Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this isn't a G8 but it is an L92/LS3 platform so I figured you guys would be interested in the results. Ignore the funky TQ read out on the dyno. We were having problems with it when the car was strapped down. All the #'s are accurate and were backed up by 2 different dynos...

Anyway....Details:

* Vehicle is a 2010 Camaro SS, LS3 M6
* Stock untouched 6.2L bottom end
* Advanced Induction massage LS3 castings - Stock valves - ~11.8:1 compression
* Spartan custom cut Cam Motion camshaft - 224/234 .629/.620 114. Camshaft was degree'd in @ 111 ICL on Spartan/Cam Motion lobes.
* American Racing 1 7/8 Longtubes w/ matching X-pipe
* Dual cutouts before the X-pipe - First 2 pulls were made with cutouts open
* Stock CB system - Note: The 489/469 pull was through the catback!!!
* LS7 clutch, otherwise completely stock drivetrain
* ASP Pulley
* Vararam Intake
* Stock LS3 manifold (untouched) with stock ported TB

She's a BEAST on the street and lights the tires up underneath this 4000lb beast from a 2nd gear roll. FAST 102 and LPE 3.91 gear set coming soon.

http://youtu.be/OotfhosHMu4

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice! Have any video of the dyno pull or it on the street yet?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
So I guess that makes my full bolt-on, stock headed, cam-only LS2 numbers of 480/453 in a M6 GTO look pretty good.

That thing probably gets sideways at anything under 45mph. Bet it runs good.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't know if anyone has noticed this but a lot of guys who use the nightslayer cam are putting down almost the exact same numbers and it's a larger cam (231/236 LSA 111). For those who are trying to understand how much different the LS3 heads are from the cathedral style heads, this is a great example and goes to prove that you don't need to run a donkey d**k cam in order to get great power out of these heads. Also shows that gains are negligible at best from one cam running less duration on both the intake and exhaust on these heads.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Thats true. You can make the same or more power with a smaller cam on the LS3 heads than with the LS2 style head. My cam was pretty big to get those numbers (235/239?, .65x lift)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have seen this car in person at the Spartan Performance shop. It is RIDICULOUS!

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's got more. We're going to do a FAST 102/102 and go back for one more try at 500rwhp. I think we'll get it, which would be fantastic considering this camshaft "only" runs a 224* intake lobe. A true testament to well thought out combinations being a better option than whatever donkey cock camshaft the vendors are pushing that week. Every engine I build is thought out right down to every last detail. Driving habits, weight of the car, gearing, desired power delivery, clutch, etc..All those play a role in choosing a direction.

We'll also get the dyno functioning properly to get an accurate TQ curve.

So I guess that makes my full bolt-on, stock headed, cam-only LS2 numbers of 480/453 in a M6 GTO look pretty good.
What cylinder heads?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Nice work Josh, I need to find a blank check to give you.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Damn that sick on a smaller sized cam but spec out very well!!!!! I would love to run this in my gxp!! I bet the drivability is good too!! Did you change your valve springs? Also do you think it would run bad on a stock stalled auto or lower stalled car? I don't want to loose drivability.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
hmm, this is basically what i'm trying to accomplish. I was actually considering a set of AI LS3 heads as well... how is drivability?

·
GOT VTAK?
689 Posts
We need to dyno mine Josh!!

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work Josh, I need to find a blank check to give you.
Steve, I'll wind up building that car one way or the other. Whether it's you or Matthew. ;)

Damn that sick on a smaller sized cam but spec out very well!!!!! I would love to run this in my gxp!! I bet the drivability is good too!! Did you change your valve springs? Also do you think it would run bad on a stock stalled auto or lower stalled car? I don't want to loose drivability.
Valve springs absolutely have to be changed. Most aftermarket camshafts will require that. I would raise the LSA up to a 115-116 if you want to drive on a stalled car. With a higher LSA it will have outstanding driveability in an A6.

hmm, this is basically what i'm trying to accomplish. I was actually considering a set of AI LS3 heads as well... how is drivability?
Driveability in the M6 is beyond amazing. 6th gear driving @ 40mph lugging along @ 1200 rpms is no issue. No buck, no surge. The driveability would be the exact same in a stalled 6L80, and as I mentioned above raising the LSA a couple of hairs will make it do the same in a stock stalled car.

We need to dyno mine Josh!!
I've got a couple of things I want to run by you. Holler at me via email when you get a chance.

·
Registered
397 Posts
How drivable would this be in a DD?

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How drivable would this be in a DD?
Driveability in the M6 is beyond amazing. 6th gear driving @ 40mph lugging along @ 1200 rpms is no issue. No buck, no surge. The driveability would be the exact same in a stalled 6L80, and as I mentioned above raising the LSA a couple of hairs will make it do the same in a stock stalled car.
......:driving:......

Just a friendly heads up for those who are curious. I don't sell camshafts, they're cut through Cam Motion. I also do not spec camshafts for engines built outside the shop. These are my custom lobes and aren't available through Cam Motion unless I put in the order. Cam Motion will be more than happy to cut something on a similar lobe and sell it to you but they won't be Spartan exclusive lobes.

Carry on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts