Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Administrator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As the saying goes, "It's all over but the crying." Edmunds is reporting that their source inside General Motors has let slip that the Pontiac brand will officially be eliminated. The announcement is expected to be made next Monday as a part of a more thorough reorganization of the struggling automaker.

General Motors PR rep Tom Wilkinson told Edmunds that he could not share any information but that media should keep an eye on the company's news website for updates.

Rumors have circulated since the initial stages of GM's viability plan that both Pontiac and GMC would be cut and it looks like the Pontiac rumors may finally be true - despite GM's continued insistence that the brand is safe.

Pontiac is well-known as the most exciting of GM's brands with cars like the GTO, Firebird, Grand Prix (GTP) and now the G8 achieving iconic status.

The loss of the brand might be a necessary evil for General Motors but it could also come back to haunt them if another manufacturer purchased the name.

More: General Motors to Eliminate Pontiac Brand on Monday on AutoGuide.com

·
PROCHARGED!
1,879 Posts
:The_Villagers::The_Villagers::The_Villagers:

eh. It is what it is. If thats what they choose, thats what will happen.
I cant believe they are gonna attempt to sell Saturn Hummer and SAAB, yet they just off Pontiac? Why not sell it too?

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
For some reason i saw it coming. Pontiac is finally starting to get their mojo back, and just as they do, theyre on their "death bed".

We attack at dawn.:The_Villagers::The_Villagers::The_Villagers:

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Maybe I'm still in a state of denial, but I just don't see this happening as abruptly as everyone fears. Even if the announcement comes out Monday, I suspect this will be a gradual process over the next 1 to 3 years, just like with Oldsmobile. They simply will eliminate each model (or transfer it to a different division perhaps) one at a time until there is no more. They can't just shut everything down over night. I feel like I will still be able to buy a new 2010 G8 GXP next spring even if Pontiac is killed off. As long as I can get my Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, I will be fine for the next 7 to 10 years. The trauma for me will come the next time I need to buy a new car and can't turn to Pontiac as an option first. That will hurt. I am a diehard Pontiac fan, and always will be. My family have owned well over 50 Pontiacs since the '50s (my parents, siblings, and myself currently have 9 in our "stables"), and they have always served us well. I hope these reports are only rumors, and that Pontiac will at least maintain it's niche status. If not, I will always blame their death on Obama and his board of idiots!

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Ummm he wasn't the one residing over the nation when it took a nose dive, bud.
But he and his gang were the ones that gave GM the ultimatum.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Maybe I'm still in a state of denial, but I just don't see this happening as abruptly as everyone fears. Even if the announcement comes out Monday, I suspect this will be a gradual process over the next 1 to 3 years, just like with Oldsmobile. They simply will eliminate each model (or transfer it to a different division perhaps) one at a time until there is no more. They can't just shut everything down over night. I feel like I will still be able to buy a new 2010 G8 GXP next spring even if Pontiac is killed off. As long as I can get my Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, I will be fine for the next 7 to 10 years. The trauma for me will come the next time I need to buy a new car and can't turn to Pontiac as an option first. That will hurt. I am a diehard Pontiac fan, and always will be. My family have owned well over 50 Pontiacs since the '50s (my parents, siblings, and myself currently have 9 in our "stables"), and they have always served us well. I hope these reports are only rumors, and that Pontiac will at least maintain it's niche status. If not, I will always blame their death on Obama and his board of idiots!
This message totally hits it on the head. I have my G8 now, so I'm happy. But what happens when it is time to buy my next car? I always used to look to Pontiac first (and they always had something for me), so now what??

·
Registered
18 Posts
neither was W when he took office, those problems incurred because of "the past 8 years of Clinton" :slap:
Never inferred it was W, I agree it's some from Clinton. Another part being the yen finally "updated" to it's true value, band aid fixes to our economy from the gov for the last 20yrs., and the two front war we are in now (with it's massive $ contracts to KBR & RMS) certainly does not help either.

But he and his gang were the ones that gave GM the ultimatum.
I'm sorry, but I don't see a problem with giving an ultimatum to tighten GM up. If GM as a whole takes a dive, there go the tax dollar bailout dollars as well.

Let history reflect that many factors caused the death of Pontiac, and that Obama is one of those factors. We can debate how much of a factor, but he clearly is a factor.
Never said he wasn't. I don't see a problem with making GM wisen up their finances. I'm sad to see Pontiac go, but GM had too many platforms across too many brands. All of which closely resembled each other.

·
Registered
63 Posts
WOOHOO i beat the admins!!

Sucks..I have been depressed all day!
Same here, I didn't sleep well last night after I heard this. I love my G8, but lately, up until last night I was kicking myself, about buying it during the resection and the possibility of me loosening my job weighed heavily on my mind. Now I'm really glad I did.

·
GOT BOOST?
516 Posts
:The_Villagers::The_Villagers::The_Villagers:

eh. It is what it is. If thats what they choose, thats what will happen.
I cant believe they are gonna attempt to sell Saturn Hummer and SAAB, yet they just off Pontiac? Why not sell it too?

Because if they dont sell Pontiac then there is a the potential for them to bring it back in the future.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't get why some are blaming GW or Obama, when it's been GM's and Pontiac's fault for producing crappy and unreliable cars for the last 30years, an inefficient manufacturing process, a over bloated sales channel and unrealistic UAW,CAW contracts. Come on people, put blame were blame is due!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ummm he wasn't the one residing over the nation when it took a nose dive, bud.
BINGO!! It's on the guy who's name is the same as my favorite part of a woman's body... whoop :yumyum:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
This message totally hits it on the head. I have my G8 now, so I'm happy. But what happens when it is time to buy my next car? I always used to look to Pontiac first (and they always had something for me), so now what??
Just walk over to the Buick lot and look for the Grand National or GNX... it'll be there... that's what will happen... yes it will... :driving:

·
Registered
109 Posts
NOOO We Cannot

Time to protest!
do that! CNN and MSNBC will classify us as a bunch of illiterate Fox News Supporting, American Legion Dangerous Militia Rightest!! and Homeland Security Boss NeoPolitan Ice Cream will be knocking at our door. :judge::driving::judge:

1 - 20 of 246 Posts