Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 09 gt with 180k on the body, the engine was apparently rebuilt 3 months ago when he swapped cam and swapped to LS7 lifters. The car has the original 4l80, stock converter, but was dynod at 393 to wheels. He is asking $12000 and wont go any lower on it, despite it needing a new front bumper (as its cracked at the bottom) and a ton of chips out of the paint on the hood. I was looking for a second opinion before i decide. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Are maintenance records available? Even so would keep looking.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The conspiracy part of me see's, an owner who did the DOD and didn't like the results or can't get it to run right so wants to pass his problems on to someone else.
If the front end is as bad as you say, pass, there's others out there.
As Pony Man asks history and maintenance records would be beneficial.
Check the cars for sale thread on this board and Facebook seems to have many listing.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
418 Posts
Too much imho.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Are maintenance records available? Even so would keep looking.
No service records as far as I know, The dude wouldn't let me drive it when I got there because "it's his baby" it's kinda hard to sell a car to someone if you don't let them drive it lol. Instead he took me for a ride, and it seemed to drive and pull fine, but will need brakes.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Well, in that case. Run, don't walk away from this one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree. Rebuilt only 3 months ago and cammed. Why if you intended to let it go? Add up the costs. If the body, engine and brakes need doing, seems like 'baby' wasn't well cared for. May be better to keep looking.

·
Registered
2009 MGM GT. In need of wider tires and LSA
55 Posts
The seller is a total clown, not letting people drive a car worth 12k

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
ls7 lifters are not a selling point, std replacements. I'd stay away due to the 4l80 which is not original.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree. Rebuilt only 3 months ago and cammed. Why if you intended to let it go? Add up the costs. If the body, engine and brakes need doing, seems like 'baby' wasn't well cared for. May be better to keep looking.
He did mention that he is looking at some truck he wants to buy or something like that, he said he will put drilled/slotted rotors on it for me if I purchase so that's a plus. I can't seem to find a car around my price range, I'm more worried about 180k miles on a 4l80

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sounds like you are talking yourself into it no matter the opinions of this forum.

The trans mission is a 6L80E in these cars.

Drilled slotted rotors are not nessasarily an "upgrade" especially if they started as standard rotors that now have less mass than stock.

"Rebuilt " means different things to different people. Would be good to clairify what that means to the seller.

What other work was done to get 393 rwhp ?

While not mind bending that is a chunk better than a stock l76, or my stock LS3 for that matter.

You are going to do what you are going to do .

The used car market is a little wacky with high prices right now but I am on the walk away side here.
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you are talking yourself into it no matter the opinions of this forum.

The trans mission is a 6L80E in these cars.

Drilled slotted rotors are not nessasarily an "upgrade" especially if they started as standard rotors that now have less mass than stock.

"Rebuilt " means different things to different people. Would be good to clairify what that means to the seller.

What other work was done to get 393 rwhp ?

While not mind bending that is a chunk better than a stock l76, or my stock LS3 for that matter.

You are going to do what you are going to do .

The used car market is a little wacky with high prices right now but I am on the walk away side here.
Good luck

Yeah i took a look at every other GT in a 500 miles radius and couldnt find one cheaper, although i did find a 100k mile mint condition for 16k.. I didnt really see the brake job as a upgrade per say, it was needed. Ill still have to ask what all he changed internally, i know he did lifters cam and truniun. With the way the markets going im not sure whats a decent deal and whats not, 12k for a 10 year old car seems a bit steep but i really want one! lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my 09 GT listed on carsandbids.com right now. Life changes and I have to get rid of it. Owned it since new. Take a look, auction ends tomorrow.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd pass. You'll find one eventually and one that doesn't have a cracked bumper. That's not an easy or cheap fix and even if the price looks low, the fact that you can't test drive it is a huge red flag for me. Go ahead and shop around for a new front bumper, I'll wait.

I got my GT from 3000 miles away from a used car dealer in Connecticut (I live in SoCal). But I definitely paid for it. The G8 came with a 6l80, not 4l80. Sounds like either the info is wrong OR it was replaced. Both understandable considering the 6l80 is prone to low mileage issues due to the junk torque converters they used.

Keep shopping, you'll find a better car for sure.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black, Roto-Fab CAI.
89 Posts
I bought my 2009 GT for $13K in the Raleigh, NC area. Has 122K on it. Scratch or two here and there but runs great, no mods on it when I made the purchase. It lived in the southern US for its whole life so, no rust. Travelled 300 miles to test drive and pick it up.

Front needs to be replaced as it has stress cracks where someone tapped the parking curbs a few times. Found a body shop in Culpeper VA that would replace and paint a new front end to match for $1000.00

Looked at four others before I made this purchase. $12K for 180K miles? As the other guys have stated, look around some more.

Good luck on your hunt.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
...Front needs to be replaced as it has stress cracks where someone tapped the parking curbs a few times. Found a body shop in Culpeper VA that would replace and paint a new front end to match for $1000.00...
New as in not reconditioned nor refurbished front bumper? Genuine General Motors or aftermarket?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black, Roto-Fab CAI.
89 Posts
Good questions. I am going to the body shop this week to get an official quote to paint the whole car. I'll ask these while I am there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts