Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone Hard Wired one of these to your G8?

Mine is already done w/an aftermarket kit, but when doing so I LOST the Traffic and Weather features b/c apparently they are somehow tied to the OEM Cigarette Lighter Plug...

So...I am bringing the car back to the Audio place to have them cut the end off of the OEM plug and hardwire that hoping it works as advertised....otherise I miss out on all those features.

I was also a little disapointed to be told from Garmin that there was NO WAY to stream the Audio from the Garmin to the Car's speakers somehow...so, like a Factory NAV, when the Garmin chic talks, she would come through the car's speakers and always be heard.....

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have my tomtom hardwired...done 3 other cars as well...you DONT WANT TO HACK THE CLA OFF!!! If you hard wire after the CLA you will subject your gps to a full 12V charge...might blow it out....my way isn't the safest either...but its worked for me so far...if you can, get them to OPEN the CLA up and solder wires into the corresponding leads of the CLA...thrn take those 2 wires and tap the line going to one of the CLA recepticals...there's a converter built into your CLA that steps the 12V output down to the required voltage needed to powrr your device....I ran mine off of the wires powering the CLA receptical in the console box...works like a charm...just my two cents...good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The 3590 has external speaker on the mount. And you can hardwire that into the car. Also, traffic receiver and the power was part of Garmin power cable probably in the last 12 years and there is no issues with hardwiring it into the car without losing your traffic data. In fact, we even sell plug and play cable.
gps to g8 pnp-wire

·
Registered
86 Posts
This may be slightly off topic but have you seen G8partsdirect.com and the mounting hardware for the nav unit above the head unit? If you're a GPS user (other than smart phones), this may be an interesting mod.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess I'm still in the "dark ages" of gps nav LOL! The meathod I described and currently use is for the lower end type stuff.."buy a tom tom and get lifetime updates for 100 bux" type of gps stuff...obviously I need to do more research but in the end I hope everything works out :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hah! No offense intended. I'm just an iPhone map user. Here's what I was referring to. Looks pretty good!!

·
every village has one
2,380 Posts
This may be slightly off topic but have you seen G8partsdirect.com and the mounting hardware for the nav unit above the head unit? If you're a GPS user (other than smart phones), this may be an interesting mod.
Could you post up a link to this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No sir none taken but I do like the look of what you speak of....to be honest I hadn't even thought about that....then again I hadn't seen it untill you posted it either haha! No harm no foul and now this means I must save more money because I am VERY interested in that look....its very clean indeed! My ONLY issue at this point is that this is where I stow my phone and smokes while driving...but for THAT look...I'm almost 100% sure that my phablet and bad habbit can find a new home...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have my tomtom hardwired...done 3 other cars as well...you DONT WANT TO HACK THE CLA OFF!!! If you hard wire after the CLA you will subject your gps to a full 12V charge...might blow it out....my way isn't the safest either...but its worked for me so far...if you can, get them to OPEN the CLA up and solder wires into the corresponding leads of the CLA...thrn take those 2 wires and tap the line going to one of the CLA recepticals...there's a converter built into your CLA that steps the 12V output down to the required voltage needed to powrr your device....I ran mine off of the wires powering the CLA receptical in the console box...works like a charm...just my two cents...good luck

Thanks for the warning my man. My Garmin 3590 IS currently hardwired to the car directly, but via an aftermarket KIT that does NOT have whatever the heck needs to be in the guts of the wiring so that the Garmin unit still picks up the Traffic and Weather Alerts that came Free w/the unit for the lifetime of the unit. I believe there is an inline fuse in the Hardwire Kit I have now...so it's protected from the straight 12V shot you're talking about. I WILL most definitely talk to the shop today b/f going through this part of their punch list now.

The 3590 has external speaker on the mount. And you can hardwire that into the car. Also, traffic receiver and the power was part of Garmin power cable probably in the last 12 years and there is no issues with hardwiring it into the car without losing your traffic data. In fact, we even sell plug and play cable.
gps to g8 pnp-wire
Dammit...why did I not know about the Plug N Play Unit....Ok, I see your plug does have the female end for the Garmin unit....I may be in touch on that if I can't get this all done nice and neat like that today.

PS...Got your black out trim installed a few weeks ago and LOVE IT!!!

I have looked at that from the vender right above you, but...very expensive for what it is...and it will not fit the newer (read larger units like mine without mods) and I would lose the storage area for my sunglasses....which for some #$%^& reason most GM vehicle do NOT have....lol

I guess I'm still in the "dark ages" of gps nav LOL! The meathod I described and currently use is for the lower end type stuff.."buy a tom tom and get lifetime updates for 100 bux" type of gps stuff...obviously I need to do more research but in the end I hope everything works out :)
No worries man. :)

Hah! No offense intended. I'm just an iPhone map user. Here's what I was referring to. Looks pretty good!!

Yep, looks good...but just was not what I ended up going with and I also want the NAV unit to be able to tilt towards me.:boink:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They installed mine and I now HAVE my traffic features back...we.ather too...which is sweet so I am happy with that. No one at JHP or on here (PM sent after the post on this thread) ever got back to me on how to wire in the cradle's speaker to the car's speakers so that part was not done...but 1/2 way there

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unfortunately the speaker part is kinna beyond my relm as my current set up has its own speaker...does the cratel have its own speaker also? Congrats on getting your features back btw! Hopefully someone with a substatial amount of knowledge on the audio side of the house will be able to help out!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately the speaker part is kinna beyond my relm as my current set up has its own speaker...does the cratel have its own speaker also? Congrats on getting your features back btw! Hopefully someone with a substatial amount of knowledge on the audio side of the house will be able to help out!

According to Monaro JHP (PM sent, but never replied to) above the cradle the 3590 Garmin comes with and mounts to has a speaker you can hard wire to the car...but Geoff at JHP direct in AU has NO clue how to do it....and neither did my guys....so don't feel bad if you don't. ha ha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.