Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good local shop that has a Dynojet. I'm looking to get some base dyno's ran before I start tuning the car. Just interested in running and not tuning.

Reason for Dynojet and not mustang run is to compare to some friends who all have their dyno's done on dynojets.

I'm hoping to only pay like 60 bucks and most the places around here are around 100+.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Check out this thread about local performance shops.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14880

There's shops listed on there that have dynojet, but people don't say too many good things about them. I've never personally had a car dynoed so I have no experience with this. Maybe ask BobtheMonkee who started that thread or bsellars because I know both of them have some serious engine mods and have used some local dynos.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Check out this thread about local performance shops.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14880

There's shops listed on there that have dynojet, but people don't say too many good things about them. I've never personally had a car dynoed so I have no experience with this. Maybe ask BobtheMonkee who started that thread or bsellars because I know both of them have some serious engine mods and have used some local dynos.

Don't know if Brandon, BobtheMonkee, is around anymore. Haven't heard or seen anything from him in many months. Brian, bsellars, hasn't posted here, but can be reached over at PNW G8 Club site. Good hunting!:wink2:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I went to Carb Connection in Kirkland. It was $160.

They will try to let you give them have a shot at tuning it. I would stick with your Superchips or Vector/Livernois/Patrick G for tuning the G8.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah earlier this last year I called around and most places wanted you to rent the dyno for a Min amount of time; which makes sense.

Was hoping I could find something for 60 bucks which is what most of my friends paid, but it was because of a dyno day. I know Dynojets give bloated numbers but I am interested in comparing 3 different cars, 2 of which have already done dynojets.

I'm currently looking for a superchips cortex tuner (watching ebay for a deal and this forum) and later after my buddy buys his Z06, we'll be buying together HP Tuner and letting my brother (certified mechanic) have fun with our cars.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I think it's the Mustang dynos that give inflated numbers. I see all these posts with guys showing higher HP with just CAI and tune than I have with the same mods AND LT headers and free flowing catback, on Mustang dynos.

A dyno day would be fun, but there doesn't seem to have been any interest.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm that hasn't been my experience - even my friends who have the dynojet numbers said the mustang dyno might dyno lower.

But then again, nothing with cars seems to be 100% accurate. I just want a close comparison to theirs anyways.

·
What Would Jesus Drive?
1,563 Posts
Carb Conn has been great to me. I have used them several times. Their dyno is not the loosest dyno (High numbers) in the world when comparing my car to others, but they are a good group of guys and do good quality work.
I could talk to Alex about a Dyno if people are interested.
Tony

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Tony,
When you've done your dyno there, did you do it in 3rd or 4th gear? They had me run in 3rd, and after I got home, I saw on the forums everyone states to run in 4th on a dynojet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you pay more than 60-75 bucks for a basic 3 pulls with a wideband you got ripped off.

Dynojets give the highest numbers, then mustang dynos then if you want to get your feelings hurt get on a dyno dynamics :) Dynocom dyno's are similar to mustang dynos aswell. We have access to all three and we go get on the dynojet when we just want numbers to post on the internet :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Tony,
When you've done your dyno there, did you do it in 3rd or 4th gear? They had me run in 3rd, and after I got home, I saw on the forums everyone states to run in 4th on a dynojet.
You need to run in 4th since its the closest to 1:1 ratio. Its still not a perfect 1:1 since our 4th is closer to 1:1.1 IIRC.. 3rd gear pulls will over inflate your numbers and is a common thing for import guys to do.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I wouldn't say my numbers were inflated, 343 rwhp and 348 rwtq, with the mods in my sig. I did have a Vararam at the time, and now the RotoFab.

I see posts from folks with just a CAI and tune showing higher #'s from a Mustang dyno.

We are limited to 92 octane gas here, and 91 octane tunes. Most folks I see are posting numbers with 93 octane tunes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dyno's are just tools for tuning anyway If you go back with new mods make sure you dyno in 3rd to get a good indication of how youve improved and then do one in 4th and you will see what im talking about. Compairing dyno numbers will make your head hurt, theres so many variables and every dyno even two dyno jets will give you two different results. and then throw in the tune and who tuned it Vs a handheld and your not even going to come close to compairing apples to apples... The only way you really know if yours makes more than the other guy is to line up next to them on the same day....

·
What Would Jesus Drive?
1,563 Posts
Tony,
If memory serves, which is a total roll of the dice, 4th.
Should have some new Dyno numbers this week. I will be sure to have them run it in 4th.

·
What Would Jesus Drive?
1,563 Posts
I wouldn't say my numbers were inflated, 343 rwhp and 348 rwtq, with the mods in my sig. I did have a Vararam at the time, and now the RotoFab.

I see posts from folks with just a CAI and tune showing higher #'s from a Mustang dyno.

We are limited to 92 octane gas here, and 91 octane tunes. Most folks I see are posting numbers with 93 octane tunes.

Last time my car was on the Dyno I had almost identical mods as you, and hit 353rwhp, and 351lbs. At least it is consistent.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
hmmmmm......wonder why you need to be re-dyno'd

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Anyone ever thought about using a bottle or half a bottle of octane boost to get past 92 to 93 octaine?

I've been spending a lot of time reading up on peoples thoughts. Most people are trying to get race gas in a cheap way but it seems they are good for 1 - 5 octane.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts