Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had another thread in the L76/ls3 section on getting my cam installed by vector and figured I would post videos and pics in this section. So today I went and got to see it in action on the rollers, I didnt take it home yet cause steve from VMS needs to do a little fine tuning on the street with it.

At first I was a little dissapointed, But mustang dynos really shatter your expectations real fast. I know it will be a different story when I go back today and pick it up and actually get to drive it. After doing some calculations from dynojets (reads 10% higher), I guess im right on par with all the other stage 1 cams.

" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
">
" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

[/IMG]

ending results for the custom cam (219/227 .607/.614 113+1 Lsa): 371hp/341tq ...he said he should have it idleing around 750 rpms.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol all thats alot of $$$, my wife as put a hold on my car funds for a while...which i dont blame her. So all thats out of the question...im gonna try for wheels and tires next.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
lol all thats alot of $$$, my wife as put a hold on my car funds for a while...which i dont blame her. So all thats out of the question...im gonna try for wheels and tires next.
Yea prepare for tires....Your car will EAT them now that you have unleashed the inner beast! Rick is excellent to work with, Im hoping you are pleased with the results after you drive it. Dont get too caught up on those numbers, those arent the ones that count.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agree, thanks troy!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm looking forward to our race and with our numbers so damn close it should be a good one!

·
every village has one
2,345 Posts
That was quick! You just took the car in on Monday, didn't you?
You're right about the Mustang being stingy. There are several good articles out there that explain why.

·
Registered
249 Posts
For a little cam that is some good power! Congrats. Are you on the stock convertor?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking forward to our race and with our numbers so damn close it should be a good one!
yes! however as I finaly drove it, im figuring out where the hot spot is, im noticing alot of low end power, from 20 mph and up. Theres deff a dead spot off the line till about 2000-2500 then it goes like hell. Redlines and shifts at 6650, but I think it drives about the same higher in the rpm band. Its really blowing my mind. 40 rolls seem the same, but I really couldnt stay into it becuase of open streets and traffic.

That was quick! You just took the car in on Monday, didn't you?
You're right about the Mustang being stingy. There are several good articles out there that explain why.
Thats correct! I took to them monday morning and gave it back to me wesnday afternoon. I did have this date reserved about 3 weeks advance so I dont know if that helped getting it in and out so quick. Dan is a good guy over there and really walked me through all the steps. So kudos to him!

For a little cam that is some good power! Congrats. Are you on the stock convertor?
Thanks, and yes stock converter. It shakes a little now and the car deff. lurches on all stops, idles at 750 ish and you do need to hold the brakes down a little more firm. Nothing too crazy, I really didnt think it would lurch as much but I think it has something to do with the trans tune. Im gonna have to find time to take it back to them to revise it, WOT doing 40 or 60 ish and it downshifts hard, then ESP light comes on and it bogs and goes nowhere...so Im gonna have to get with them tomarrow and figure out when I can get it back in, manual shift its good....just when the car has to find the gear itself when you put it to the floor.

·
Registered
996 Posts
yes! however as I finaly drove it, im figuring out where the hot spot is, im noticing alot of low end power, from 20 mph and up. Theres deff a dead spot off the line till about 2000-2500 then it goes like hell. Redlines and shifts at 6650, but I think it drives about the same higher in the rpm band. Its really blowing my mind. 40 rolls seem the same, but I really couldnt stay into it becuase of open streets and traffic.
That sounds a lot like how my car drives. From a 20 roll its a beast and 50/55 roll its an absolute animal. I pull to about 6750ish in my car.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i guess im gonna have to figure out its sweet spots again now with the new torque curve.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also will be a good race to see how this cam compares to a 1c, i think you would win tho, your car seemed faster when i was in your passenger seat....and it cant be your intake and tb.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Congrats!!! You will like it once you drive it more... you will get used to the brake thing and will be normal for you. It took me a week or so on my old setup but ended up not minding it at all... Kind of hard to drive on our cold streets... wont be able to really enjoy till mid april :)....

Yea that mustang dyno reads hard on a car!!! thought mine should have read higher but turned out decent but like others said track and butt is all that matters!!!

Hopefully will be able to meet you and maybe hit the track with some of the other guys!!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Also will be a good race to see how this cam compares to a 1c, i think you would win tho, your car seemed faster when i was in your passenger seat....and it cant be your intake and tb.
I have the 1 not the 1c. But it will be a good comparison of each cam.

Congrats!!! You will like it once you drive it more... you will get used to the brake thing and will be normal for you. It took me a week or so on my old setup but ended up not minding it at all... Kind of hard to drive on our cold streets... wont be able to really enjoy till mid april :)....

Yea that mustang dyno reads hard on a car!!! thought mine should have read higher but turned out decent but like others said track and butt is all that matters!!!

Hopefully will be able to meet you and maybe hit the track with some of the other guys!!!
Exactly, I really don't even notice the pushing through my brakes anymore.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
you want a good number go on a dynotjet, you a better more dialed in tune go to a mustang...that is what I've been told anyway...something about the mustang dyno putting more load on the drivetrain or something?

Either way congrats...I may be tempted to throw a cam in mine if (When?) the DOD stuff crashes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts