Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my G8 I also pruchased the extended powertrain warranty. Not knowing that all the stuff I wanted to do to it could possibly void my warranty(headers, cam, etc.)
Well I think I have a lifter tick. It makes a ticking sound on cold start, sometimes for 5 seconds, sometimes for 10 minutes. I know this has been covered under warranty before. So, for those of you that have had it repaired,

What did you bring to the dealer as proof that it is a problem with the G8's?
(I am leaving my car there overnight so they can hear it in the morning)
How long did the repair take?
Have you had any problems since the repair?

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I too have subtle intermittent lifter tick on start up. Depending upon how long the car has sat and temperature it can last 10 seconds to 10 minutes, just like you said. After the engine has warmed up it fades away to nothing at all. It's been doing this for several years, and my G8 runs stronger now than it ever has.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that just because you hear some ticking doesn't mean your lifters are bad or they are going to fail. I talked to my service guy at my local dealership and he said that they have done a few lifter replacements on G8s but that they were catastrophic failures where engine parts where chewed up, nothing for just a tick.

If you have the extended warranty I don't think it would hurt to stop by and have a tech take a look/listen. I just can't imagine a dealership eating that kind of repair cost when nothing has failed or can proven that it will. Also, I wouldn't want to leave my G8 at a dealership for any more of an extended period of time than I would have to.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I didn't have any issues getting mine fixed. Didn't have to show them anything. It is a known\common issue. Mine was tapping fairly loudly though and was quite obvious. The time it takes will depend on how quick they can get parts but mine was done and back in a week

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I wouldn't want to leave my G8 at a dealership for any more of an extended period of time than I would have to.
This ^
Very true. But I trust the guys at the dealer I go to. I have been going to them for years now. Any other dealer is a different story though.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I get that there are a lot of people who had Loud lifter tick where able to walk into their dealership and get them replaced under warranty. However, did anyone with minor lifter tick still have that kind of success in getting them replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get that there are a lot of people who had Loud lifter tick where able to walk into their dealership and get them replaced under warranty. However, did anyone with minor lifter tick still have that kind of success in getting them replaced under warranty?
Mine is loud on a cold day. (Under 40) I have the slp loudmouth exhaust and I can hear it over that sometimes. If that gives you an idea. And I would like to know that as well. I have heard of people just going to the dealer and saying "hey my lifter has a problem, can you fix it" and no questions asked they fix it...

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Thanks! appreciate the post. They didn't ask any questions about the lifter? How loud was your tick? Just a soft ticking noise? Or LOUD?
My tick was very faint, but it was enough to hear on a cold start up. After she warmed up, there was no tick, so they let her cool down for 3 hours, then found the tick on the cold start.

I also had the transmission seals and some gaskets replaced, and they had everything back together perfectly in 5 days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im a gm tech and have seen a quite a few similar cases, im sure if you take it in they will be willing to take a look at it.

Parts will be a couple days (mine were)

Only suggestion i have is to ask they take extra care if they find a bad lifter to inspect the cam. Heres a bulletin that matches your description 100%

#10-06-01-007D: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace AFM Valve Lifters) - (Apr 10, 2012)

Attention: This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Correction information by removing the non-AFM valve lifter replacement and removing the non-AFM valve lifter Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-007C (Section 06 – Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ConditionSome customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

CauseThis condition may be caused by any of the following:

•Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.
•A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.
•Dirty or contaminated oil.
•A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.
•Debris in the valve lifter.
•A high valve lifter leak down rate.
CorrectionIf the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:

 1. Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.
⇒ If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.
Notice: Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the valve lifter tick noise.

 2. Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.
⇒ If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 8 active fuel management (AFM) valve lifters ONLY.
Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement (With AFM) in SI.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Damn, I should have pressed my dealer for a replacement while I was still under warranty, although I think my ticking started after 36k miles. I'm at 65k now. I assumed the faint ticking was just par for the course and not a big deal, and maybe it isn't. Rule #1, never assume. :/

I will be doing a 21st Century Muscle Cars (Addison TX) DOD Delete package with stage 1 cam eventually. Just got to make it to then.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
^^ Or just go ahead and do it now!!! Just sayin....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im a gm tech and have seen a quite a few similar cases, im sure if you take it in they will be willing to take a look at it.

Parts will be a couple days (mine were)

Only suggestion i have is to ask they take extra care if they find a bad lifter to inspect the cam. Heres a bulletin that matches your description 100%

#10-06-01-007D: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace AFM Valve Lifters) - (Apr 10, 2012)

Attention: This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI.

This bulletin is being revised to update the Correction information by removing the non-AFM valve lifter replacement and removing the non-AFM valve lifter Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-007C (Section 06 – Engine/Propulsion System).

ConditionSome customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

CauseThis condition may be caused by any of the following:

•Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.
•A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.
•Dirty or contaminated oil.
•A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.
•Debris in the valve lifter.
•A high valve lifter leak down rate.
CorrectionIf the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:

 1. Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.
⇒ If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.
Notice: Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the valve lifter tick noise.

 2. Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.
⇒ If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 8 active fuel management (AFM) valve lifters ONLY.
Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement (With AFM) in SI.
Got this in document form? Can you email it to me? someone had sent me this before but I can't find it now...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
As an aside if you purchased the warranty and if they dont fix you, see what you can do in contract with cancellation. May come to be just a prorate put toward your loan(principle) but shortening your loan will be nice and no sense in paying for something that won't work for ya.

Ps this is what I do for a living so if you need help reading the paperwork shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As an aside if you purchased the warranty and if they dont fix you, see what you can do in contract with cancellation. May come to be just a prorate put toward your loan(principle) but shortening your loan will be nice and no sense in paying for something that won't work for ya.

Ps this is what I do for a living so if you need help reading the paperwork shoot me a pm.
I didn't know you could do that. We will be in contact.... lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GREAT NEWS! Lifter tick is going to be replaced under warranty! So excited. And I found someone who has a lift that will help me put my headers on! The next few weeks are going to be pretty interesting!

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
GREAT NEWS! Lifter tick is going to be replaced under warranty! So excited. And I found someone who has a lift that will help me put my headers on! The next few weeks are going to be pretty interesting!
:thumbsup:

Nice! All's well that ends well!!

I had a nice member on here pull all my warranty information and PM it to me. I am going to monitor the minimal tick and plan ahead to have mine replaced right before my 5 year/100K goes out.

You should start a "Header Install" thread and document all your work and post up some before and after vids! :)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
if they're covering claims you wont have a refund coming, they did what they're there for :D

glad its working out :D

·
Registered
574 Posts
FYI:

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts