Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than post on threads from seven years ago, I thought I'd start a new thread with a fix.

A couple weeks ago my daughter and her friend were roughhousing in my car, and ended up breaking off the remaining one or both of the limiting tabs in my glove box, allowing it to drop beyond its intended opening.

After seeing how much a glove box costs online (with no guarantee that the tabs aren't broken) I did a little research and came up with what I think is a good solution.

PARTS

(4) Black Oxide Alloy Steel Flanged Button Head Screws, 10-32 Thread, 1/2" Long
(2) Nylon 6/6 Female Threaded Round Standoffs, 1/4" OD, 7/8" Length 10-32 Thread
3/16" Drill Bit
10-32 Tap
Slide knife

Hardware came from McMaster-Carr, tools I had on hand.

After following directions found elsewhere to get the glove box out of the car and get the door off the rest of the glove box, I cleaned up where the old stops broke off with the slide knife, and drilled through the center of the lugs and through the side of the glove box.

For an extra bit of security, I tapped the holes.

I then ran two of the screws into the holes from the inside of the glove box. I chose these because they sort of look factory, and at the very least they don't stick out. I then threaded the two nylon standoffs onto those screws, then screwed the remaining two screws into the other end of the standoffs.

Before reinstalling the glove box assembly into the dash, I reconnected the soft touch assist cylinder.

I'm happy with the end result. The soft touch open works (I didn't realize the car even had that feature) and you really can't see the pieces I installed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Soft touch open? Damn, mine doesn't do that, guess I'll add that to the list of things to look into, maybe one of the tabs is broken off mine as well.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Soft touch open?...
Indeed. Basically it's a string attached to a cylinder that slows how fast the door opens. In other words, the door has a gradual lowering versus rapidly falling down.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed. Basically it's a string attached to a cylinder that slows how fast the door opens. In other words, the door has a gradual lowering versus rapidly falling down.

And the string is attached to a thinner section of the pin on that side of the box. It doesn't take much to break it off, followed soon after by the limiting pins, and BOOM, your maps and registration are on your feet.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
And the string is attached to a thinner section of the pin on that side of the box. It doesn't take much to break it off, followed soon after by the limiting pins, and BOOM, your maps and registration are on your feet.
Maps?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Too fancy a fix for me. I would just use bolts, washers and nuts. My glove box just flops down (always did) so I pulled the 5 screws along the top hoping to pull things down and see what I have but things wouldn't move. So just buttoned it back up and called it good enough.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too fancy a fix for me. I would just use bolts, washers and nuts. My glove box just flops down (always did) so I pulled the 5 screws along the top hoping to pull things down and see what I have but things wouldn't move. So just buttoned it back up and called it good enough.

If you pull the panel down from under the glove box, then remove the two screws down there, your glove box assembly should come out.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
... so I pulled the 5 screws along the top hoping to pull things down and see what I have but things wouldn't move....
There are three screws behind the silver trim along the top edge of the glove compartment. One screw is at the top behind each cap with slots to insert a flat-head screwdriver. Two screws are located on each end at the bottom of the glove box. Suggest removing the panel/trim below the glove box to avoid breaking any of the plastic clips. Also, pull the glove box forward as opposed to straight down to avoid damaging the two plastic pins located above the removable caps previously mentioned. Finally, the trunk lid release switch wiring harness is held to the vehicle with a plastic clip located on the left. The harness is just long enough to allow the removal of the glove box and using a hand to disconnect it. GL!!!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thanks Folks! Got the glove box out in like 2 minutes (with the help of a screw gun). Found the tip of the stub that the soft drop cable would hook to was broken off. The stub is hollow so found a tiny screw to fit and with a small pop rivet washer got it hooked up and working.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts