Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

A weird noise started happening (or at least I first noticed it happening) yesterday and seems to be louder today. It's a groan type noise....almost like a low pitch grinding that is audible only when stopped and with brakes applied (Parking brake produces the noise too). I've tried to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from and can't. At first I thought it was from the front passenger side, but after testing it out by sitting in the passenger seat, it sounds like it's coming from all over. I listened under the hood, and at each wheel...but nothing. It's only in the cabin.

I'm stumped...Anyone ever heard of anything like this? I've thought about every little thing going on mechanically when using brakes and nothing has proven to be what's causing it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hey guys,

A weird noise started happening (or at least I first noticed it happening) yesterday and seems to be louder today. It's a groan type noise....almost like a low pitch grinding that is audible only when stopped and with brakes applied (Parking brake produces the noise too). I've tried to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from and can't. At first I thought it was from the front passenger side, but after testing it out by sitting in the passenger seat, it sounds like it's coming from all over. I listened under the hood, and at each wheel...but nothing. It's only in the cabin.

I'm stumped...Anyone ever heard of anything like this? I've thought about every little thing going on mechanically when using brakes and nothing has proven to be what's causing it.
Hello vmorel1,

Sincere apologies for the noise you're experiencing. I'm certain that is a frustrating occurrence for you. I would be more than happy to schedule a diagnosis for you to have your vehicle inspected at a local GM dealer. Let me know if this is an option. Feel free to send me a private message regarding this matter. I look forward to hearing from you.

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, actually I think I may have fixed it...or at least figured out what's going on. After trying to find where a rattle was coming from when going over bumps, I re-adjusted the heat shields as they all seemed to be loose and potentially the culprit. I then noticed the one under the drive shaft looked really close and thought it might be rubbing. I played with it a little bit and the sound is now gone/happens less often. I'm so confused as to why it would happen only when applying brakes, but I guess ultimately it doesn't matter haha.

Would removing heat shields from above the exhaust be a bad idea? They all are hanging low and will definitely be the source of future rattles.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My heat shield has been rattling off and on for a while now. People have removed it in the past with no ill effects but I'm working on attaching it to stop the rattle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts