock form. I think this car is one of the BEST Pontiacs ever and I have had many over the years starting back in 1962 with a 1961 Ventura 2 door hardtop, tri-power, 4 speed with 425A 389 engine.

Keep the faith!

grandpop09

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine gets a few looks but most people don't know what it is - they recognize that it's a performance car but can't place the brand. They're pretty rare around these parts. When I pulled into the pits of a club auto-x last week at least 3 guys pointed at it and said 'look, a Holden!', so some people know what's up.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I really agree with this Subtle/Tasteful approach. But from a driveline approach want more out of it than a stock car and finally what good is a car if you cannot drive it. I no longer daily drive mine but did for the first 6 years. I think of at as a Show/Go/Driver. And yes that means you have to live with stone chips, dings from ice that came flying off the top of a semi and the typical door dings even when you try to park away from everyone else. See signature for my approach.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And yes that means you have to live with stone chips, dings from ice that came flying off the top of a semi and the typical door dings even when you try to park away from everyone else.
Waxed mine a couple days ago and MAN the chips and whatnot are terrible. I think GM did a p!55-poor job with the paint on these cars. And I know The General is (or at least WAS) capable of better. My '94 Saturn had beautiful paint, way better than my '04 Grand Prix or my G8.

I'd definitely have to get it painted (in addition to fixing up some other ugliness like the weatherstripping) before taking it to a show. Fortunately, I know a guy that does primo work. And after doing his website for him, he owes me. :p Here's his site, if anyone is interested in resto work. He's one of the best. http://brownsresto.com

1 - 20 of 40 Posts