Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Was that the salesman? He was the only one with a tie on. He should be fired if it was. That is complete (insert b.s. smilie here) :censored:

·
Craving V8 muscle again
66 Posts
man what idiots. If they think a G8 is fast, i hate to see them in a new Z06. You never know , that car might be an almightly dyno queen as it was driven like somebody stole it

·
Registered
195 Posts
WTF!!! Stupid MFers!!! I can't believe they beat the snot out of the car like that and it isn't even broken in yet! Thank god I'm buying a brand new one. And that dude doesn't even deserve a license not even a bike. He should be walking to work and back after that abuse.

·
Party Liquor Hybrid
254 Posts
I pulled my car off the showroom floor. It did have about 100 miles on it, but at my dealership, the salesman rides with you. And I am certain some of those miles came from the salesmen at the dealership taking the car for a spin.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Well if the car had less than 20 miles on it, the best way to break it in is to run it hard. This is always a controversial topic though.

What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??
The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

Why ??
Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.

If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ...
How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of
PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) of combustion pressure ??
Of course it can't.

There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles !!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well if the car had less than 20 miles on it, the best way to break it in is to run it hard. This is always a controversial topic though.
Not quite. The engine is technically broken in when you get the car. The moly rings that they use now seat very quickly and every G8 hits a chassis dyno at the factory. What you are breaking in is the rest of the drivetrain. Besides, if the best way to break a car in was to beat on it for the first 20 miles, wouldn't the owner's manual state that? Read any installation instructions for differential gears and they give specific instructions on break. Hammering on it in the first 20 miles is not among them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If that was his car then fine. Everyone has the right to drive their cars the way they feel but if that wasn't his car then he was wrong for abusing the car like that. If he was a dealer beating on a car that is for sale I hope Pontiac or his boss sees this and hopefully fires him.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Doesn't the manual say no WOT under 500 miles? Poor G8tor

·
Registered
576 Posts
I always heard you should be easy on them until they have 500+ miles on them. I've never had a new one, so that's never been a debate for me. But I've had a new engine in an old hot rod and I babied it for the first 500-600 miles.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Bought a 98 Z28 with a LS1, and drove like a bat out of hell from day one. No problems ever. I agree the sales guy should take it a little easier on such a new car, but it's supposed to be flouged every once and awhile :gears:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thats not good... the poster of the video says that was the salesman driving...

·
Superduper Member
306 Posts
hmm my car was in the dealership for 3 days while they fixed the bumper that they scratched on the show room floor. It went in with 602 miles and when I picked it up it had 611. How the hell did they put 9 miles on it?? They better not have been taking it out for a ride.

·
Go fast grocery getter
610 Posts
hmm my car was in the dealership for 3 days while they fixed the bumper that they scratched on the show room floor. It went in with 602 miles and when I picked it up it had 611. How the hell did they put 9 miles on it?? They better not have been taking it out for a ride.
9 miles?? I would have went ape-$hit if I got my car back and it had 9 additional miles on it. That is an obvious sign of them taking it out joyriding. You should have confronted them about it.

When I got my windows tinted, I intentionally left the DIC on the Odometer setting so they would get the hint.

·
2004 GTO Owner
4 Posts
LOL...Reminds me if back in the mid 90's when I was a Pontiac salesman. I used to get my buddies to come down when the manager was off so we could take out WS6 TAs!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts