Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke two stock driveshafts in one day running a 9.90 1/4 mile and decided it was time to upgrade. I ended up ordering a 4 inch aluminum driveshaft from GForce via Adam Cooper at ACE Performance as he is a friend and had just picked them up as a dealer. I received the 4 inch and tried and tried to get it to fit, but it is just too close in the fuel tank tunnel. I cut out some of the heat shield and beat on it some to get it to clear but then the emergency brakes cables were behind it and just too close. I sent pictures to GForce and spoke with Casey on it. He checked into it and reported back that the 4 inch fits G8's that are full race cars with the e-brake cables removed; mine is a daily with all that stuff still in place so it wasn't going to work. He immediately ordered me the 3.5 inch with no additional charges and had it dropped shipped overnight once it was ready so I could make it to a track rental this past weekend where the car ran a 9.68 @ 142 in the 1/4. The 3.5 inch driveshaft fit right in very nicely and performed perfectly! I am very pleased with it and especially the great customer service from Casey at GForce. I recommend these guys for sure!

See pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Glad they got it worked out for you doug!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good deal ! mine came loose doing 75 on the free way.
imagine what a noise it made. thought i spit the rear
diff out from under the car.
Yikes! Yeah, I bet that was a little exciting! I did not loctite the bolts holding the universals to the aluminum adapter plate; looked like the bolts were biting into the aluminum very well. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did both the flange bolts as well as the yoke bolts. my flange
bolts loosened up twice before i wised up and put locktite on
them too :)
Thanks, I'll keep a check on them.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I assume these are all one piece driveshafts from GForce? Hope Doug wont mind me stealing his tread for a minute but I have been having some clunking sounds from beneath the floor getting on and off the gas and on hard downshifts and I'm wondering what it sounds like when one of the center driveshaft bushing starts going out. I need to get under there and check things out before I toss a driveshaft but its Winter and yes its also a daily drive. Any idea what might be going on?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume these are all one piece driveshafts from GForce? Hope Doug wont mind me stealing his tread for a minute but I have been having some clunking sounds from beneath the floor getting on and off the gas and on hard downshifts and I'm wondering what it sounds like when one of the center driveshaft bushing starts going out. I need to get under there and check things out before I toss a driveshaft but its Winter and yes its also a daily drive. Any idea what might be going on?
Yes, aluminum one-piece driveshafts from GForce. I don't mind the question in this thread at all! It sounds like what I heard when the rubber support ring for the center carrier barrier came apart on me. I only heard the noise when getting on the throttle pretty good from a stop or pretty low speed. It sounded and felt like several thumps on the bottom of the car. It is easy to check if this is the problem: just jack the rear of the car up where you can get to the driveshaft as it exits the heat shield above the exhaust area in the tunnel between the trans and fuel tank. Push up on the driveshaft; if it has appreciable play, like 1/4 to 1/2 inch, your carrier bearing support is done. I was able to replace my stock shaft twice with salvage ones for $150. Alternately you can get a replacement center bearing for about $70 from Pace but you have to press the old one off and the new one on, assuming you haven't trashed the universal joint too. I think the more power you are putting to them, the quicker this rubber ring comes apart.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Yes, aluminum one-piece driveshafts from GForce. I don't mind the question in this thread at all! It sounds like what I heard when the rubber support ring for the center carrier barrier came apart on me. I only heard the noise when getting on the throttle pretty good from a stop or pretty low speed. It sounded and felt like several thumps on the bottom of the car. It is easy to check if this is the problem: just jack the rear of the car up where you can get to the driveshaft as it exits the heat shield above the exhaust area in the tunnel between the trans and fuel tank. Push up on the driveshaft; if it has appreciable play, like 1/4 to 1/2 inch, your carrier bearing support is done. I was able to replace my stock shaft twice with salvage ones for $150. Alternately you can get a replacement center bearing for about $70 from Pace but you have to press the old one off and the new one on, assuming you haven't trashed the universal joint too. I think the more power you are putting to them, the quicker this rubber ring comes apart.
Thanks Doug, I guess i'm going to have to brave the cold and get under there and check things out.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Doug, I guess i'm going to have to brave the cold and get under there and check things out.
No problem Ken; bundle up!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Nice job Doug!
I've been thinking about a one piece since mine seems a little sloppy.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm about due for this as well. Are there any benefits to staying with a 1-piece as opposed to the 2-piece that DSS offers?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm about due for this as well. Are there any benefits to staying with a 1-piece as opposed to the 2-piece that DSS offers?
I spoke with DSS before GForce and they told me they couldn't remember the last time they did a two-piece. The problem with the two-piece is that you still have a center carrier bearing suspended by a rubber ring. Under high power launches, this rubber ring is stressed and eventually fails. That's my understanding anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I spoke with DSS before GForce and they told me they couldn't remember the last time they did a two-piece. The problem with the two-piece is that you still have a center carrier bearing suspended by a rubber ring. Under high power launches, this rubber ring is stressed and eventually fails. That's my understanding anyway.
Doug, in looking at your signature I was wondering if you could answer a few questions please.

1. What rear are you running, it looks like a Camaro diff, what gear?
2. Driveshafts, gforce, DSS, etc?
3. What is your Drag race setup in the rear, you are pulling serious 60ft times.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doug, in looking at your signature I was wondering if you could answer a few questions please.

1. What rear are you running, it looks like a Camaro diff, what gear?
2. Driveshafts, gforce, DSS, etc?
3. What is your Drag race setup in the rear, you are pulling serious 60ft times.

Thanks
Sure, no problem! I am running the stock 2.92 diff and stock axles. I broke the first diff after maybe 130k miles and just broke my first axle last weekend. i replaced both with stock since they lasted so well. I am running C5 Z06 Vette front replica wheels (17x9.5) with M&H 325/45/17 DR's. I have BMR upper A-arm Delrin bushings, BMR adjustable toe rods and LCA's and BMR trailing arms with BMR poly bushings everywhere. I had to do some grinding on the LCA's so the wheels would clear but it's not too much. I run the FE3 shocks with Eibach Pro springs and the fenders are rolled of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doug, I have a couple questions about the 1 piece drive shaft.

1. How is it to daily drive vs the 2 piece? Much more vibration?
2. Do you know how much less the 1 piece drive shaft weighed vs the old 2 piece unit?
3. Do you know how much you gained in the 1/4 mile doing this mod? How much faster were you with this drive shaft vs the old one?

·
There was one?
2,308 Posts
Have enjoyed mine for over 2 years now. No issues except a slight fitment at the beginning. Works well....glad you have the same outcome as I did. G Force and Chris Nichols are great.....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doug, I have a couple questions about the 1 piece drive shaft.

1. How is it to daily drive vs the 2 piece? Much more vibration?
2. Do you know how much less the 1 piece drive shaft weighed vs the old 2 piece unit?
3. Do you know how much you gained in the 1/4 mile doing this mod? How much faster were you with this drive shaft vs the old one?
Sorry for being slow I thought I responded to this but maybe it didn't take!
1. Very little additional vibration; on a very smooth road I might feel it from 45-60 but it's not very noticeable. Above 60 I haven't noticed it really. In any case, it hasn't bothered me.
2. I think it is 6 lbs less.
3. Unfortunately i don't know as I changed from a stock balancer pulley to an 11% overdrive one (8.66"). The 1/4 mile time dropped from 9.90 to 9.68. I doubt it had much to do with the driveshaft really but it's possible it contributes a fraction due to the lack of slop in the carrier bearing and rubber couplings no longer there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts