Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When General Motor's first submitted it's viability plan to the Obama Administration, Saab, Hummer and Saturn were put on notice, while other brands like Pontiac and GMC (as well as Chevy, Buick and Cadillac) were guaranteed to stay on.

There are no guarantees in an economy like this, however, and so both Pontiac and GMC may be on the chopping block after all - this according to a Bloomberg report that cites unnamed sources involved in GM's talks with the Obama Administration's automotive task force.

One source stated that while no decisions are final, if either one of the two are to survive the GMC brand is favored - which is expected as it is GM's second best-selling brand after Chevrolet.

"We are continuing to assess our global operations, brand portfolio and nameplates, and will take further actions to more aggressively restructure our business," said GM spokesperson Renee Rashid-Merem. "It's premature to comment on what those actions could entail."

The Pontiac brand emerged in in 1926 and posted its best U.S. sales year in 1978 with 896,980 units sold. Last year the brand sold just 267,348 vehicles, a decline of 25 percent over 2007,

GMC's history dates back to 1902 when brothers Max and Morris Grabowsky sold their first vehicle. What then became the Rapid Motor Vehicle Co. was sold to GM in 1912 and in 1915 GMC produced its first light-duty pickup. GMC's U.S. sales fell 26 percent last year to 376,996 units.

The Obama administration has given General Motors a June 1st deadline to come up with a viable plan to solve its financial woes or face bankruptcy.

More: General Motors May Cut Pontiac and GMC After All on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
631 Posts
No need to worry too much about this....

Just more rumors.

From automotive news

GM’s Mark LaNeve: GMC reports are "unfounded, unsubstantiated and untrue."
DETROIT -- A senior General Motors executive today denied reports that President Barack Obama's automotive task force has pressured the automaker to dump GMC and Pontiac.
Company sales chief Mark LaNeve also denied rumors that GM plans to terminate the franchise agreements of poorly performing dealers before June 1 to accelerate its dealership consolidation campaign.
"The strategy we laid out for you [in February] is still the strategy," LaNeve, GM's vice president of vehicle sales, service and marketing, said today in an interview with Automotive News.
"Are we working it, tweaking it, examining every aspect of it? Yes, but nothing has changed with our strategy," he said. Reports that "GMC is going away are just unfounded, unsubstantiated and untrue," LaNeve said.
In a Feb. 17 report to the U.S. Treasury Department, GM said it planned to go to market with four core brands: Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. Pontiac would remain as a much smaller brand. GM is trying to sell Hummer, Saab and Saturn.
And that is still the plan, LaNeve said. "They're not pressuring us to give up on anything," he said. "Buick and GMC are very profitable brands, and we have plans to make them even more profitable." ...
http://ebm.e.ccialerts.com/c/tag/hBJ55slAG-rD9AqcpPBAdXjL4WB/[email protected]&RAF_TRACK=

·
PROCHARGED!
1,879 Posts
To: All GM Dealers (U.S.)

In line with our commitment to be as transparent as possible during GM’s restructuring process, I’d like to invite you and your dealership teams to listen to an important update that will be given to the U.S. media by GM President and CEO Fritz Henderson on Friday, April 17 at 10:15 a.m. EDT, via a conference call.

During an approximately 45-minute session, Fritz will provide a perspective on GM’s situation, decisions and actions relative to GM’s Viability Plan. Following his remarks, questions will be taken from the media only. (Note: GM Dealers and Field personnel on the call will have listen-only capability.)

As we anticipate a high volume of calls, we recommend you dial in 10 minutes before the start time.

The call-in numbers are:

o U.S.: 888-423-3281
o International: 612-332-0819

No access code is required; just ask for the General Motors media conference.

Should there be any additional information, we will make it available on GlobalConnect and other appropriate communications mechanisms.

Sincerely,

Mark LaNeve

GM North America Vice President

Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing

Sample

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
To: All GM Dealers (U.S.)

In line with our commitment to be as transparent as possible during GM’s restructuring process, I’d like to invite you and your dealership teams to listen to an important update that will be given to the U.S. media by GM President and CEO Fritz Henderson on Friday, April 17 at 10:15 a.m. EDT, via a conference call.

During an approximately 45-minute session, Fritz will provide a perspective on GM’s situation, decisions and actions relative to GM’s Viability Plan. Following his remarks, questions will be taken from the media only. (Note: GM Dealers and Field personnel on the call will have listen-only capability.)

As we anticipate a high volume of calls, we recommend you dial in 10 minutes before the start time.

The call-in numbers are:

o U.S.: 888-423-3281
o International: 612-332-0819

No access code is required; just ask for the General Motors media conference.

Should there be any additional information, we will make it available on GlobalConnect and other appropriate communications mechanisms.

Sincerely,

Mark LaNeve

GM North America Vice President

Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing

Sample
OK, so call and ask the big questions (if they aren't addressed by Fritz), 1) Is GM going to keep Pontiac or not? and 2) If not, how long will it continue before termination? Two questions, end all the speculation and rumors.:wink2::pir_flag:

·
Registered
491 Posts
They can cut the G3, G5 AND g6 and I wouldn't care. Keep the G8!:driving:
The Solstice looks great, but needs to lose a little weight and and tighten up the handling.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Here is a report from the conference call this morning. Fritz is calling Pontiac a core brand now.....

Friday, April 17, 2009
GM CEO Warns Bankruptcy More Probable

Chief Executive Fritz Henderson said on Friday the automaker could still restructure out of court, but warned it was more probable GM may need to seek bankruptcy protection to complete that process.

Henderson said the automaker faced no pressure from the U.S. autos task force to make a decision on that front. GM still prefers to restructure outside bankruptcy, but would be ready to file for court protection if necessary, he said.

Henderson also said the automaker still planned to stick to its four core brands that include Chevrolet, Cadillac, Pontiac and GMC, but was examining all elements of its brand strategy.

He called reports that GM would be dropping one of the core brands "speculation."

In the first of what he said would be regular conference calls, Henderson said GM's work with the U.S. Treasury has been like a private equity due diligence process.

GM has been operating under U.S. government emergency aid and was told in late March by the U.S. autos task force that it would have to dig deeper and move far faster in its turnaround plan for that aid, and additional support to come through.

If the automaker fails to complete its turnaround, which includes reaching agreements to make deep reductions in some $28 billion of unsecured debt as well as agreements to cut labor costs and rework the funding of a union healthcare trust, the automaker could be forced into bankruptcy.

In wide-ranging remarks, Henderson said the automaker has reached out to more than six potential investors for its European Opel brand, including financial and industrial parties.

Henderson, who became CEO when the Obama administration ousted his mentor and predecessor Rick Wagoner, oversees a company that posted $82 billion of losses since 2005.

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Alexander Haig
1,858 Posts
Buick may be BIG in China, but as we have not evcen heard a peep here concerning Holden my guess is that the game plan for use of US dollars is focusing on GMNA, not GMGlobal. And in that respect, as I have seen continually, for eth first 3 months of 2009 Pontiac as a brand has sold still better than 90% of all vehicles sold by Cadillac and Buick combined!!!!!!(United States only). If you remove light trucks from the equation (Torrent, Enclave, SRX and Escalade (x3)) then Pontiac still continues to outsell ( domestic cars) the combined sales of Buick and Cadillac. For either of them to sell more than Pontiac will involve not just a deletion of models within the Pontiac brand but also a major increase in sales by those other core brands.

I missed the conference call this AM but there is a repeat this PM. And a video posted of it here

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't even care if they cut Pontiac now.... I already have the Pontiac I've always dreamed of...
Yeah.. cut pontiac - I think I need to look for an '09 GXP to replace my 1 year old, 12,000 mile GT. Might be the last time I can!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Pontiac-Buick-GMC is essentially considered 1 brand and is in the eyes or GM a "Core Brand" If any dealers of any indivial sector of these 3 entities get closed it will be the small standalone ones.

Like grandpa's Buick dealer in east bumblehut wherever. These dealers will be closed, boughtout, eliminated.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts