Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have the 91 Rotofab tune in my car with DOD disabled and stock trans tune. I would like to know if there is a way to help with the delayed downshift...basically from 6th to 4th and 5th to 3rd at 3/4 power the trans shifts down one gear then goes down another. I would like it to shifter directly to the lower gear without flooring it every time. Is there a way to solve this problem with the Cortex or do I need to go with a more advanced tune?

I'm also getting lifter noise on cold starts...is this possibly because my DOD is disabled or is there a way to tune that out also?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Throttle placement has a lot to do with downshifts. If you go directly to half throttle, the car will downshift 2 gears at once like you want. If you roll into the throttle to half throttle, she will shifts gear to gear. Try being a bit more aggressive with the throttle when you want it do jump down 2 or 3 gears. Going WOT at 60mph, she will jump down into second gear and take off like a rocket :)

A little tick on start up in cold weather is normal. If it lasts longer than 10 seconds, then you may have a problem.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SRG...I will try that with the throttle. I get really annoyed by the trans sometimes!

The tick at start isn't in cold weather just if I haven't driven the car in a couple days. I guess it is from the lack of oil up top right? Would synthetic oil help with that or maybe slightly thicker oil? It is pretty hot here in Houston most of the year.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Thanks SRG...I will try that with the throttle. I get really annoyed by the trans sometimes!

The tick at start isn't in cold weather just if I haven't driven the car in a couple days. I guess it is from the lack of oil up top right? Would synthetic oil help with that or maybe slightly thicker oil? It is pretty hot here in Houston most of the year.
synthetic is recommended for the V8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts