Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An owner's new Camaro lost oil pressure upon start up sitting in the driveway. After a two week battle with the dealer and GM they blamed the driver's catch can and voided the warranty giving no explanation on how the catch can caused any failure and now have walked away from an 11 month old car with 11423 miles on it. Link for the long detailed version:

A post I was hoping to not have to make (GM blocks warranty repair) - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

The owner also started a petition to GM for them to honor the warranty:

https://www.change.org/p/alicia-boler-davis-help-get-gm-to-honor-their-warranty?recruiter=35862786&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

·
Registered
845 Posts
all the internet lawyers from the "will a catch can void my warranty" threads are real salty right now

·
Registered
82 Posts
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

specifically "Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure."

he'd have ground to stand on since the 1le camaro that he has uses a special Factory oil separator add on kit ..theres no way they can say an aftermarket can can hold enough oil to starve the engine

, its just another bs excuse from Gm to not warranty their known issues.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Are we sure the catch can was the only thing done?... are we getting the full story?.. usually if someone does a catch can they do a whole bunch of other stuff also.... cam, tune, etc.....

if there was nothing done this would be an easy court case for the owner.... there is no way GM would allow this to go to court and would settle for sure from my opinion.... seems like some other facts are missing..

·
Registered
210 Posts
if there was nothing done this would be an easy court case for the owner.... there is no way GM would allow this to go to court and would settle for sure from my opinion.... seems like some other facts are missing..
Agreed. Under $10,000. Small Claims Court eligible. Ask for a jury trial. GM would capitulate, as their cost for a lawyer to actually show up just to answer the suit in Snuff Gully, much less defend it, would be more than their cost on the short block replacement and shop hour warranty rate paid to the dealer. Its all about the money.

Unless...GM is right and there is more to the story that the owner has conveniently left out and does not want to share.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was looking at a catch can for my SS sedan but decided against it for the time for this very reason, the voided warranty. what a load of bull****

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
11 Participants
matthewg
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing