Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i figured id fill guys in on what to expect from a ls376 535hp gm crate motor. my g8 gt had 154,000 miles on it so i decided to play with this car. i had priced out all the parts and figured in what my time was worth to do a cam swap and a dod delete to my car, after all prices etc come back i decided to look at engine swaps for the extra investment so i wasn't throwing away good parts on a higher milage g8 gt. so i will fill you in on the results after the chassis dyno tune. ordered the Ls376 535 hp engine from gm and a 3000 stall with jba long tube headers and solo cat back exaust. after swapping engines and slipping a convertor on the tranny while engine out. the car has a nice rumble to it when running the car after, all this with a 2 year warranty. I'm very happy with the way i went and how it turned out so far. will post hp and torque from the chassis dyno and final tune. the tuner expects to get 30-40hp over the adververtised hp etc, we will see. think changing motors was easier then stripping engine down in the car to do a cam swap and dod lol. if this thing performs like it sounds it should be a fun car for the summe. will post pics and numbers after the tune and dyno. i will say this was a drop motor and hook wiring back up.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sound like you had a well thought out plan.
What was the cost difference between doing the DOD and the engine swap?
Was the work done at a shop or did you do your own wrenching?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all work was done by myself, and ill remind everyone this was all Canadian dollars
ill break down the dod delete costs first
cam, lifters 3 bolt plate, gaskets,lifters,etc $3400cdn this is with not touching other items that should be done on a higher milage car like oil pumps etc,etc lol. then there is my time and mess to change out!!!!!!im sure you could put a value of 2500 for extras and time. A shop quoted me 6000 to do everything not counting the 1000 tune after. didn't seem worth the price for the milage. here is a break down of an engine swap with a crate Ls376 535 hp motor, and this is a complete motor.
motor 9800
torque 1100
day for the dyno and tuning will be 1000
labour was 6 hrs and it was pulled out
install and was taking my time was 2 days including exhaust.
exaust 2200
end result was working on clean motors, all wiring hooked directly up,looks original,and anyone with mech skills can pull this swap off as its pretty simple but probably easier then doing your own dod in the car.
i also spent roughly 220 on shop supplies like coolant oils etc
$14,000 spent total and now i have a fun reliable car that seems to be going up in value with new motor for resale if i ever choose to sell. ill add also i sold the old motor complete for 1400 to recoup some cost also. think with this combo and a tune you should have some fun playing with other cars catching them off guard being a sedan. one can cut costs by not doing exaust at the same time but think you'll want to feel the full effects of the swap and tune. motor will handle a nice bottle mounted in the trunk for a little catch up in case you fall behind 150 shot lol

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Thank you.
Just after you posted another owner posted asking the swap question this should help him also.
Your total spent is still a big chunk of change for anyone.
Obviously not everyone has your skill and knowledge to do this, I don't!!!!
Sounds like she's a fun sleeper now....
Where are you located?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to me it was the easier and probably the cheaper way to go without feeding the money into a high miles car. a person can go for the crate motor with almost the same power as stock g8 for $6100. i opted for the bigger hp motor and adding a convertor because i thought the car deserves it lol, a lower $ crate motor would come out cheaper then doing the dod and cam i figure and then everything is new. you wouldn't require a convertor with a lower hp engine either but i was this deep i just went all out. on a engine swap with a good runner a person should be able to sell and recover some money

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing I should ad is you need to run 93 octane on this set up unless I get the tuner to adjust it for lower octane and give some HP up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the streets are drying up and had to take the car for a spin today. here is an update. car is all tuned for 87 octane fuel and the dyno numbers came in at 538hp engine and is putting 431 to the rear wheels. while driving today it is hard to hide that there is something done to this car as it sounds nasty with the solo exhaust and no drone with the long tubes and no cats this is a fun car to play in as it blows the tires off it pretty easy. while out driving around I had come across a mousetang owner with a load exhaust and low and behold it was a younger guy so I knew I could entice him. lets just say he won't play with me anymore lol. very happy with the path I choose to go as the end results is a car to go out and have some fun with and keep around for the long haul. ill post a track time slip when the track opens and will see the numbers on warmer pavement. pretty accurate numbers as advertised by gm on this crate motor. stay healthy everyone

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you.
Just after you posted another owner posted asking the swap question this should help him also.
Your total spent is still a big chunk of change for anyone.
Obviously not everyone has your skill and knowledge to do this, I don't!!!!
Sounds like she's a fun sleeper now....
Where are you located?
Edmonton

1 - 8 of 8 Posts