Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Gravity Winning?

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Hot Rod 
#1 ·
Do anyone else have this issue with this plastic panel near/under the passenger side wheel?

I saw another parked G8 the other day and noticed that this panel was sagging as well.

When I was last under the car, I noticed that this panel looked like it would sag but I didn't see an extra hole where a clip would secure it to the body.

Part number? Tips?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Picture is fuzzy so I'm not sure if it is the same part, but mine came out and is hanging down also (assuming it is the same part). The car is at the body shop, but I swear I remember seeing a hole for a plastic push rivet.

#5 ·
Am readily familiar with the black plastic piece under the vehicle that sits behind the rocker panel. As aforementioned, it is held in place by at least one push pin and can't locate the part number. Since it doesn't quite sit flush with the vehicle, there's a possibility it became caught on something and tore the hole for the push pin.
I think that's the problem. It's only held in by a single plastic push rivet, which is odd.

#3 ·
I assume its the rocker panel you are describing.

#4 ·
Am readily familiar with the black plastic piece under the vehicle that sits behind the rocker panel. As aforementioned, it is held in place by at least one push pin and can't locate the part number. Since it doesn't quite sit flush with the vehicle, there's a possibility it became caught on something and tore the hole for the push pin.

#6 ·
I definitely agree that a strike tore the rivet out. Mine is cracked at the connection. I've just been too lazy to get a new push-rivet of the right size.

When I get the car back, maybe this is incentive to measure the diameter of the hole for the rivet. :D

#7 ·
I could use some help with a part number.

I was out driving today and every time I made a right turn, I heard a noise from the front right. Almost like a bad wheel bearing. It turns out the tire is rubbing against the trim piece now. I must have reversed enough for the trim piece to catch, dislodge itself, and break/rip off..

Attachments

#8 ·
It's part of the fender liner... 92270537 Fender Liner LEFT 92270538 Fender Liner RIGHT 92138627 Cowl Vent Panel/Fender Liner Retainer

Reactions: GXP25
#9 ·
Thank you!

You're correct, they are part of the fender liner. Which is good since I planned on replacing mine due to damaging both front sections (unrelated to this).

It looks like the part numbers you listed replace quite a few parts (92270537 (Left) replaces 92161689, 92251459, 92260897, and 92268803. 92270538 (Right) replaces 92161690, 92250250, and 92260898). Hopefully the updated design fixes this sagging issue.

I am seeing the following note about the bolts and push nuts (emphasis by me):

92268803 LINER,FRT W/H(S/S BY 92270537 - DUE TO LARGER BOLT HOLE LINER/ROCKER MOUT POINT MUST REPLACE WITH BOLTS 92139212 QTY 4 & PUSH NUTS 92139226 QTY 8) - LH
92260898 LINER,FRT W/H(S/S BY 92270538 - DUE TO LARGER BOLT HOLE LINER/ROCKER MOUNT POINT MUST REPLACE WITH BOLTS 92139212 QTY 4 & PUSH NUTS 92139226 QTY 8) - RH
These things are expensive (~$130 list price, ~$90 online). I was thinking about going aftermarket but then started to realize the sacrifice in quality when it comes to a piece like this.

Below are some images from an OEM used G8 fender liner (92161689) from a listing on eBay. The hole used to mount the liner to the underside of the vehicle is intact in my vehicle. It's the section circled in red that began to sag, which eventually was the catalyst to the further damage I created.

Attachments

#10 ·
You're welcome. Find it quite difficult to fathom paying $180 plus the ride for two pieces of molded plastic. Am sure the quality is better, but the principle still applies...it's contoured plastic. At any rate, others probably would disagree and that's okay too. Recommend purchasing a new fender liner(s) versus used. Good luck

#11 · (Edited)
Well, I purchased new OEM liners for the SS (they are made to fit our vehicles as well) and the cheap partslink ones from Amazon.

Avoid these cheaper partslink parts. ~$20-$30 a liner may be tempting, but they're that price for a reason. They material used is very soft and too pliable in my opinion.

Audio equipment Technology Electronic device

Close ups of the circled areas:

Floor Bumper Automotive exterior Flooring

Black Floor Flooring Automotive exterior Table

#13 · (Edited)
Here you can see the damage to my original liner when I failed to secure this to the bumper frame with zip ties while driving around without a bumper on. Basically, the tires rubbed on the plastic and melted the plastic.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Grass Auto part

Same area on the SS liner:

Helmet Automotive exterior Grass Bumper Vehicle

The G8 liner is not flat in this section while the SS's liner is. This is why new screws and plastic nuts are needed:

Fender

Floor

Red Bumper Fender Automotive exterior Auto part

New liner installed without the new screws:

Auto part Wheel Machine

New screw versus the old screw. Notice the extra screw material underneath the screw head:

Soil Rock Organism Geology Photography

Insect Butterfly Moths and butterflies Rock Soil

Soil Organism Geology Rock Road surface

New screw and new plastic nut next to the old scew and old plastic nut.

Soil Tree Wood Geology Plant

#14 · (Edited)
Screw P/N 92139212 (need four (4) for the front; two (2) per side):

Text Label Font

Plastic nut P/N 92139226 (need four (4) for the front; two (2) per side):

Material property Font Label

Since they're longer than the original plastic nuts, I damaged the hole in the side skirt trying to bend it out to insert this plastic nut. The damage is similar to what you'd find in bumper retaining holes (a slit in the hole). So be careful.

Attachments

#15 ·
Before I installed the new liners, I decided to install the fender fillers found on the SS (thank you to smwalker for the idea). They just get shoved in there.

Left: P/N 92266076
Right: P/N 92457872

Auto part
Black Glove Hand Leather Pattern
Bumper Bouldering Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle
Auto part Vehicle
Pattern Outerwear Textile Beige Denim
Auto part Bumper
Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Vehicle door Fender

Reactions: PONY MAN
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.