Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Twice recently, I found a pile of debris on the right-hand side of the front passenger floormat where the ball of the right foot would be when sitting straight (small stones/rocks/gravel etc.). It's a mostly circular pile, about 3 inches across, and the debris crumbles a little when you apply some pressure.

I rarely have passengers, and I just got new mats a few days ago.

My best guess is that something is falling out around the slotted under-panel, but the foam and its adhesive were completely clean. Forgot to get a pic, sorry.

All ideas are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
You anywhere near Gatewell, Kentucky? You may be a victim of the infamous Gatewell Gravel Monster, whose fewmets resemble kitty litter. He is believed to be the offspring of a wandering Chucacabra and an Australian Drop Bear who was imported by Quantas for a photo session and then escaped.

Or else somebody, who you forgot about, maybe you, tracked in some debris.

I know which story I'd tell to my buddies!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me, i absolutely understand how CRAZY this sounds. That said, I was just hoping for a simple explanation like torn cabin filter.

On the plus side, when i took out the filter there was a ton of debris and it was flowing the wrong direction...so at least i had a chance to fix that.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
You would hope that the dirty filter was doing its part. All the air has to get thru that filter, then the fan blades, and then thru the evaporator, before all of that outside air enters the cabin. If that stuff came from the outside (using that route), I think your evaporator will eventually suffer big time. Now if you have the cabin air supply in the recirc mode a lot, maybe its finding a source of disintegrated foam like substance. But even that would have to go thru the evaporator, an that's still not good. Maybe there is some small opening (say) at some area behind the passenger side kick panel (as an example) that creates a negative pressure zone when driving along. An it sucks up small light weight items from the outside an dumps them in that general area. Sounds kinda far fetched actually. I guess I'm thinking a little to far out of the box on this one.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Do you park in a garage or outside?

If outside, do not underestimate the ******* nature of a mouse. On my Passat TDI (before the G8), I once found acorns in my air box, and a nest under the engine cover. Also a couple of chewed up injector wires. Luckily it ran fine until VW bought it back. :D

Could still happen in a garage, but less likely.

edit: apparently a-hole gets censored. lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you park in a garage or outside?

If outside, do not underestimate the ******* nature of a mouse. On my Passat TDI (before the G8), I once found acorns in my air box, and a nest under the engine cover. Also a couple of chewed up injector wires. Luckily it ran fine until VW bought it back. :D

Could still happen in a garage, but less likely.

edit: apparently a-hole gets censored. lol
Interesting idea...my car actually does sit about 5 feet from a large wooded park. Im not sure how well sealed the downstream ducting is, but as has been posted before, replacement filters usually dont seal completely, mine included.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Interesting idea...my car actually does sit about 5 feet from a large wooded park. Im not sure how well sealed the downstream ducting is, but as has been posted before, replacement filters usually dont seal completely, mine included.
I'd definitely start searching for evidence of a small critter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I worked at a Rolls Royce dealer a long time ago, there was a brand new Phantom that had engine bay damage due to rats/mice. The owner was pissed. Called his housekeeper right there in front of me. It's actually much more common than you would think. Critters build nests, chew wires, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
In hopes of avoiding rat or mice infestation, keep a stuffed animal under the car whenever it is parked outside for long periods of time. Periodically, will move it around so the fake animal won't be too obvious...laughing out loud. May only serve to soothe one's conscious, but no issues as of yet other than when someone/something "borrowed" and has yet to return Pikachu...shaking my head.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I vote mouse as well - any luck getting to the bottom of it? The fact it happened two different times definitely makes me think there's something alive there. Had that happen in my old Subaru - had a whole family living in it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts