Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I am thinking about going on a roadtrip from Detroit to Los Angeles, a 2300 mile trip each way. How much of a strain will this put on the car? Will I mess up the radiator with bugs? Is keeping the engine running for hours at a time bad for it? Am I significantly affecting the life of my car? Any advice from those who have made long trips before will help.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dude its a modern car.. drive it around the world if you want to. Just stay on top of the scheduled maintenance and you'll be fine.

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
I think you have to stop and run around the car 3 times clock wise and 4 times counter clockwise after every 500 miles.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Id start out with a fresh oil change before you leave and check all fluids. These cars love to eat up the miles...they love to stretch their legs on the hwy too!

Check fluids every couple of fuel stops and put a good coat of wax on the car before you leave (to help with sticking bugs).

·
Master Member
7 Posts
I think you have to stop and run around the car 3 times clock wise and 4 times counter clockwise after every 500 miles.
I'm picking up mine from the dealer tomorrow, so I've been reading through the owner's manual. This is the RECOMMENDED amount. Personally, to be safe, I'd do it every 250 miles.

·
Drives with wolves
900 Posts
I'm picking up mine from the dealer tomorrow, so I've been reading through the owner's manual. This is the RECOMMENDED amount. Personally, to be safe, I'd do it every 250 miles.
I concur!!!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I drove mine to colorado from Pennsylvania then back within 3 weeks. Car never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
[ I think you have to stop and run around the car 3 times clock wise and 4 times counter clockwise after every 500 miles. /QUOTE]

Three times clock wise .... Ooooo, that's why I broke down

·
Registered
127 Posts
Flew out and bought mine from a dealer about 45 minutes outside of LA, then drove it back to Miami. It will be fine!

As far as bugs good advice on the wax before you leave tip. For the radiator I don't think there is much you can do there, but driving during the day instead of at night should help a lot.

·
There was one?
2,310 Posts
OP, I have taken my car on a trip from Orlando to Chicago and back and from Orlando to New Orleans and back. Those two trips combined are close to what you will be doing. Enjoy the journey and your car. You should have no major issues provided you keep it well maintained.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
i heard that every 150 miles you have to stop walk around the car, then sit on the windshield and if need be do burnouts and stop rly fast....

bro, just drive and do maintenence. your good! forget the rest. oh n wash the cah

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ive been from NJ to NM and all around the four corners region several times. Never any problems, always an oil change before you go(and sometimes after) keep up on your maintenance. Oh and this cars a champ out on the open highway... one of my main requirements when getting the G8 was that it be a good road trip car.... its a great road trip car! enjoy.

·
Spaycace
151 Posts
I agree having grown up in the Midwest ... I'd suggest 2 coats of wax before you leave! Rain-X (or something similar) the windshield for ease of washing bugs off too! As long as you keep up maintenance on the car, you should have no fears of going on a road trip of the nature you're talking about. Also, might want to check the tread on the tires ... wouldn't want to run into heavy rains with a tire not ready for that, be it low tread or summer only.

ENJOY the car and the trip!

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
+1 on the blinker fluid.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Dude its a modern car.. drive it around the world if you want to. Just stay on top of the scheduled maintenance and you'll be fine.

Drove from Oklahoma to Florida non stop each way; added more mileage in Tampa and Orlando. As stated before; maintenance is the key and enjoy the car.

As far bugs? Yeah, will be tons of them.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
I've done a few road trips in the G8...

2011 Road Trip (9,218 miles)

2012 Road Trip (11,146 miles)

You'll be fine. Change the oil before you leave and double-check that everything is in tip-top shape. Bring some extra fluids with you if they aren't things you can pickup at a local auto parts store.

I travel with a full oil change +2qts, filters, coolant, etc... but I find myself out in the middle of no where too often. I also have a full size spare just in case (to be honest, I'd probably be OK with only replacement tire since I don't think I can fit a jack under my car anyhow). After my 2011 trip I also added a small tool kit... trying to work on your car with only a leatherman is a pain!

I never really had an issue with bugs (yes the car got dirty), but I was able to find self-wash places to periodically knock the big stuff off. Putting a "heavy" coat of wax is nice, but I'd avoid doing any of the "blue tape" sort of things... especially in the summer sun/heat it doesn't play well with paint (and just falls off anyhow).

TruthOasis said:
Is keeping the engine running for hours at a time bad for it?
I've found it's worse for me than the car... done full tanks of gas without stopping, but most of the times I need a breather after a few hours. If you've never experienced it before, be aware of the "rest reminder"... before turning it off I nearly got a heart attack every time thinking it was a check engine light!

Depending on the route you take there are some great places to stop along the way. I've driven Route 66 nearly the entire way, definitely worth it if you have some extra time. There are some spectacular National Parks in Wyoming and Utah, and the mountains in Colorado are lots of fun too.

If you have any questions about places to go or routes to take, just let me know. I did full daily write-ups on my blog if you're looking for lots of reading material.

-Todd...

PS - Schedule the trip at the same time as the National G8 Meet... cruise down to Iowa and then keep on going!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Bugs will be your worst enemy on a road trip. Just make sure you don't let them bake into the paint. Give her a good wash when you get back.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
These cars are made for long distance travel. Use common sense, have the vehicle
serviced before you go. And enjoy the drive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts