Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving our G8 about once a week lately on fairly short drives. Yesterday I had a slow crank and the doors locked while cranking. I haven't had any prior issues. Engineering mode said the battery is at 40%.

I want to put a trickle charger on it. The positive terminal is obvious, but I didn't see a good candidate for the negative cable to clip on to. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
549 Posts
On the driver side by the air filter, there should be a metal post sticking out horizontally. I've always used that post and I believe that is what is suggested to use in the manual for jump starting as well.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Are you trying to connect the trickle charge directly to the battery or use the battery connections under the hood?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under the hood. Of course, I could use the battery itself in the rear, it's just less convenient given the position of the outlets in my garage.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
On the driver side by the air filter, there should be a metal post sticking out horizontally. I've always used that post and I believe that is what is suggested to use in the manual for jump starting as well.
I trickle charge my battery here too. That horizontal post is part of a bracket that has some sort of grounding strap attached to it. The 3 yr battery I installed back in 2012 seems to be going strong with the trickle charging but I don't put many miles on my G8 (only 41k now). I am getting nervous about the battery so I keep my jump starter in the trunk. Maybe I should just replace it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I trickle charge my battery here too. That horizontal post is part of a bracket that has some sort of grounding strap attached to it.
Great guys, thanks. I've got the negative clamped to that post, and having found it, it seems obvious that that was what the factory intended.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts